A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
245 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Inlaid Cedar Box  (Read 2324 times)
Tags for this thread: wood , wooden_box , box , inlay , wood_carving  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Magpirate
« on: September 07, 2014 07:46:46 AM »

I made this box last week as a gift for my girlfriend.  It's made entirely of bits of cedar planking left over from when my dad lined some closets.  I used a scroll saw to make a heart inlay in the top of the box.

I had never done any inlay before so it was a learning experience - the trick is to stack your inlay wood on top of your outside wood and slightly tilt your scroll saw table so the angle of the cut compensates for the wood lost due to the thickness of the saw blade.  That way the inlay design will fall right into the cutout space and if you've used the right angle, they'll sit flush with each other.

I picked a mostly-white piece of cedar for the lid and a mostly-red piece for the heart, for contrast.  The fact that the white bit in the red lined up with the red bit in the white was a happy accident.

I used half-red-half-white pieces for the sides and front, to make a transition between the white lid and the red base, but I only had three pieces like that so the back is different.  I glued a piece of wood to the bottom of the lid to keep it from sliding around on the box.  This also helped flatted the lid out, since it was kind of warped.

I finished the box with a mix of linseed oil and mineral spirits.  I like how it turned out, and my girlfriend liked it too.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shiny.
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014 10:24:57 AM »

Nice work.  You could probably fill the sawblade hole with some sawdust and CA glue.  Sand when finished and you can't see the hole.

It's a pretty box anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects challenge

52/50 done
yoopidou
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014 05:21:40 PM »

I sure would like it too if I received it, it's such a beautiful box. And it is made with love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Magpirate
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014 05:22:24 AM »

Nice work.  You could probably fill the sawblade hole with some sawdust and CA glue.  Sand when finished and you can't see the hole.

It's a pretty box anyway.

What is CA glue?  I did fill the drill hole with a mix of sawdust and wood glue, but I think a carved plug would've served me better.  It didn't help that when I drilled the saw blade hole, I put it right up on the inside edge of the inlay, which, due to the angled cut, meant the hole was partly in the white rather than entirely in the red, which makes it a lot more noticeable.  Oh well - like I said, it was a learning experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shiny.
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014 10:35:42 AM »

CA glue is super glue.  CA is the generic name.

The box is wonderful anyway.  I wouldn't have noticed the hole, except for the close-up photo.  You did a good job on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects challenge

52/50 done
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...