A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,628
Currently Running With Scissors:
220 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ButterFly  (Read 1942 times)
Tags for this thread: butterfly , insect , butter , fly  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2014 07:16:46 AM »

ButterFly is another character concept, designed and submitted by forum member "Lazzy Lizard", for October Toys' OMFG (Outlandish Mini Figure Guys) Kickstarter-funded toy series, that I decided to model in three dimensions.

This is the illustration of ButterFly, posted by Lazzy Lizard, that I worked from. Please note that I did some minor editing, for clarity purposes, as the original image was pretty dark and needed more contrast. The drawing itself looks great, but I feel that the piece would have benefitted from some color, to drive home the creature's buttery composition, as the insect's dripping body looks more like ice, gelatin, or even slime to me in gray scale. While the idea of a literal "butterfly" isn't new (consider the "Bread-and-Butterfly" from Lewis Carroll's 1871 book Through the Looking-Glass, for example), I can't say that I've ever seen the concept interpreted in this manner. Fully colored, and considering its rectangular shape, this particular design is also suggestive of an insectoid Spongebob Squarepants in my opinion.

Here are some photos from the construction process of this figure.

I messed up laying out the lines of the grid pattern on the eyes (they don't quite match up with one another), but I didn't feel like going through the trouble of making a third replacement eye, and cutting the lines again, so, I decided that it was just going to have to be good enough. And, while we're on that subject, I should have put more lines on the peepers altogether, both horizontally and vertically, which would have resulted in a finer grid.

Unless you have a specific reason not to, it's generally a good idea to put down a base coat of white, or light gray, before applying yellow paint, otherwise, darker colors (like the browns pictured here) have a tendency to show through that golden hue, which will then likely require the addition of several more coats of yellow paint to hide it. Had I left the body white and the peepers black, this could have been a frosted cake or marshmallow fly with raisin or chocolate eyes, but then, there wouldn't be any puns going on with the name, or at least none that I can think of offhand.

The finished product:

Materials:
 Cardboard from a cereal box, newsprint, white glue, transparent plastic (wings only), and acrylic paint.

Dimensions:
 2.9 cm (1.1") wide x 3.7 cm (1.5") high

Time:
 About a day. I started this project late at night on September 15th, 2014 and completed it the following afternoon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsycandice
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Art makes me happy, and birds. Birds make me happy too.

I just want to drink coffee, create stuff, & sleep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014 07:52:30 AM »

Oh wow, these are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Crafster Best of 2014 Winner!

STS Shop Winter 2016
50 in 2014
50 in 2015
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014 10:21:01 AM »

Once again I am so impressed at what you are able to do with card and glue.  An excellent interpretation of the original sketch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014 09:15:19 AM »

Now that's funny! Cheesy Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Nodsu

Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon

Nodsu = Piglet from Pooh

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014 10:47:58 AM »

That's so cool! And so tiny! Cheesy
Love it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

https://www.instagram.com/nodsukas/
Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
― Pablo Picasso
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Sausage and Veggie Foil Pouch
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...