A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,638
Currently Running With Scissors:
262 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My New Craft Studio  (Read 6556 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_room , craftster_best_of_2014  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2014 02:17:21 PM »

In the last 8 months, I've had a lot of life changes.  My husband got an amazing new job, which brought us to Nashville.  In doing so I gave up my job teaching costuming at a university and am now focusing on my Etsy shop full time.  Since I've been working in busy costumes shops for my entire adult life, with lots of other noisy happy artists, I knew that the switch to solitary work days would be big for me.  I was worried about getting a bit depressed being on my own all day, so I decided that my new studio had to be a fantastically welcoming place, where I would enjoy being all day.  This is the result!

First a teaser pic...

And now, lets start at the beginning...  View from the door, including my happy rainbow rug, and my giant squashy armchair.  You can see the dreamcatcher FiberAlchemist made just above the chair.

Beside the chair is my newly finished gallery wall!  Lots of treasures there, but two of my favorites are shadowboxes.  An Outlander inspired one by Knickertwist and Gryffindor one by pinkleo.  The giant safety pin came from T.J. Maxx, and I made the wooden button out of a wood charger from the craft store. The black and white mandala piece was done by a former student.

On the opposite wall is my main work area and supplies storage.  The left side bookcases, full of craft supplies like paint, brushes, markers, glitter, colored pencils, hand sewing supplies, etc.

Main desk area, with most often used tools, and all my jewelry supplies.  Beads, charms, findings, etc. 

Crowning my desk is a shelf full of many of my favorite treasures.  Mostly items made by my Craftster crushes. 
(Left to right Fashion Matchbox by spidermom, wooden TARDIS box by lanikins, Dream Shrine by pinkleo, Steampunk Fairy Shrine by rackycoo, Alter Moon Spool by jillybeans, Sewing Shrine by pinkleo, Slug & Jiggers Apothecary Storefront by Knickertwist, the king & queen we used as cake toppers on our wedding cake, Gryffindor Pencil Cup by endymion, and Theatre Matchbox from cackle.)

Right side bookshelves, full of a few more treasures, all of my completed jewelry, and shipping supplies.  Currently my computer is on a small rolling desk, so it can be moved around to my armchair, or out to the living room.

And I actually have closet space!  DH and I built some cubbies from Target, and I spent two days organizing the rest of my stash into them.  The 3x3 cubby contains scrap fabrics in bins, and yardage folded below.

Beside that is a 4x4 cubbie, full of yarn, wood & glass crafts, paper crafting bits and bobs. 

Ironing board, large scale artwork from grad school, and filling bins for sewing patterns and my shop paperwork.

I'm such a lucky girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

All you need is love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014 03:23:26 PM »

Wow! I'm super jealous of your space. It looks built for productivity! Love all the craftster contributions.

If I ever find myself in Nashville I might just show up on your doorstep. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014 03:23:44 PM »

O. My. Speechless...

This work space is like Oz, Nirvana and Wonderland all rolled into one...

Jelly.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014 06:42:09 PM »

What a wonderful space for creating. Everything has a place and everything in its place. Enjoy! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer
yoopidou
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014 06:43:24 PM »

What a lucky girl you are with such a wonderful studio.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014 06:52:14 PM »

Thank you ladies! 

And Abbee, I'd love to have you visit if you're ever nearby!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014 06:15:20 AM »

Oh how gorgeous & organized! Your wall color is so rich & I'm loving your rainbow rug. What a great studio!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014 07:18:46 AM »

I love seeing people's studios. I am embarrassed that yours is so much neater than mine!  Please tell me you straightened up for the photo shoot. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014 07:52:00 AM »

I love seeing people's studios. I am embarrassed that yours is so much neater than mine!  Please tell me you straightened up for the photo shoot. Cheesy

Yes and no.  I tend to "work clean".  Years of working in costume shops has me trained to either finish a project before starting a new one, or to put it away into a designated "in-progress" area before pulling out other things, or clearing the space entirely at the end of a task so others can use the space.  Even though it's just me now, I still think of work surfaces as public spaces to be left clean for the next user.  (Students who left a mess on one of my cutting tables were in serious trouble, and quickly learned never to do it again!)

I do have a large serving tray, that is kind of a catch-all for my desk, that normally resides on the ottoman.  It catches bead trays of in-process bracelets where I'm waiting for a missing supply, bits and bobs of paper, receipts, etc that land on my desk.  I try to limit it to the single tray, and once a month I take everything off the desk and tray and sort everything into their homes.  There is also a single open box, which is currently being filled with items for Abbeeroad in the IYP 26 Swap, that I did put in the hallway for the photo shoot.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014 09:10:12 AM »

I wish I could be that organized and neat; I think a look at my desk top might seriously frighten you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole
Ah, fall!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...