A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
196 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trinksy?  (Read 2408 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

CraftyLadyMJ

A crafting I'll go...

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2014 11:48:11 AM »

Hello craftsters

I was just wandering if anyone knew of this craft selling site called "Trinksy"?  If so is it better than Etsy? I'm working on lunching a online storefront for the holidays.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Summer HPC 2013
No more cellphone headaches!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014 07:18:26 AM »

Whether it's better or not, who can say? Wherever you end up online, you still have to do your own work promoting your stores. However, looking a little bit into Trinksy, they've been at it since 2012, and still only have 200+ likes on FB and less than 2,000 on Twitter. That's kind of pathetic. Etsy has its own issues, but they remain "the" handmade holyland. If you're going to open a temporary store, however, I hope you already have a huge following, otherwise you're going to spend more time taking photos and posting products than actually selling anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLadyMJ

A crafting I'll go...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014 01:17:04 PM »

Thanks CraftyChef and  I already do my own promoting.I also have a pretty nice following size of clients. I'm just looking for a cheaper way to own a online storefront without having to build a site myself or go the ebay route.  I'm already linked to a few  mom and pop artisans stores, but lately people been asking if I have a website. Which I do but just setup as a kind of look book only. My goal is to run my business 24/7 and attract customers from all over the world. Thanks again for your advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Summer HPC 2013
Adagia520
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014 04:00:48 PM »

If you already have a following I'd recommend Storenvy. They have zero fees unless they help you make a sale. So if you send people to your shop directly, you keep all your money. I personally still use Etsy cause that's the market that most people are familiar with and 90% of my sales come from searches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014 04:38:42 AM »

I have to chime in here.
Today, everybody who considers themselves to be a crafter, or artist, or whatever believes all they have to do is open a "shop" somewhere online and the world will beat a path to your door.

Then they try to find the cheapest online marketplace to sell at. Nobody seems to consider the customer at all. In reality, the main site for buyers is ETSY, and only ETSY. That's why there are over 300,000 "stores" there.

But when I go there I see some prices that are just plain unbelievable. One time I saw a shop that was selling basic canvas bags with some silk screening and they wanted $75 each! I see these at craft fairs every weekend, and the most expensive ones I saw were $35 each. They're usually in the $25 range. This past weekend I was doing a 2 day craft fair and I was across from a woman who was selling these type of bags, and she sold over 100 of them at $25 each.

I see people wanting to know where the cheapest place to sell is. Well, you can set up in my front yard if you want, because I live at the end of a dirt road in Vermont, and you'll get just as many customers as you will going to the cheapest or free websites to sell your work.

Selling worldwide? I hope the OP knows the costs involved in that!

I hate to be Grumpy Chris, but it's sad to see so may people with good work not making money at it. I see so much good work out there, but the people have no clue as how to sell it. Sitting behind a computer screen a few hours a day won't make you the money you think it will.

You can make a LOT of money in the crafts business. It just depends on how much actual work you're willing to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
shadojake
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014 02:20:48 PM »

Chris ....^^^=Like
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
CraftyLadyMJ

A crafting I'll go...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014 10:13:08 PM »

Thanks Adagia520 for your useful advice.

Chris,  I understand what you are saying and yes I have recently gone through esty.com and there is a lot of low quality products that's over price. Also there were some unique high quality products too.  An I know running a business small or large isn't like fishing. Running a business is more like hunting, but with a happy ending for me and the prey (customer).

Just so you guys know I spend 3-4hrs a day just promoting in person and online. Another 4-6hrs designing good and creating them with my small team.  I work on my baby (business) 7days a week.

Thanks again everyone. I have found a solution to my problem and it's not esty. Esty just isn't the place for me.  Cool

PS:
I don't like bragging about myself because everything my business is today is thanks to all the hard works and hours I put into it. So from now on I will leave this site to my hobby crafting only.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Summer HPC 2013
Chris in VT
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014 04:53:21 AM »

I'm sorry if I came across as gruff. But I am very passionate about this business, and I want people to succeed. Succeed enough to consider it a full time job with an income that's equivalent to a "real" job.

Cindy can back me up on this. There's a whole industry of people who are making a living doing this full time. And a very small percentage are doing it sitting at a computer waiting for orders to come in.

There's an adage that just as true today as it was 100 years ago. "You must spend money to make money." I just don't understand why people don't want to make as much in one weekend as they do in a year online.

I just don't get it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
shadojake
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014 06:36:34 AM »

I do agree with Chris.  It takes more than just time to create an income from a craft or art business.  It takes concentrated effort and looking for various ways to get your name and product out there.  What works for one person may not work for the next.  I see questions on facebook page, primarily from newbie crafters asking what's selling, how do I market it, how do I price it, etc.  Artists and crafters can talk only talk specifics about what works for them.  Otherwise it's generalities, looking at trends, etc.

The other place where Chris and I meet up has a lot of professionals in the arts and crafts pursing more than just small time affairs.  If  you count success as being there for the long haul (decades) and making a living, these people are successful.  What some of us newbies have to remember is that we don't have the long term experience they do but we can learn from them and try to avoid pitfalls and mistakes.

Also there is the misconception that the money will roll in with no monetary investment from the crafter.  I see stories on the FB page where people want to invest the least and get the most from their business ... to the point that it is getting frustrating and I am debating leaving the group.  I tire of the same questions and lack of interest in investing in proper equipment (tables, tents, displays, etc.).  However, I also know I needed mentors who were ahead of me on this road to provide insight, cheer me on, etc.

Monetary investment is required for business growth.  What?  No extra money for that?  Then what is one willing to give up to make their business grow?  TV watching?  Starbucks?  Outings with friends?  Downsize living quarters?  It seems there are people out there who want it all but want it with no sacrifice on their part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...