A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
117 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does soap base contain any gluten?  (Read 1817 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ChellyWood

ChellyWood.com: Doll Patterns and Tutorials

View Profile WWW
« on: November 15, 2014 06:57:34 AM »

My 11-year-old daughter wants a soap-making kit for Christmas this year, but she has celiac disease. My concern is with ingredients that may be made with wheat/gluten (corn is fine). Oatmeal is usually problematic.

I looked through lots of soap base product ingredients on Amazon, and the description of glycerin products often says "(of vegetable origin)", which is too generic for me. I need to know if the vegetable used is wheat, oats, rye, or barley.

Can you help me figure this out? How do I know if the soap base they're selling is gluten-free?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014 11:18:15 AM »

Glycerin is normally made from oils such as coconut or palm. So-called glycerin soap bases don't really have that much glycerin in them, it's a bit of a misnomer. All soap is made from a chemical reaction between lye and fats, and pre-made soap bases are processed specially to be easy to re-melt down. I don't think your daughter would have any problem using them, but I suppose you could contact the manufacturer of a specific base to ease your mind. Also, I'm just curious, with Celiac does gluten just coming into contact with a person's skin cause problems?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
ChellyWood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014 05:10:08 PM »

I'm just curious, with Celiac does gluten just coming into contact with a person's skin cause problems?

Thanks for the response to my question. You asked if gluten coming in contact with a person's skin causes problems for celiacs. The answer is, usually no. But my daughter is only 11. A lot of what she touches ends up in her mouth. That's just the nature of kids.

She's also a nail-biter, so lotions and soaps often end up in her mouth. They get under the nails. And she's a super-sensitive celiac too, so it doesn't take much to make her really sick.

Another concern is the washing of the face. When you wash your mouth/lips with soap, you can get gluten inside the mouth. We are very careful about lip balms, lipsticks, and other make-up products that may come in contact with the lips/mouth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014 06:46:07 PM »

Oh interesting! Thanks for letting me know, sadly celiac seems pretty prevalent these days. It sounds like you're doing an awesome job of watching out for your daughter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
Lisa Maliga

Author

Author, Soap Crafter & Chocolate Lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015 02:19:19 PM »

SFIC makes melt and pour bases that are now gluten free. As of September 2014, instead of soy protein they contain oat protein. Here's a link to their site: http://www.sficcorp.com
Hope this helps! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa Maliga has been writing ever since she learned how to put crayon to paper back in kindergarten. Since then, she has learned to type and uses a laptop, citing it as way more convenient. She still makes and uses her own soapy creations and bath & body products. Late at night she bakes.
amzoun95
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019 05:31:24 AM »

i've heard good things about essentials by catalina, but haven't used it myself.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019 03:23:24 AM by amzoun95 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Indian-Inspired Savory English Pie
@Home This Weekend: DIY Dryer Sheets
August 14, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...