A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 314,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gifts For Male Relatives?  (Read 2083 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_him , gifts_for_teens  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Quantumphysica
Dark Foe Of The World (Part-Time)

Sex, Crafts and Silmarils (Best of 2014 Winner!)

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2014 04:06:15 PM »

I have a huge problem finding gifts to make for my male relatives, namely my younger brother and my father. Any help here?

My brother has just turned 18 and right now he doesn't seem to have any clearly defined interests in anything. He's a great guy and we have a good relationship, but I have no idea what I could give or make him for Christmas that he won't think is stupid. (He does seem to be somewhat interested in world history, economy, geography, current news, etc but I have no clue how to make a non-lame gift relating to that...)

My father is more difficult. My relationship with him has been strained for a couple years already, and as we both avoid each other I barely see him let alone speak to him. Christmas is a real family event in our house though; everyone gives gifts to everyone, and not having a gift for my father would be plain rude, not to mention hurtful to my other relatives who have tried very hard to mend fences between him and me. I'm completely at loss of what to do/make!

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014 08:20:47 AM »

What about a vintage map or something made from a vintage map for your brother. Maybe a book on the history where he lives?

For your dad, how about a scarf or embroidered hankies? Does he likes sports or a particular book-maybe something with his favorite team or favorite book?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014 09:54:17 PM »

For your brother, does he like to sketch, makes notes, or journal - maybe a portfolio or journal made with fabric that encompasses some of his likes, or crafted from paper, or a repurposed book.  Or a messenger style bag with map fabric, or something vintage like what the journalists used during WWI or II.  If he has a tablet or cell phone, or is more tech oriented rather than hand writing, what about a cover for it along those lines?  Does he like other things - like is he a tea or coffee fiend - you could do a decorated travel mug, or a mug with a cozy, and some homemade flavoured tea/coffee mixes, or creamers/flavourings.

For your dad, what about something like rice or seed filled reusable hand warmers or a neck/back heat pack for helping with the cold winter, or aches and pains - pretty easy to make and useful, but not a lot of investment of time/effort.  You can make a removeable cover for them too for easy cleaning.  A coaster set, edible goodies too - like maybe candied or spiced nuts, a popcorn set with a bowl, a jar of popping corn, and homemade spice flavourings.  Doe he like to BBQ - homemade sauces/spice mixes, and a set of utensils maybe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mrs. Scriblz
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015 07:13:51 AM »

For your brother:
Basic survival gear: Tshirt, shorts, jeans, boxer shorts, sneakers, shaver/razor (optional).

Music: CD, DVD, Ipod and running accessories, guitar, drums, moraccas, keyboard.

Machines: TV, Computer, Laptop, DVD player, Mobile phone, Memory Stick, (if he is renting there is the entire catastrophe of fridge, washing machine, dryer, expresso machine).

Travel: Backpack, Return ticket, Global Positioning System, Navman, Sleeping Bag, Sunglasses, Travel Guides and Maps, Vaccinations, travel insurance.

For your Father:
Wallet
Google Chromecast
Nice shirt or sweater
Cologne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandit1990

Not currently interested in personal swaps

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015 11:39:49 AM »

For your brother-a stenciled tee shirt would be pretty cool. Maybe this stencil would be cool? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/563301865863233099/

You could make your own "cards against humanity" game. It seems like a satirical game and some of the cards made me laugh.

You could also do a "political cartoon" type theme. Print a political cartoon (i thought this one was pretty cool https://www.pinterest.com/pin/493144227923366855/) onto fabric and make a messenger type bag, or just print it on nice paper for a wall hanging.

For your dad- u can never go wrong with food. I liked the idea of a popcorn thing. Maybe add a movie and bam, there u go lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft all the things!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse
Best Friends
Whale what do we have here?

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...