A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,256
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steel Salmon  (Read 1534 times)
Tags for this thread: salmon , fish , quilted  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Yaqulek
« on: September 20, 2014 09:13:31 AM »

Every year the art guild has a number of steel salmon and ravens that are decorated by local artists, and then auctioned. The proceeds will help fund stuff like a summer art camp for kids, and art scholarships.

The theme I chose for the salmon I decorated was preservation. Since this year on the Kuskokwim and throughout most of Alaska there were many restrictions on salmon fishing, due do declining numbers.

I don't have any pictures of the salmon before I covered it in fabric. The steel was covered in rust, I had to scrub it with wire brush, sand it, wash and dry it, then spray paint it with black Rust-oleum, before I could decorate it.

I sewed the detail on the fins and head with a machine, and because I  had to sew it around a steel frame, I sewed most of the salmon by hand. I used a clear glass pebble for the eye,  painted it with black and gold acrylic paint, and used green polymer clay around the back and edges so that I could sew the eye into place. I didnt realize how sheer the red sequin fabric was going to be. I should have lined it, so the seam allowance would not be visible against the batting. I forgot to take pictures of the back, it is covered in black batik looking fabric. I sewed a rectangular hole where the is a long hex nut welded on to the back of the steel, there is a metal rod attached to the stand that slides into the hex nut to hold the salmon in place.

At first, I hadnt planned on doing anything for the base, since they dont give you the stand when you get a steel salmon or raven to decorate. But I felt that it needed something more and that rocks and eggs would be apropos since the salmon was in spawning colors.

There are 30 rocks. I hand sewed fabric and fleece scraps to make the rocks, and painted most of them with acrylic paint to give them more color and texture. They are sewn onto black felt band with a Velcro closure.

I used ball ended sewing pins as salmon eggs. I painted the pins orange and covered them with red tinted resin to seal them and give them a little more depth.

Since I didn't have the stand as I was making this, I didn't know how big should to be. It ended up being a few inches short and didn't cover the full circumference of the stand. Fortunately I had sewn the rocks onto felt, and was able to stretch it to fit.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Padester
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014 07:47:22 AM »

That's pretty awesome!  I especially like the rocks and eggs on the base - very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artsycandice
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Art makes me happy, and birds. Birds make me happy too.

I just want to drink coffee, create stuff, & sleep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014 09:44:00 PM »

That's really neat. I love salmon.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014 09:47:51 PM by artsycandice » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Crafster Best of 2014 Winner!

STS Shop Winter 2016
50 in 2014
50 in 2015
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse
Best Friends

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...