A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
259 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The GIANT project  (Read 2663 times)
Tags for this thread: interior_decorating  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
UnRuli

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 10, 2014 06:42:27 PM »

SO MUCH STUFF DONE! (and so much still left to do)

All four of these rooms kind of wound up being one entire project.  Because the new floor was the same floor in all four rooms they kind of had to all be done at once so..this is my GIANT project.  It's so nice to not have nearly the entire first floor ripped apart right now!

First, is the super-tiny "office". I don't have any before photos except for this one that we took before we moved into the place:

Added a light in the ceiling and a switch (the only light available before was a plug-in lamp, new trim, new floor & repaired wiring. This is also one of the rooms that was affected by the ice dam. So there is a new ceiling and the entire wall on the left was replaced. We moved all the stuff that was in there to storage, so right now it's being used as a "cat room" to house the litter box & cat food. I have a throw rug on the floor to protect the new floor until we move:

Next is the living room and again, I don't have any photos of it except the pre-move in photo. What we HAD done to this room previously was paint it in a muted orange, remove the carpet (it was glued down) and sand down the floors. However, the floors are white pine and don't wear well so this time we decided to just replace them. Before:

And after replacing the front door, putting in a new beam (the old beam was only 3 2" x 6" boards nailed together that were sagging because they'd removed a load-bearing wall.we had to put in a new LVL beam), new floor, new trim, new light and new paint. This room was also damaged by the ice dam so the ceiling and wall closest to the door was replaced. The stairwell got new paint, new stair rail and new stair treads.  The angled "ledge" that runs up the stairwell used to be a flat ledge, but we had to cut it out because we couldn't fit a queen-size bed up the stairs with that ledge there.  Again, our stuff was put in storage to be moved to the new house so there isn't much in here now. I figure I'll let the buyer get drapes. After:

The dining room had nothing done to it until now. This is a pre-move-in photo so it pretty much looked like this, but without that furniture:

Removed the wallpaper border, new paint, new trim, new floor, new exterior door, widened the door to the kitchen (we can open the fridge ALL the way now), new light and some new wiring. Sadly, the yellow looks kind of lemony in the photos, but it's a real pale buttery yellow (looks almost cream in most lighting). The table is just a temporary thing we used to have at the cabin (it folds down to almost nothing and the chairs store inside of it) so it's not exactly stylish, but it's at least something:

This is the main floor bedroom before we moved in:

This is what it looked like for a short while when I had my studio in there.  We'd removed the wallpaper border, painted the room and painted the floor in a pattern because we couldn't afford to replace the floor and it was in bad visual shape):

And this is what it looks like now after new floor, new paint, new trim & new shades. The closet needed a LOT of work because it was made from some kind of thin board that was falling apart. It had to be gutted and drywalled:

There is only one more area to do on the main floor now, but I need to get some things done upstairs first. There isn't a whole lot I'll be doing up there except in the "walk-in closet", but there's plenty to do in that closet.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014 08:09:59 AM by kittykill - Reason: changed coding in first pic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014 07:39:11 PM »

Wow, what a change!  I like the new colors you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014 08:44:40 AM »

You've made the space look bigger & brighter. Also, the bedroom color looks very relaxing & inviting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
UnRuli

Artist/Illustrator/Professor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014 07:00:51 PM »

Thanks guys!  I've been working hard on this house since December.........it seems like forever ago!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cackle
Tutorial Contributor

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014 07:33:14 AM »

Gosh, you have been hard at work! It looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quantumphysica
Dark Foe Of The World (Part-Time)

Sex, Crafts and Silmarils (Best of 2014 Winner!)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014 05:24:10 AM »

Love what you did with the place! Everything looks so spacious and modern
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...