A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
183 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Giant Sweatshirt to Adorable Cardigan (Tutorial on Post 3)  (Read 13348 times)
Tags for this thread: reconstructed , cardigan , tutorial , category_featured_project , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
VintageGeek
My Handmade Hell

My Handmade Hell

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2014 09:04:09 AM »

Last week I took this giant, unflattering sweatshirt:

And turned it into a precious little cardigan that I canNOT stop wearing!

I'm so proud of this!

I did a tute on my blog but it's super long...does anybody know if it's cool to just link to my blog here for anyone who's interested in a tutorial? I don't want to "use" Craftster to get hits on my blog, but it is a long and image-heavy tutorial and would take forever to recreate here... Smiley

Hope you like!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014 09:40:29 AM by VintageGeek » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014 09:20:22 AM »

oh it is very cute!

and, yes, you can provide a link to your blog as long as you provide pictures and some details on Craftster for those who do not want to go to the blog...

I would be interested to see how you did it....I have a ton of old unflattering sweatshirts ready to go to goodwill!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VintageGeek
My Handmade Hell

My Handmade Hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014 09:40:02 AM »

Thanks! It was super fun and easy (but it requires patience and a willingness to try on and pin and trim and sew repeatedly until the fit is right).

Okay, so for those who want the full, image-heavy tutorial, you can find it here: http://myhandmadehell.blogspot.com/2014/09/i-made-thing-monday-sweatshirt-to.html

Here is the shorter version of the tutorial:

First you'll want to remove the sleeves, the ribbing on the wrists, neckline, and bottom (if there is any), and cut a very super-straight line up the center-front:

The VERY easiest thing to do next is to take an existing cardigan that fits you well, lay it on top of the sweatshirt (with the sleeves tucked inside-out inside the cardigan), and cut around it to get the right width for the shoulders and the torso. I didn't have one, so I tried it on (inside out) and marked the top of my shoulder joint with tailor's chalk:

And pinned the sides so it was a nice slim fit, then cut away the sides and a curved line for the sleeve holes using my pins and chalk marks as a guide. I did this wrong - the bottom tapered too much which is why the cardigan doesn't close all the way down. I highly recommend leaving the sides straight - just pin right under the armpit and then draw a straight line down to the bottom.

Then, after trying on and adjusting the fit as needed, trim the width of the sleeve you cut away earlier so the larger end fits the new sleeve opening better (do this by laying the sleeve next to the sleeve opening and drawing a line with tailor's chalk before cutting it):

Sew up the sleeve and attach using your preferred set-in-sleeve attachment methodology. My picture here is awful but there are a zillion much better tutorials to be found online doing the same thing:

Then I used a fancy stitch on my sewing machine to hem the front center opening of the cardigan:

And added lace to the neckline and sleeves for that extra "something". Once that was all secure, I struck all the poses!

I would have liked to be able to have buttons all the way down, but my sizing mistake made that impossible. So instead, I keep the top closed with a vintage brooch. I feel all kinds of Donna Reed in this thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014 09:47:39 AM »

I just read your blog post....you are the most adorable thing! Grin

I am so rescuing those old sweatshirts when I get home...I love cardigans and promised myself I would do more to not be so wasteful when it came to getting rid of my clothes...thanks for the tip n making it fit better in front...I rarely button my cardigans, so I don't think I will bother with buttons, but I do like a bit more coverage in front

Keep on sewing and blogging...just a fun read! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VintageGeek
My Handmade Hell

My Handmade Hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014 10:25:44 AM »

Yay! And thank you for the compliment. Cheesy

Giant unflattering sweatshirts are a dime a dozen at Goodwill, and I have a couple more that I may do something similar to as well. Big old sweatshirts are nice to have around and all, but I really wanted a cardigan and didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a new one... and I love navy blue, so this worked out perfectly!

Let me know how it goes with the sizing thing - if you come up with any other tips on making it more closey in the front I would love to incorporate them next time I make one of these. I like how this one turned out but I generally like more coverage in the front too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014 10:32:15 AM »

Your cardigan is very cute! I never would have guessed it began life as an over-sized sweat shirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hollie Hobbie

Where the heck is MY easy bake oven!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014 04:10:31 PM »

Very cute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jemimah
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014 11:19:58 AM »

So creative and so wearable!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LittleYellowBird
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015 03:54:41 AM »

Great refashion! The little lace details are really nice. Maybe I'll get the courage to try something like this on one of my old, oversized tops (they always turn into squares after a few too many washes). Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015 06:35:46 AM »

oh my gosh...I followed this tute and turned my huge grey ugly sweatshirt into something I now wear a lot!

Thanks...I need to post a pic as I was quite happy how it turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...