A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
252 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 61
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Winter Nerd Battles: December 1, 2014 - February 28, 2015  (Read 173475 times)
Tags for this thread: craftalong , geek , nerd  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #200 on: January 02, 2015 03:06:52 PM »

Nerd News Update.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calliemae
« Reply #201 on: January 02, 2015 09:32:19 PM »

Prompt : dec - galapagos islands
Team : Wordy
Bonus Points : n / a
Project name :frog
brief description : when tree frogs began breeding on the galapagos islands they upset the natural balance of the island as they ate large quantities of native insects. To reset the balance the frog population was reduced by raising the salt water levels and poisoning the frogs with caffeine. This needle felted frog is part of a now much smaller frog population on the galapagos islands.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitted Items in 2016:
Finished projects in 2016:

https://www.pinterest.com/calistaemilymae/
LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #202 on: January 03, 2015 03:18:53 PM »

vincentvanbuck - Great secret projects!  I bet roler is going to love them!

craftADDchick - Such a cute hat!  Great reusing on the zipper pouch, and the pyramid bags awesome!  And those guinea pigs!  Eep!  So cute!

Amaranth_in_oz - Super creepy ATC!

rockingbearranch - Yum!  I love homemade ice cream!

roler - I love the fabric on that stocking!  So festive!

calliemae - Cute froggie!  I have yet to try needle felting, but it's on my list to hopefully try this year! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artsycandice
Art makes me happy, and birds. Birds make me happy too.

I just want to drink coffee, create stuff, & sleep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2015 10:20:30 PM »

Prompt: Red Alert! Holiday Spirit
Team: Randomizer
Bonus Points: 0
Project Name: Fabric Christmas Trees
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: I made these trees for P_E_S_T in the stocking swap. She hasn't received them yet, there's apparently some craziness happening at the post office.
Project Picture:

Prompt: January - Flash Mob
Project Name: Chick collage
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: This fits the prompt because I used some silkscreened chicks that I made for a class. The project was meant to represent the number of male chicks culled in the egg industry each year. The number is staggering, and would give anyone the chills. I was at odds with the instructor on this project and it ended up leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. I had to rip up one of the prints and collage them onto an old painting of mine to try to redeem the emotion. It's not a stellar piece, but it helped me work through some stuff. The text is from a damaged dictionary that I found for free.
Project Picture:

Prompt:  Red Alert! - National Hobby Month
Project Name: Cute Portraits
Project Link: Cute Animal Portraits
Brief Description: I made this illustration for kwality in the most recent IYP swap. I have been drawing these characters for more than a decade. As much as I daydream about them being a more regular feature in my life, they are just a hobby, still
Project Picture:

Prompt:  January - Frozen Tundra
Project Name: Winter Solstice ATC
Project Link: 0
Brief Description: I made this winter-inspired ATC for December's swap.
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Crafster Best of 2014 Winner!

STS Shop Winter 2016
50 in 2014
50 in 2015
rockingbearranch
« Reply #204 on: January 04, 2015 06:08:54 AM »

Warning....political/animal talk....

Thank you for sharing your chick print even though it is painful to you. I am wondering what your art instructors thoughts were. You are correct that many males are processed (killed). Culled is to remove them from the flock which can also be re-homed. That is also why I feed my dogs real people food rather than giving them the processed parts in cheap dog food. Just like humans, chickens bear roughly half males and half females. Even in nature the males will have to rebalance a flock to about one male for every 3-10 females by fighting until death or driving them out. Males without a flock are going to be taken by a predator.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #205 on: January 04, 2015 08:50:43 AM »

Thanks for the Guinea pig love! I still have one more to make for my co-worker's daughter, and then I might make one for myself. It isn't often that I make multiples of things, but the cute factor certainly helps! And, every time I add the face, I love how cute they are. And then, when the ears get added, it makes it so hard to mail them away!

So, after a rather rapid and very stressful month of December, I finally had a chance to check out all of the projects. So much great stuff! If I double-commented or missed something, I apologize Wink

FreakieGeekie, what adorable little stockings! I bet a bunch of them would make a really cute garland or bunting. And, your Christmas stocking is great- I love the purple and black! And, what an excellent idea to twist the purple and black yarns together to make the hat. Cute avatar, too- I love how you were able to personalize it! Great Link hat, too!

roler, I love your Dr. Who stocking! Your tardis scarf is outstanding! You are rockin' your new sewing machine! The Batman stocking came out great, too, as did your Japan-themed stocking (I love that it looks like perler beads)! And, while I don't watch Dr. Who (the shame!), I love your tiny Dr. Who! And, once I recover from December and get caught up on some things, I'll think about a Guinea pig for you!

storerboughtcreations, I love that red-crowned crane! And, your frog is great, too, but I am a little partial to frogs Smiley And, Scotty the Moose is adorable (and gives me an idea for something... hmmm...). Love your elf, too! I hope she's a sweet one and not naughty like that other elf...The Eye of Ra is pretty neat, and the dino (Rawr!) is cute- I haven't done plastic canvas, but my mom had a set of coasters made like this, and now I want to try it. I think the blue-footed boobie is my favorite, though! I them with their perpetually cold-looking feet.

jillybeans, those Cat in the Hat shoes are amazing and I'd totally wear them! I wish I had painting skills!

oddacity, your silver fern merit badge is fantastic. I love how it looks so much like the ones I had when I was in Girl Scouts. And, that yarn is gorgeous and even though it didn't get used for the Grey Gardens (which came out so nice- I need to work on  my knitting so I can try that technique), it'll be gorgeous when you use it.

bunny1kenobi, what a pretty Christmas wreath. I love how you could leave it up all winter as a little reminder of the wintry weather up North Smiley  Your Frozen dress is super cute- I love how you captured their braids! But, your Bacon shirt is the BEST! I love how you made it look vintage, too (I have a Coca-Cola  shirt that is very similar). Great Iron Man shirt, too (I always love your stencil work!). I think I need to steal your "Awesome" shirt idea (the theme for our team this year is "Be More Awesome"). And your Minion shirt, I think I need one of those, too Smiley And, Bigfoot... yes...  I finally saw almost all of Frozen (the first time the borrowed disc was so badly scratched, I missed half of the movie, but for the latest viewing, it was only mildly scratched so I only missed one spot), and loved it, and while I wouldn't wear an Elsa hat, you did a great job on it and I know plenty of little girls who would love it!

gozer, I'd wear that snowflake dress in a heartbeat! It would just need to be bigger Smiley And the crocodile and cheetah print ones are excellent, too! The little skirt and shirt sets are also adorable. Great Tacky Light shirt- tinsel garland just ups the tacky factor, doesn't it? Amazing job on the quilt (and good for you for powering through the challenges!). It looks like it will keep him plenty warm!

hesperornis, I love that you preserved your Grandfather's tortilla recipe and that he helped you to convert it into cups. What a great memory!

artsycandice, I love how you worked out the Galapagos prompt and made such a cute puppet! And the leopard cat puppet is super cute, too! But, I think the sheep is my favorite! Your Christmas bag is so fun and your Goldfish stuffie looks just like the crackers! Great job on the Idaho potato costume- very realistic-looking potatoes, too! And, adorable sea dragon and fairy ornaments- thanks for sharing how you made them! I love the fabric Christmas trees (great fabrics!). For your chick collage, I'm glad it helped you work through some of those emotions, and it makes me glad that the chicken in my freezer is from a small, local farm. And, your cute animal portraits are adorable (I love the hedgehog)! Your winter solstice ATC is very soothing to me! For some people, the beach is a calming influence (hot, sandy, potential for drowning? no thanks!), but I love forest scenes, and snow-covered forest scenes, especially!

Smeddley, I love your rainbow hoop and the sentiment on it! Your Samurai Jack needlebook is fan-tastic! I love your sari bracelet, too- I have a kumihimo disc somewhere and one of these days, I'll try it out. I love how you used sari yarn (which I've never seen). And, I love your little dragon! Your Hobbit door is fantastic!

Ludi, love the TM-style coasters! I'd be worried that I'd ruin them if I used them as coasters. And, you cat sweater- I love it! And, your Charlie-in-the-Box is fantastic (and a clever interpretation of the theme)!

Calabaza, I always love your macaron coin purses! And, I haven't had a popcorn ball in forever, but now, I have a craving for them!

rockingbearranch,  what a great Madonna matchbox! The llama and alpaca ATCs  are fantastic- you captured their expressions so well! I love the finch, too (the quintessential Galapagos bird). And, great use of scraps to make dog toys! No sense spending a ton of money when the toys will only get ripped apart. Cute fortune cookie and snowman ornament, too! Your India-inspired mermaid is pretty cool! I love all of the texture and I really like the background- it looks more like watercolor than acrylic. And, after reading about your cowboy coffee, I am intrigued and wonder what the egg does that improves the coffee. I might have to do some research! Smiley And, while it's a bit chilly for me to eat ice cream, that vanilla sure looks delicious!

Amaranth_in_oz, I love your  Sandman ATC, especially his shell buttons and sunglasses! Your Santa ATCs came out great, too. Your Trapped ATC is excellent, but I have to scroll past it quickly now because it give me the chills, too! Very effective image!

Inselaeffchen, your Jags coasters and placemats came out amazing! Did you seal them with something so the vinyl doesn't peel off? I'd hate to see them get ruined! And, I love that Golden Snitch ornament- very clever!

crazyda79, great ornaments! I don't have a tree, but seeing fun ornaments always makes me want to get one! Nice job on the tissue holder- I never would have thought to make one out of felt, so now I might have to try it! Great cow picture frame- one of my college friends used to collect cow stuff, and she would have loved this! And the science hoop, simply fabulous! And, I never knew you could make homemade gesso! I'll have to look into that! And, nice job on the medal holder and it's great that it's daughter-approved! And, that little winter beanie is super sweet and would make a great remembrance item!

Tanath, nice job on the star! I've never done beadwork like that before, but the star wants me to give it a go. It's so tiny and cute! Is it double-sided?

LovelyMiss, great job on the bird houses, and clever idea to include a bag of nesting materials! Well done!

vincentvanbuck], nice job on the stocking! And, the supersecretitem came out great, too!

calliemae, while the story of the frogs made me sad for many reasons (upset of the ecosystem and eventual destruction of the frogs), the needle-felted frog is super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #206 on: January 04, 2015 09:26:42 AM »

Thank you!

artsycandice, the wintery ATC is lovely and the animals are adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2015 10:54:13 AM »

Prompt:  January- Flash Mob
Team: Textbook
Bonus Points: Engineering
Project Name: Owl Man Exists!
Project Link: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=437501.0
Brief Description: I made this for artsycandice in the Cryptid Swap. The images I used as a reference were pretty creepy, and once Owl Man was finished, I had him on the dresser in the bedroom. When I turned out the lights to go to sleep, I could feel him watching me, so I had to get back up and put him in the other room for the night! Even now, thinking about it, I get chills up and down my spine!
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
artsycandice
Art makes me happy, and birds. Birds make me happy too.

I just want to drink coffee, create stuff, & sleep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2015 04:12:10 PM »

Prompt:  Red Alert - New Year's Resolution
Bonus Points: Engineering
Project Name: Fabric Origami Cicada
Project Link: Fabric Origami Cicada
Brief Description: I have wanted to make something interesting in origami for years but it wasn't until I saw the cicada instructions that I was motivated to give it a try, and in fabric! Enjoy the tutorial!!
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Crafster Best of 2014 Winner!

STS Shop Winter 2016
50 in 2014
50 in 2015
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #209 on: January 04, 2015 05:45:47 PM »

Ooo, fabric origami! I looked into that a few years back but never did much of anything. I think you might have inspired me to take another peek.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 61 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...