A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
325 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thanksgiving menu?  (Read 2895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2014 02:30:31 PM »

What's on your Thanksgiving menu this year?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Contact me personally:
  Personal Crafty Chat Group on Facebook
  Craft Stars Fundraiser
stillatthetop
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014 08:52:30 PM »

Ha, ha, ha, ha...totally non traditional. It will only be my elderly friend and myself. Daughter may stop by, but not for dinner. She has that planned with boyfriend and his family. I will put out a plate of snacks.

So:

Chicken thighs in marinade, sweet potato with butter/brown sugar, saute'd fresh kale, crescent rolls {canned}, fresh cranberry sauce. I think I will try out the new Christmas cookie recipe that I wish to make in December. I might also make some of my mini nut/berry muffins for breakfast that day. Those also freeze well, to use into the next month for things. I want to play with some flavored butter recipes, too..for the rolls, so I will probably pick one of those to start with. And see if it is what I wish to use for Christmas. I consider Thanksgiving my "test" go-around  Grin

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014 10:02:50 AM »

Turkey
Lima bean casserole
apple walnut stuffing
rolls
cranberry relish

Lots of food that will put us to sleep

For desserts we are buying individual tarts instead of having a big pie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014 10:23:42 AM »

Traditional menu for us:

Turkey
Sage stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Yams with marshmallows (for my sister in law)
Home made cranberry sauce
The 'green bean' casserole
Home made rolls
Jello layered salad

My family will be bringing the pies... apple cheesecake & pumpkin

It's all good! Now I'm hungry.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Momof2!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015 05:09:18 AM »

I'm not sure what all we will have because everyone in the family brings various things but the staples that are always there are

Turkey
Dressing and gravy
Cranberry sauce
Green beans
Macaroni and cheese pie
Pumpkin pie
Rolls
Broccoli casserole
Sweet potatoes with brown sugar and pecan topping or marshmallow

We usually also have banana pudding, pumpkin roll, some type of congealed salad, mashed potatoes, corn, and squash casserole.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015 11:58:19 AM »

My elderly friend passed to the other side. So it will just be me. Banquet TV dinner time.  Roll Eyes I'll buy two, so I have leftovers. The best part of Thanksgiving. Or maybe I will have the deli cut me some thick slices of turkey. For the sandwiches. And still have the snack plate and some pumpkin cookies. Or pumpkin bread for breakfasts. I could make several small loaves and give one to my daughter to take home.

I don't know. Thanksgiving is the 26th. I still have time to think about it. With any luck, I might be invited to someone else's party. Then I will just bring a covered dish of whatever they wish.

~T

Edit: Momof2, what is Macaroni and cheese pie? Please share the recipe. That sounds good!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015 12:03:30 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Momof2!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015 06:01:48 PM »

My elderly friend passed to the other side. So it will just be me. Banquet TV dinner time.  Roll Eyes I'll buy two, so I have leftovers. The best part of Thanksgiving. Or maybe I will have the deli cut me some thick slices of turkey. For the sandwiches. And still have the snack plate and some pumpkin cookies. Or pumpkin bread for breakfasts. I could make several small loaves and give one to my daughter to take home.

I don't know. Thanksgiving is the 26th. I still have time to think about it. With any luck, I might be invited to someone else's party. Then I will just bring a covered dish of whatever they wish.

~T

Edit: Momof2, what is Macaroni and cheese pie? Please share the recipe. That sounds good!

It's a staple of any get together here. Usually we just call it macaroni pie. I don't have an exact recipe. Basically you cook elbow macaroni. The mix with a couple eggs, evaporated milk, melted butter, salt and pepper, and grated cheese. Then you top with more cheese and bake. It's so good.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. If you were her you would be welcome to have dinner with us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015 09:42:07 PM »

Thank you Momof2. I am used to being alone. It will be ok. I might make muffins and go "Trick or Treating" around the neighborhood. Someone will invite me in. I hand them a baggie of muffins  Grin And show up with my Little Red Riding Hood basket? I don't weigh much or eat much. A snack at each house will be swell.

What time are you all planning your dinners? So I know when to knock.  Cheesy I am guessing about 2:00? So anytime after that I can scarf the left overs? I will have to hide some cottage cheese bowls and lids under the basket cloth  Grin I will be the Thanksgiving Moocher.

~T

Yup. I think I have this one figured out. I have Matt's house with Corina cooking, I have Helen down the street who hates me but won't turn me out, and I have her Aunt across the street, Vana. And Vana's brother next door, Henry. I have my friends on the other street. Steve and Nancy. And Joyce and Jerry. That will fill me up. Oh, and don't forget Marge and Pete. They are sure to make a feist. They are also just around the corner. I have to charge the battery in my truck. Around the corner is not walking distance. We all have 2 acres or more. Yum. I can't wait to see what spreads these fine folks put out.  Grin

I will bring the next day breakfast muffins.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015 10:12:44 PM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015 04:55:06 PM »

For desserts we are buying individual tarts instead of having a big pie.

That's a good idea kittykill!

I am going to Maui for Thanksgiving, and we're doing a Thanksgiving cruise and this is the menu, it sounds like most of the traditional favorites with some Hawaiian twists!

Kalua Turkey with Giblet Gravy
Island Kalua Ham with Guava Jelly
Portuguese Sausage Stuffing
Whipped Garlic Potatoes
Corn on the Cob
Upcountry Greens with Maui Onion Dressing
Grilled Island Vegetables
Fresh Baked Taro
Soft Rolls
Pumpkin Haupia Squares
Double Chocolate Brownies

I don't think I'll be into the Pumpkin Haupia, and I'm all about the crust of the pie anyways, so we'll be sure to get a pumpkin pie at Costco for the condo!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015 04:55:32 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015 08:11:57 AM »

That sounds absolutely amazing Mare! Hope you have a blast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...