A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
308 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Lining- Made from a Bedhseet Storage Bag! w/Tute!  (Read 8012 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , car_trash_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 30, 2014 07:29:57 PM »

Last week, I was in a bad mood, so I decided to buy a new set of sheets, which, for some strange reason, always cheers me up!  Cheesy  The sheets came neatly folded inside a coordinating storage bag. Now, I don't know about you, but I have NEVER been able to fit the sheets back in the bag. But, I can't just throw them away...

Many of the bags are drawstring bags, but this particular bag had a flap with a Velcro closure, and since I was in desperate need of a car trash bag, I decided that the latest sheet bag was the perfect candidate.

Here's the finished bag:

It doesn't look too special, but I decided that I needed to add a liner to it:

And, in case you have a few empty sheet bags hanging around and want to make your own, here's how I did it!

Materials: Empty sheet bag (this was from a set of Queen-sized sheets), Clear vinyl, Coordinating double-fold bias tape, thread, plastic cable ties {Not shown: Clear packing tape, scissors, sewing machine}

1. Measure the bag to determine the size of the vinyl liner. In my case, the bag was 9 1/2 inches tall, 6 inches across, and 6 inches deep, and it was a boxy shape. To save myself from having to sew a seam at the bottom, I cut along the fold, which meant I needed a little math. I added half of the depth to the height of the bag, and added the depth to the width measurement, plus seam allowance for the side seam (I used 1/4" seams). So, my piece of vinyl was 12 1/2 inches wide and 25 inches long (12 1/2 inches folded). I realize that isn't the clearest explanation, so I can try to add a diagram with my measurements later.

2. Next, I cut notches out of the corners (3 inches up from the bottom fold and 3 1/4 inches from the side seam).

3. I folded the bias tape over the side seams and stitched them down along the edge of the bias tape (about 1/4" seam).

4. Next, I folded the bias tape over the top edge and stitched it down along the edge of the bias tape.

5. To make the box corners, I flattened the corners, bringing the edges together (I pretty much learned how to do this from the Jordy Bag tutorial).

6. Then, I folded the bias tape over the edges and stitched it down along the edge of the bias tape. I did this on both sides.

7. Here's the completed liner!

8. Next, I wanted to add a bit of support to the opening of the bag. You could probably skip this step because the liner gives the bag a decent shape, but if you don't use a liner, it'll help to keep the bag open so it's easier to put the trash into it. So, the first thing I did was to open up about an inch along the top edge seam. I opened it from the inside, along the back edge.

9. Then, I cut the cable ties to fit the measurements of each side (mine were each 6 inches long), and then I taped them together with clear packing tape, leaving a tiny gap between the ends of the ties so I could bend the form at the corners.

10. Thread the ties through the opening and wiggle it through so that the corners of the form match up with the corners of the bag. I didn't stitch the opening closed when I was finished in case I need to adjust the ties later.

11. Finally, I stitched a piece of bias tape onto the back side of the bag body (just below the top seam), and stitched the edges of the bias tape together (which I should have done first, but I didn't think about it in time).

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014 07:30:23 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
yoopidou
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014 12:17:53 AM »

Great way to reuse the bag. Much better than putting it in a drawer for later use like I do.
I love the fabric. Where did you find such lovely sheets?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014 05:16:09 PM »

Oooh, thank you for the tute.  This is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014 03:36:40 PM »

Great way to reuse the bag. Much better than putting it in a drawer for later use like I do.
I love the fabric. Where did you find such lovely sheets?

Thanks! I got them at Target. I don't think they were a "designer" line, so you should be able to find them (I just bought them within the last month).

Oooh, thank you for the tute.  This is awesome!

You're welcome! I hope you can understand my directions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014 11:54:33 AM »

It is a lovely trash bag. Thank you for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014 05:01:46 PM »

It is a lovely trash bag. Thank you for the tutorial.

Thank you! And, you're welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pom Pom Shades
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...