A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Aluminium can cuff bracelet  (Read 2798 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2014 , bracelet , upcycle , upcycled  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Junk4Joy
« on: October 27, 2014 04:40:50 PM »

I made beads by rolling strips of aluminium can then square stitched them with elastic thread to make this stretchy cuff bracelet.

I got the idea for the beads from a fabulous ebook called 'Keeping Tabs' that I downloaded from www.aluminouspublishing.com for FREE! The author, Alice Lund, uses them for the strap on a handbag.

If I had metal stamping equipment I would love to try stamping on the flat side of the beads.

ETA. It seems the link above is now a blog about something entirely unrelated, sorry 'bout that.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017 03:24:48 PM by Junk4Joy - Reason: Link provided is no longer relevant. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014 07:52:10 PM »

They don't even look like they could be from a can!  wow...very nice recycle...do you have to do anything to keep the edges smooth and not sharp?

Love your design...looks very modern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cherie

Be kind.... always

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014 12:11:22 AM »

That looks utterly amazing. I have a load of cans in my workshop and I feel a bracelet coming on this morning  I will cut them into strips and then emboss the end inch so that the 'beads' take on the pattern.  Thanks for sharing that
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoopidou
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014 12:47:39 AM »

Great recycling of aluminum cans.

I always wonder what to use them for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Junk4Joy
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014 05:47:37 AM »

Thank you all for your kind comments.

AIMR: I didn't do anything to smooth the edges, just made sure there weren't any shaggy bits to catch on anything. I don't think the elastic thread I used will hold out against the edges of the beads for very long tbh, that's why I experimented with wrap bracelets so the thread goes around the cord and keeps friction to a minimum.

Cherie: both ends of the strip are rolled toward the center to make a two hole bead (otherwise you would need to glue the end down somehow) so any embossing would need to be in the center of the strip. I'm so thrilled you want to make one and I can't wait to see it.

yoopidou: I'm blown away by some of the stuff people can do with cans.  The web site I mentioned is absolutely packed with ideas and tutorials, but still just scratching the surface.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014 05:49:23 AM by Junk4Joy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014 06:48:58 AM »

What a wonderful link you provided!  I am really interested in making some leaves and trying my alcohol inks to stain them...I don't drink sodas myself, but my staff does, so I am going to tell them to wash out the cans and give them to me! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015 09:08:25 AM »

I love big cuff bracelets and what a smart way to reuse aluminum cans! There are a lot of things you could do with these beads.

Congratulations on being featured in the best of list for 2014!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Junk4Joy
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015 05:19:23 PM »

I was pretty excited to get the email to say that LimeRiot had posted a reply here but when I read what she said I truly thought there must have been some kind of mistake. Then I checked it out for myself and found that it wasn't just some kind of mean-spirited trickery on her part and instead have decided that those in charge of selecting the projects for the 'best of' list must have been very, very tired, or at least a little bit drunk (though all their other picks seem legit).

When I told my husband his reply was "So, the trigger thumb was worth it after all." I even suspect  he was only being mildly sarcastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015 06:26:03 AM »

lol...it is your peers who rocked your project, so unless all of them were drunk, (I wasn't!), this is legit! Grin

Thanks for sharing your project--very cool and modern jewelry...the links...for future projects by people...and for being an engaging and fun member of this forum!  Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Charred Jalapeno Corn Salsa
@Home This Weekend: Updated Yardbird
Tute Tuesday: Apple Cozy

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...