A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 61
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Winter Nerd Battles: December 1, 2014 - February 28, 2015  (Read 172941 times)
Tags for this thread: craftalong , geek , nerd  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #280 on: January 12, 2015 11:24:36 AM »

Hey all!  I'm back!  Time to bombard you all with my crafts!  December was a busy month of crafting for me!!!

Prompt: December - New Zealand
Team: Multimedia
Bonus Points: NA
Project Name: Brown Cowl
Project Link: NA
Brief Description: As you may know, there are lots of sheep in New Zealand.  Sheep make wool, wool makes yarn, and BAM, yarn makes cowl!  I whipped up a lot of cowls for christmas presents, here is a lovely brown one that shows my mastery over my loom and the pattern I found online.  My first one wasn't as nice.  The first stitch is called a garter stitch where you knit one row and then perle the next for a total of 5 rows, and then continue on with the 3 step stitch, and its very easy.  Here is a link to the tutorial I used for the 3 step stitch:  http://www.loomahat.com/three-step-stitch/#comment-60955
Project Picture:

Prompt:  December - India
Project Name: Green Cowl
Brief Description: Another cowl, this one for my mom.  The yarn I used is really soft and silky, and may actually be either a silk or bamboo blend, and has shimmer parts which is reminiscent of a sari.  I've had this yarn in my stash for a long time.  I bought it with the intention of making something for my mom, but never got around to doing so.  I'm glad I finally got to put it to use!
Project Picture:

Prompt:  December - Galapagos Islands
Project Name: Curious George Shirt
Brief Description:  As you know, Darwin's theory is based off the evolution of monkeys into men.  So, here is Curious George!  A curious little monkey!  I participated in a christmas swap with my september mom group on Facebook.  So, I made my partner's son a shirt, since he loves Curious George.  I used freezer paper stenciling to create this, and then freehanded the lines and details using fabric paint.
Project Picture:

Prompt:  December - Egypt
Project Name: Multicolored Cowl
Brief Description: Yes, another cowl.  This one reminds me of Egypt, with its sparkling deserts and hidden gems.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I'm so crafty, I make babies!  Baby Bean 2.0 born 6/1/16
gozer
If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: January 12, 2015 12:00:12 PM »

Ludi Cool fridge magnet. You can never have enough of those.
 Vincentvanbuck I like that the stockings are Christmassy but not overly holiday themed. I like that you took regular non-holiday fabrics instead of all snowflakes, santas and holly leaves. It looks more original. Way to think out of the box!
 Calabaza Its a shame the brittle didnt turn out because it sure looks good! Perfect fabric for the doodad holder lid. What are fabric stamps though? The noodly thing and the pancakes look delectable. Yum, I just got really hungry.
 Bunny1kenobi You know I LOVE those shoes. Absolutely love them. They are beyond awesome!!!
 Mountains and Clouds I make clothes for Monster High dolls sometimes and sewing that small is so hard! You did an amazing job on the dresses for your Blyth dolls. I think they are close in size (tiny arms and waist) to the MH girls. Great bag too. Very fun Hawaiian fabric.
 CraftADDchick love that vibrant shade of purple hat. Looks very comfy too.
 Elliot_anne Welcome to the Games and Team Wordy!!! Very cute penguin cards!
 Jillybeans - The cowls look very warm and pretty. I think I like Egypts colors best. Very cute George shirt! Great job on the stenciling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

« Reply #282 on: January 12, 2015 03:29:25 PM »

I am fascinated by the knot bags.  So simple and smart.

Jillybeans, you have been so busy!!  Curious George is so cute!  And my fave cowl is also the Egypt one.  I'd totally wear that.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

It's a long story.

« Reply #283 on: January 12, 2015 04:25:22 PM »

Thanks, gozer!

Yes, the brittle did turn out pretty. Unfortunately that was the only thing in its favor. Starting with the directions and ending with the taste (Ew! That was NOT brittle. And I am not picky.)
These are fabric stamps- just don't try to pay the post office with them  Wink : http://nanacompany.typepad.com/nanacompany/2013/08/-airmail.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gozer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: January 12, 2015 04:37:27 PM »

fabric stamps are adorable!!!! Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockingbearranch
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2015 04:39:30 PM »

Prompt:  January Battle Royal - Warm
Team: Wordy
Bonus Points: (include which bonus points you think you've earned, e.g., Giver, Engineering, UFO)
Project Name: Global warming
Project Link:
Brief Description: I chose warm because the cold stinks! I did this ATC for the ongoing swap while watching a talk about global warming and evolution. The person requested a card with an animal that doesn't normally have antlers.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockingbearranch
« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2015 04:53:59 PM »

Prompt:  January Challenge - You're as Cold as Ice
Team: Wordy
Bonus Points:
Project Name: Paper dolls
Project Link: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428921.msg5279115#msg5279115
The link takes you to my old tutorial on French knot paper dolls. I am assuming no bonus points since the tute is not recent.

Brief Description: This is a set of dolls I made for the paper doll swap. I was afraid they went on a trek to the Arctic but my partner finally received them. Here is Jon Snow who is named for the cold stuff though I'm told he is actually a nice guy in the show. Edward Scissorhands is literally cold since he is part machine.
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015 05:28:21 PM by rockingbearranch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gozer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: January 13, 2015 05:58:49 AM »

I really like that John Snow paper doll rockingbearranch! You did an amazing job! And I like your ATC too. I chose the same theme but different animal!  Wink

Prompt:  January - Battle WARM
Team: Wordy!!
Bonus Points: -0-
Project Name: Cat Tub
Project Link: (if available)
Brief Description: My neighbors cat likes me more. She hangs out at my house, looks in my windows and hangs out in the garden. I have been really worried about her being outside in the cold so before the last cold front came thru my Mom and I made her a bed for when she refuses to go back to the neighbors house. It's two plastic tubs with Styrofoam to insulate it and help it remain water proof. I also have a towel inside for warmth and an old dish towel to keep the breeze out. It doesn't look fancy but it is very practical and works! My Mom has two outside of her house and her cats love them. I would let me neighbors cat in but she isn't declawed and I have three declawed cats inside... plus a bunny.
Project Picture:

This pic shows the inside before the second tub was added. The Styrofoam  went all the way around. I filled in the gaps and added it to the top as well.

This is the finished look. Not fancy but practical and it keeps her warm.

Prompt: January - Freezing Point
Project Name: Franks wife necklace
Brief Description: Inspired by zero, an O. This necklace is circular. The shape of a zero. Plus, Ms. Frank is probably very cold to touch since she was (is?) dead.  Wink
Project Picture:

Prompt: January - C.O.L.D
Bonus Points: +10 (COLD)
Project Name: Cute Ole Literary Device
Brief Description: Bunny1kenobi, lindyv321 & I are all doing a Reading Challenge this year. I sent Bunny1 these bookmarks to help her along when she is reading actual books and not e-books.  Smiley They were inspired by her Pinterest board of bookmarks. These were done on marker board with Copics and covered with contact paper.
Project Picture:

Prompt: Red Alert - Holiday Spirit
Bonus Points: UFO
Project Name: The Bunny1kenobi necklace
Brief Description: Bunny1 made a joke about a necklace of her name a while ago and I got the supplies and meant to have it ready way before Christmas but then I ended up having to make it in December. Best laid plans.  Tongue But here it is. A bunny1kenobi necklace that I sent to her for our gift exchange. It was done with Copic markers.
Project Picture:

Prompt: Red Alert - New Years Resolution
Project Name: Yellow Bird
Brief Description: I got a set of those Inktense Pencils that everyone is raving about and producing amazing art with. Mine, eh... not so much. I think I need to play with them more, use a different paper (maybe water color paper?) and lay them on thicker. I think I was light with them. I ended up adding some Copic markers. I think next time I will try layering too. Still learning with them but everyone else has had stellar results so I know its me. The ATC theme was unexpected animals with antlers (what a great theme!).
Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #288 on: January 13, 2015 06:34:39 AM »

Beautiful drawings, gozer!  I especially like the bunny.  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
roler
« Reply #289 on: January 13, 2015 06:36:54 AM »

Hello all!  After several weeks of hosting house guests and attending holiday events, I'm finally home with my apartment to myself again!  ...with the exception of three tiny new roommates, who are all degus, and whom I have named Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup - I definitely want to craft something for my lovely new pets at some point, but I have a huuuuge list of other stuff to do first!  And right now, I just want to catch up on all the awesome projects here! XD

calliemae - super cute fuzzy frog!!  I love the cute round eyes! Maybe I should try needle-felting for my new year's red alert prompt, since I've been wanting to learn that skill for a while now... but jewelry-making is so tempting too...  

artsycandice - Your fabric Christmas trees are wonderful!  I like how the fabrics look so incredibly Christmassy together, even when separately they really aren't specifically Christmas prints at all.  Sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant experience with the chick art, but the collage turned out beautifully.  And wow - I really hope you find the time someday to do something big with those adorable animals you draw!  Beautiful winter ATC too - the lace is a lovely touch.  I really love the effect you got with those fabric cicadas, especially the blue one on the left, where the back of the fabric makes such a nice contrast!  Super cool!  Hahaha, what a cute Ninni, little toosh included!

craftADDchick - Wow, Owl Man really is super creepy!  And I can see why your own art spooked you; it really captured that unsettling atmosphere!  Very well done!  The hat is really nice.  I love tams in general, and that one is such a lovely color and design! Smiley

Ludi - Now that I've been spending more time at the pet store, I've seen a lot of pet igloos, but yours looks every bit as nice and quite a bit more cozy than any of the ones I've seen on the shelves!  I'm sure Hermione loves it!  Awesome youtube clip you linked there - I can absolutely see the appeal in that mad baddie!  And the magnet cracks me up; I'd be tempted to use it to attach all sorts of photos to the fridge, like coupons for ice cream - my only weakness!! (until my next "only" one gets stuck to the fridge!)

kwality570 - Hi!  People are saying they recognize your style, so I feel I must have been missing out on some major cuteness!  That narwhal is most definitely kawaii, and I love the texture and colors! Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff! Smiley

storerboughtcreations - Awesome that people ordered your cute magnets!  That's always a sure way to know your art is really appreciated! XD  I especially like the money tree!

Tanath - Thanks, yeah, I can totally see the depth in the newer picture - even in the first picture I kinda thought they were shaped like that, which is why I asked.  Super cute stars!

LovelyMiss - Your "Not Paper Towels" look super stylish as well as useful and eco-friendly. Smiley  I agree though that I'd need a billion because I make so many messes and spills, I wouldn't be able to keep up with the laundry!  Love the fabric you used!  I like that it looks like Santa is actually riding your candy sleighs, too!  Gorgeous fabrics on the rice packs; that is something I might copy from you, since I have a bunch of old rice that has probably been sitting around for a bit too long to be eaten.  And in this weather, a nice warm rice pack now and then would be great! I agree that those treats certainly look delicious; what a shame that they weren't!  All three of your bird ornaments are adorable!!  The rough edges are super charming.  My grandma always has a lot of bird ornaments on her tree, and those would fit in beautifully!  They really remind me of family Christmas. Smiley  Thanks for the new badges; I need to get back to work on earning some of those!

rockingbearranch - Hahaha, your Lebowski hoopla is totally cute, and I love the way you used the letters of COLD - perfect!!  And wait - do you mean you even freehanded the writing, other than lines to keep it straight?!  The font looks gorgeous!!  I like that ATC a lot too - definitely an animal that doesn't usually have antlers!  Neat paper dolls, too!

I'm looking forward to seeing the bag projects that gozer and Calabaza are working on!  

bunny1kenobi - Oh man, I have let the glue go bad on so many stickers in the past; you'd think I'd learn!  Nice to see you found a good way to use them anyway!  The keys look VERY cool, and also like a great way to tell a bunch apart!  I have spare keys to three different friends' houses, and something like that might help save me some time outside their doors! The Riding Hood shoes are very very cool - so classy looking!!

vincentvanbuck -  I absolutely LOVE the stocking you made me, and I'm sure your friends will be thrilled with theirs as well!!  I'm especially impressed with how beautifully lined it is!  Just wonderfully well done all around, and so pretty! Smiley

Calabaza - What a disappointment with the peanut brittle!!  I hope you have better luck with whatever sweets you make next!  The fabric stamps and pin cushion jar topper sound like a wonderful gift!!  Your Noodle Thing description made me laugh out loud - glad this recipe worked!!  So exciting to recreate a family favorite. Smiley    And excellent creativity with the Egypt prompt. XD

Mountains and Clouds - Yup, totally doing it right! Smiley I'm very jealous of your warm climate right now, or anywhere where those cute mu'u mu'us would be wearable right now! Very pretty fabric!  And that knot bag design looks wonderfully practical!  Great idea!

elliot_anne - Hooray, it's so nice to see so many people joining! Smiley  Welcome!  Your penguin cards are totally cute!

jillybeans - Your December busy-ness sure seems to have paid off! Smiley That brown cowl is SO neatly done, it's just stunning.  And the colors on the other two are just gorgeous as well.  The curious George is just adorable!!

gozer - What a sweet thing to do for your neighbor's cat! It looks really well insulated!  The Frank's Wife necklace is really pretty and striking, and eeeeeeeeek - the octopus bookmark in particular is SO CUTE!!!!  I love it!!  Same with the bunny1kenobi necklace! Absolutely adorable!  And I really like the different interpretations you and RBR had for the antler ATCs!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feel free to PM me about personal swaps!  Hoopla, TM Patches, mug rugs, magnets, felt, ornaments, etc...

Proud member of Team Multimedia in the Nerd Games craftalong!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 61 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...