A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is monkey business and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 313,322
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Disorderly"/Rainbow Hoop (and girl hoop)  (Read 6305 times)
Tags for this thread: rainbow , hoopla , craftster_best_of_2014  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Smeddley
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 19, 2014 08:43:46 AM »

I made this hoop for Kwality570 in the IYP swap, based off a quote on her pinterest.  My idea was that I'd slap all sorts of stuff on it from my stash, in the spirit of the quote, in all the colors of the rainbow.  It was embarrassingly easy to find everything I needed...  The fabric squares are leftover from the enormous rainbow skirts I made a few years back, and the buttons and beads are all from my enormous collections!  The yarn bits all came out of my "tail ends" bowl, an idea I got from a friend who would cut all the leftover bits off of her projects and instead of throwing them away, put them in a bowl for display.  I started doing the same thing, and have found a lot of uses for those little leftover bits!  And, of course, the cross-stitch floss was the easiest part!

The quote took some doing.  I was working on two hoops at the same time (see girl hoop:

which was also part of same swap)

...and had initially started using my alphabet stamps to try to stamp the other saying on some fabric.  While it does work, and my ink was waterproof and all that good stuff, it looked a little messy and not perfect and I really didn't think I could handle this long of a quote!  So... I took the plunge, and ironed the fabric to a piece of freezer paper, and sent it through my printer.

IT WORKED!  Wonderfully, in fact.  I will be doing more of that (of course, now that I say that, the next one will jam up and destroy my printer, I'm sure!).

I was happy as a clam, and then I started stitching...

...and started hating it.  Really hating it.  I sent a picture to Cryssoleil, who encouraged me to keep going.  I was nervous, because... I knew it would take a lot of time, and if I still didn't like it... but she's an artist, and I trusted her opinion, so I kept going.  The next day's worth of work had it looking better:

And I showed it to more people, who also reacted favorably, so I kept at it!  The next marathon of Xena episodes got me this far:

And by then I was starting to like it, and was happy, and it was hard to stop on the next day with so little left to do but... I had been staying up WAY to late on work nights, so I forced myself to put it down.

And it did take some hours the next day to finish up all the bits and do the back, so I'm glad I didn't try to stay up!  In the end, I'm really happy with how it turned out!  I love working on these kind of "mindless" stitching hoops, it's very relaxing... after I get over the "I'm going to hate this" phase, because they always start out messy.

This also served as a completed project for the Winter Nerd Battles, an awesome craftalong hosted by the equally awesome LovelyMiss that you should all join (on Team Textbook, naturally!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014 08:51:15 AM »

These are both absolutely fantastic!  I love the disorderly hoop so much!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014 09:02:22 AM »

The first one makes me miss embroidery... I made something similar once, and now this makes me want to do it again! Doodle stitching FTW!
The second could be prominently displayed in my home somewhere, as I've become an expert at remaining calm on the outside, while I'm fuming mad on the inside.
Wonderful work, Smedley!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014 09:02:36 AM »

well done on sticking with the rainbow hoop. It's beautiful.  I also love the girl hoop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smeddley

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014 09:31:36 AM »

Ludi, thank you!  Coming from you that means a lot!

Belladune - Oh, you should do more!  It's so zen and relaxing (well, once I get over the "this is going to be awful!" bit).  And, yeah, that second hoop is applicable a LOT.  I really need it at my office, where people yell at me and I have to smile back pleasantly...  O.o

Elderflower - I'm so glad (and thankful to my friend!) that I did stick with it.  Now I want to make another one, but what do you bet I'd have the same crushing moment of doubt?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014 09:34:53 AM »

the same crushing moment of doubt

Believe it or not, I have that A LOT!  Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
dinkime

Do you like my scrapbook monocle?

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014 10:58:30 AM »

Love them!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014 12:28:28 PM »

I'm glad you didn't quit. This is lovely and inspiring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014 01:39:59 PM »

I just adore the first hoop!!! It's gorgeous and perfectly random.  I can't do random, it always really does look stupid!

I adore the saying on the second hoop.  I have that feeling a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014 02:47:43 PM »

In a way, I think it's good to worry and doubt, because it means you care about what you're making!  We just have to be careful not to become paralyzed by doubt or let fear of failure ruin our creativity!  (Someone once said that everything I do turned out and they were jealous, I said that of course it didn't, I've ruined and frogged more things than I can count, but I don't typically show off all my failures... sometimes, yes, but just last weekend alone I took apart half a dozen things that were never going to work!)

lindyv321, are you sure you can't do random?  I think most people don't like the way it looks when it starts, or even sometimes when it's finished, but if you put it away and look at it later... or better yet, take a picture of it and look at it later, pretending it's someone else's project?  We tend to be over-critical of ourselves as crafters...  I tend to dislike everything I do "random" at first, but I just keep adding to it until it grows on me!

And thanks, everyone, for the kind words!  After I got past that initial phase I really enjoyed working on it, I think I need to do more ransom button/bead hoops!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: WELCOME!
April 19, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Double Looped Dog Tug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...