A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,835
Currently Running With Scissors:
324 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thanksgiving menu?  (Read 2896 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
JS

** Life: an amazing adventure. Pack well. **

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018 07:40:41 PM »

We are hosting some dear friends on Thanksgiving Day.  Ham will be the main course.  They bring a delicious pumpkin roll.  Nothing else on the menu matters lol.
The following day, we are hosting 6 relatives along with our brood of 4.  Smoked turkey will be served.  

Side courses for both dinners will be from the usual list of dishes.  Mashed potatoes and gravy are a must.  DH likes corn; others prefer the french green bean casserole.  I love sweet potatoes but not crazy about marshmallow, so mine will have the topping scraped off.   Collard greens, dressing, canned biscuits, black olives (a must), Vlasic kosher dill pickles (DH's fav), apple pie this year.

We have found it easier to serve things buffet style instead of having platters on the dining table.  Folks load their plates in the kitchen, and the food stays warm on the counter and stove.

What do you all think about using paper plates for holiday dinners?  I have mixed feelings.  Growing up, we used my mother's good china for special occasions and holidays, especially when hosting company.  It honors the dinner guests to put forth the "best."  However, fancy tableware isn't the reason for gathering.   DH's family has used paper plates and we started doing it.  I do appreciate not having to wash so many dishes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018 07:49:47 PM by JS » THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018 05:27:24 AM »

I have done both. For small groups I use the good china but for large groups my mom used paper plates. She didn't want to spend hours washing dishes. May be a mixture of both. Dinner use paper and dessert use china
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018 07:27:00 AM »

I know I posted a reply to this yesterday but it's not here. I went looking and found it in another topic, haha. That's what I get for posting from a cell phone.

I love the idea of using paper plates. Some of them have fancy edges or pair w seasonal paper napkins to dress it up. The food & the company are the feature after all.
And also, now I'm hungry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
JS

** Life: an amazing adventure. Pack well. **

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018 08:06:54 PM »

We used paper plates for dinner and dessert, plus dinner the next day ... until the leftovers disappeared or we ran out of plates lol.  I look forward to using paper plates in the future.  Disposables definitely make gatherings less stressful.  I much prefer spending time with loved ones instead of with the dirty dishes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...