A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
248 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 61
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Winter Nerd Battles: December 1, 2014 - February 28, 2015  (Read 173476 times)
Tags for this thread: craftalong , geek , nerd  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Tanath
« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2014 02:32:10 PM »

Ok, who keeps pressing the fast-forward button? A whole year just disappeared here.
I did actually get some stuff done this month (and a tracking report will be posted this weekend).

Prompt: December Battle Royal - North
Team: Fandom
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Stars
Project Link: (if available)
Brief Description:
I made these for a friend for her Christmas tree. One in pink for her pink-crazy princess daughter, and one in blue for her 3-months old son. This project fits the prompt in more ways than one - first, there's the whole Christmas - North Pole thing, but that's not why I chose North. My friend is Norwegian, which is definitely north of here. But also, she live about 200 meters due north of where I live, which I found is an amusing interpretation for the prompt. I only have a picture of the blue star, because the pink one has been hand delivered (from my daughter to my friend's daughter) and is on their tree. I'll try to get a pic of both when I go visit her again.
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Start at the beginning, and when you come to the end, stop! - Alice in Wonderland
LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #181 on: December 31, 2014 02:34:02 PM »

Prompt:  December Battle Royale - North
Team:  Randomizer
Bonus Points:  N/A
Project Name:  Birdhouse
Brief Description:  I made a couple of these bird houses for my family and my future MIL.  I chose North, because cabins make me think of the North.  I also included a little bag of scraps (ribbon, threads, fabric) to hang out for the birdies to use as nesting material.

Project Picture:

Project Name:  Birdhouse
Brief Description:  Same as above!  The houses have a USA sign, which is where I was born and live.

Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LovelyMiss
Craftalongs Moderator
Crafting for Good Moderator
Home Sweet Home Moderator

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

« Reply #182 on: December 31, 2014 03:46:13 PM »

hesperornis - Those tortillas look delicious!  How cool to learn that from your grandpa.

artsycandice - Your Research Project is so cool and pretty!  Way to go finishing that project!  Such a cute goldfish, too!  And the potato costume is great!  Fantastic puppets!  I love the sheep.  And your sea dragon and fairy ornaments are so cute!  What a great idea!

FreakieGeekie - What a cool stocking!  I saw that yarn in the store...it is super bright in person.  Cheesy  Great hat, too!  That is a neat effect.  Your animated sprites turned out awesome!  And the Link hat is fantastic!

oddacity - That is such a lovely wrap!  I love the colors so much!

gozer - The tacky light tradition sounds fun, and so does the run!  Great shirt to match!  Fantabulous quilt!  Way to go finishing that monster project!  Congrats!

Smeddley - Your rainbow hoop is awesome!  I love the texture and buttons!  The needlebook is also perfect!  And your sari bracelet is very pretty!  I have some sari yarn, too, that I got recently.  I've been trying to figure out a project.  And Kumihimo is fun, but definitely deceptively time consuming!  Cheesy  The dragon and hobbit door are both so cute, too!

Ludi - Nice TM coasters!  The roses are so pretty, and the armadillo is awesome!  But the anime kitty takes the cake for me.  Cheesy  What a sweet little sweater for Hermoine...even if she hasn't really taken to it!  And your Ninni!  So great!

Calabaza - I love the color of that coin purse!  The popcorn looks super yummy, too!

rockingbearranch - Welcome to the Battles!  I'm glad you're playing along this season.  Your Madonna matchbox is beautiful!  Good luck on your Research Project!  Your ATCs are super adorable, too!  Great use of scraps for the dog toys, and your secret project for aimr is really cute!  That's a sweet little snowman, too!  And that sounds like a great campaign...I could benefit from that approach!  Great salvage project on that canvas!  It is so pretty!

roler - Fantastic stocking!

vincentvanbuck - I'm glad you're back on Craftster and joining in another round of the Nerd Battles!  I look forward to seeing your Research Project!  Good luck!

Amaranth_in_oz - Welcome back!  Those are such great ATCs!  I really love the sandman, too!

Inselaeffchen - Great idea for the vinyl cut outs!  That snitch is super cool, too!

crazyda79 - What awesome ornaments!  The tree looks great!  The tissue holder is a handy idea, and picture frame is so fun!  I love the science hoop, and the homemade gesso is genius!  Great idea for the medal holder...what a nice gift!  That little hat is adorable!

bunny1kenobi - That Frozen hat is so great! 

Tanath - What a lovely star!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2014 04:06:09 PM »

bunny1kenobi, that Frozen hat is just too adorable!  So clever.

Prompt: December Battle Royale - North
Team: Multimedia
Project Name: roler's stocking
Project Link: http://imaginegnats.com/the-falling-flakes-stocking-tutorial/
Brief Description: I made this stocking for roler in this year's Stocking Swap.  Next year, Santa will b able to fly down from the North Pole and fill it with goodies for her!
Project Picture:

This is the first time I ever attempted any kind of quilting.  I did bands of alternating width on the front side:

And I loved this fabric so much, so I figured I'd save it for the stocking back:

My favorite part of the stocking is actually the lining.  Oh my gosh, I was never so scared to mess up a craft in my life -- after spending 2 days on the stocking exterior, I had to sew it shut into the lining!  I thought I was going to mess it up for sure, but it came out just like it was supposed to.

Prompt: December Flash Mob
Team: Multimedia
Project Name: TARDIS Deck Holder
Project Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ioahNLPyrg
Brief Description: My ancestors on my mother's side came from what is now the UK.  This TARDIS also clearly originates from the UK.
Project Picture:

This TARDIS canvas box is "supposed" to be a Magic: The Gathering deck holder, but I'm sure roler can find any number of nerdy treasures to store inside. Wink

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015 02:15:53 PM by vincentvanbuck » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
    Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
    craftADDchick
    Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
    « Reply #184 on: December 31, 2014 06:38:17 PM »

December was a tough month, but between yesterday and today, I managed to get three projects done!

Prompt:  December Battle- North
    Team: Textbook
    Bonus Points: UFO (I started this back in an IYP Swap, and then broke my wrist)
    Project Name: Reindeer Hat
    Project Link: n/a
    Brief Description: Reindeer are essentially caribou, an animal common in the northern regions. The hat pattern also could be called a moose, which are also more common in the north.
    Project Picture:

Prompt:  December Flash Mob-Cultural Roots: Ireland
    Team: Textbook
    Bonus Points: UFO (the shamrock is a shirt remnant I've been saving for a project)
    Project Name: Irish Zipper Pouch
    Brief Description: My grandfather was a first generation Irish American, so my mom is 1/2 Irish, which makes me 1/4. We took a family trip to Ireland about 20 years ago to look up the family history. My grandfather on my father's side came from Maine, and the pouch also represents some genuine Yankee frugality. Not only is the zipper salvaged, the canvas is a remnant from a canvas dropcloth from another project, and the shamrock bit is from the sleeve of a shirt I used for another project. Because the canvas had a tendency to fray, I used bias binding, instead of a lining, to finish the seams.
    Project Picture:

Prompt:  December- Egypt
    Bonus Points: n/a
    Project Name: Pyramid Bags
    Brief Description: When I think of Egypt, I naturally think of the pyramids. I stitched up both of these bags this afternoon, and they were put into use immediately to carry the winnings from a lively game of Michigan Rummy. Not my winnings, however Smiley I used the Pyramid Bag Tutorial here on Craftster (this post, in particular) and made both bags fully lined.
    Project Picture:

I also got these finished a little bit before Christmas!

Prompt:  December- Japan
    Bonus Points: n/a
    Project Name: Amigurumi Guinea Pigs
    Brief Description: When I think of Japan, I think of cute crafts, especially amigurumi. And, these Guinea pigs are exactly that! I made them for my friend after she saw the picture of the first one I made not too long ago. This duo is destined for a pair of sweet little girls!
    Project Picture:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015 04:32:14 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
    Smeddley
    « Reply #185 on: December 31, 2014 06:47:45 PM »

Yay, I'm not alone on my team anymore!  Way to go, craftADDchick!  I love it all, but I really want some of those pyramid bags!  Cheesy
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    craftADDchick
    Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2014 06:59:09 PM »

Smeddley, I had that other project to finish before I could craft anything else Smiley But, once I finished it, 3 projects got completed!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smeddley
    « Reply #187 on: December 31, 2014 07:08:15 PM »

I did notice you did get the time-sensitive ones done, that's what's important!  Cheesy
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    craftADDchick
    Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #188 on: December 31, 2014 07:11:36 PM »

I did notice you did get the time-sensitive ones done, that's what's important!  Cheesy

Last night and this afternoon Smiley I planned ahead and packed what I needed. My suitcase will have a bit more room in it when I head home. Smiley
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
    Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #189 on: December 31, 2014 09:52:28 PM »

More guinea pigs! Aw, they make me happy just looking at them, craftADDchick. Time to get mine out again  Smiley

Thanks, LM! You are certainly on a roll with those birdhouses. I love your colorful bags of scraps!

Tanath, that star is beautiful!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    Threads you might like:
    Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 61 Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
    only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search
    Crafting Ideas
    Crafting How-Tos
    Crafting Ideas
    Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
    Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
    Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
    Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...