A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
270 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birch Tree Thread Catcher and Deer in the Forest Fabric Bin  (Read 2246 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator

Ooooo... Stickers!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 31, 2014 11:11:03 AM »

For the Invite Your Partner Swap R27, I was very fortunate to have LimeRiot as my partner! One of the things on her wishlist was a thread catcher, which is my experience is now a must have whenever I'm working on sewing projects of any sort. She listed birch trees as one of her favorite theme/patterns, and I already had the perfect fabric that was given to me in a private/local craft swap. She also mentioned liking needle-felted projects, so I made the pin cushion on top by needle-felting a grey lump with more birch trees "growing" across it. I'm really happy with the final look, and hopefully Lime can get lots of great use out of it!!

Inside the bin is a little loop for scissors, but I kept forgetting to buy scissors to send with the catcher, so there isn't a demonstration here. (I also tried to find leafy-pins to pin into the pincushion, but the craft stores weren't working with me on that).

The pin cushion has velcro so that it can be removed and toted somewhere else during sewing projects:

And no-slip material was sewn into the bottom of the weighted pad:

Originally, I really wanted to go over the top and carved some detailed deer stamps that I wanted to be weaving in and out of the trees, but when I turned out the bag, the ink wasn't dry enough and smeared everywhere! I wasn't completely satisfied with the cover up job, so I wound up making a plain replacement bin and sending the deer one as a separate extra. I also didn't like where the seam wound up since I didn't really think about the final product when I went stamping. I preferred making a new bin to sending the catcher with one that I didn't think looked the best, but after all the effort stamping the deer weaving in the trees (not to mention carving the stamps), I didn't want to leave this out of the package.

You can still see the faint brown smudges that were more visible in person even after attacking them with mineral spirits and stamping the leaves over some of them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014 11:13:47 AM »

It's fantastic, and so LimeRiot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014 02:05:00 PM »

What a wonderful and pretty thread catcher. Lucky Lime! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014 06:12:06 PM »

This is great!  And I think that thread catcher might be the perfect use for that print.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 84
LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015 04:17:02 PM »

Oh my gosh!! I can't believe this post escaped me!

I use my thread catcher ALL the time. I just adore everything about it. The amount of sewing scraps and tangles on my floor has significantly reduced since this arrived Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerfectlyBohemian
Fiber Arts Moderator

Ooooo... Stickers!

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015 07:01:15 AM »

Oh my gosh!! I can't believe this post escaped me!

I use my thread catcher ALL the time. I just adore everything about it. The amount of sewing scraps and tangles on my floor has significantly reduced since this arrived Smiley.

Yay! I'm glad you get good usage out of it. After a friend made me one a while back, I can't function without it. It's just so handy keeping scraps in line and having the scissors so handy hanging there waiting. Not to mention also being a pincushion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...