My swap partner finally received so I can post! Crafted for the Under the Sea Swap for Alittlemusthave.
Batiked silk scarf with simple embroidery and buttons. Alittlemusthave had a whale on her swap list and so I decided to do a batik of the largest animal alongside the smallest (microscopic and single-celled animals). The batik was done in 7 steps, preserving white, light teal, light cornflower blue, another bath of cornflower blue to create a darker blue, magenta, another bath of cornflower blue to create a dark purple and a bath of burgundy.
Unfortunately, my sink was too small for batiking (can hardly wait to get to the new house so I actually have proper facilities!!) so the whites got a bit dirty because the wax pulled off in a few areas, but for the most part, it turned out just about how I was expecting. I also didn't get one of the corners heat sealed quite enough before sending it off to the cleaners for the final wax removal so it faded a bit, but it's not too terribly bad.
Then, I embroidered……a lot. I kept the embroidery simple (running stitches, chain stitches, satin stitches and a few random stitches) but it still took FOREVER! In addition, I added a few buttons.
My camera had some sort of filter added to most of the photos so the color is off. I corrected it somewhat, but this first photo is the closest to the original color (the only one left on the camera that I was able to remove the filter before uploading). Enjoy!
The entire scarf (sure wish I'd measured it before I sent it…..can't remember the exact size, but it's about 4' long):
The whale had so much detail in the batik that I didn't add much in the way of embroidery….I tried to keep it simple so it wouldn't get overwhelming:
and details (this area didn't get much damage to the white):
These areas got a little bleed-through of the magenta:
This bottom section probably got the most bleed-through, however, you can kind of see the variety of stitches I used: