A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
180 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: In need of advice  (Read 3929 times)
Tags for this thread: help , selling_on_etsy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

ramipalo
« on: August 26, 2014 09:23:18 PM »

It began with a simple enough idea.  I wanted something my kids would engage in, something that didn't have to be plugged in.  The idea wasn't good, but eventually it grew into something I was actually proud of.  People were always interested in it when they saw us out with one.  Then I opened up an etsy shop and became a small fish in a giant sea of sellers.  Maybe not even a fish, maybe its more like plankton. I don't know what steps to take from here. I don't get a lot of views to the shop, and I'm not sure how to go about changing that.  Any advice is welcome, as well as some constructive criticism about the shop and items.

shop is here:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/SKULLD/

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chris in VT
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014 04:03:03 AM »

You have an interesting product!

So where do you go from here? First, get out from in front of your computer looking for sales. You discovered something important. You're 'plankton' in the sea of Etsy.

Who do you want as your customer? Moms? Well, there's another group with lots pf spendable cash who will buy your product. Grandmothers! But grandma isn't gonna shop in a place with a name like "Skulld". Find a 'normal' name. Like "Rami's Studio" or "My First Wallet". Skulld has zero to do with your product.

Then, make about 50 or so pieces and sign up for a craft fair! Schools have them, especially in the fall. As a beginner, do a Bing images for craft fair displays and get ideas for yours.

You very well could make a few hundred dollars in one day at your first fair. And from there, the sky's the limit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
shadojake
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014 04:37:42 PM »

Cute idea.  I agree that schools are a great place to market it.  How about other places like ... day cares, preschools, churches, informal play groups, MOPs (Mother's of Preschoolers) groups, homeschoolers, etc.  Homeschoolers happen to have lots of curriculum shows in every state where you could market your products.

I don't mind the name, knowing now how it came about.  However, it doesn't relate to the product and, as Chris said, grandma's might take offense or get confused.  Skulld kinda makes me think of stuff related to the head ... helmuts, ski caps, baseball caps, etc.

I noticed you used "Lego" in one of your names.  You may want to research the use of that.  It may be like trying to use any other licensed product (Disney, etc.) where you could get in lots of trouble.

I wish you the best in trying to get it out there.  It really is cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014 12:46:54 PM »

All good advice. It could be a pretty good seller at Christmas craft shows. You might want to enhance your visual experience, since you're not filling them with toys yourself, with a photo insert in the see-through pocket(s). For example, take a photo of some lego characters or crayons, etc. in the size/shape of the pocket, then print it out and insert it into the pocket so people can see just what the deal is when they're looking at it. I would go so far as to make a little insert list of theme things folks could fill it with. Grandparents, in particular, can always use some new ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chris in VT
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014 04:08:52 AM »

Have you ever attended a craft fair as a customer? If not, ask around and go to as many as you can. You can get a feel for what to expect.
Do a Google image search for craft fair displays and you can get some great ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
IsikkahJai
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014 05:15:15 PM »

I am so with you on that rami :< I'm terrified of putting anything I make out into the world because I think it'll never be good enough for someone to actually BUY. However, at least you STARTED an etsy store  Cheesy I'm still in the "scared shitless" stage of MAKING stuff for my store so FEEL PROUD you took the first step!!

But really, all it takes is ONE sale and you're hooked Smiley Hope is like an addiction; You keep looking for more wherever you go!

I wish you all the best luck in finding your Groove with the craft fairs and etsy selling ^^ it's a fantastic and useful idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shadojake
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014 05:37:06 PM »

I am so with you on that rami :< I'm terrified of putting anything I make out into the world because I think it'll never be good enough for someone to actually BUY. However, at least you STARTED an etsy store  Cheesy I'm still in the "scared shitless" stage of MAKING stuff for my store so FEEL PROUD you took the first step!!

But really, all it takes is ONE sale and you're hooked Smiley Hope is like an addiction; You keep looking for more wherever you go!

I wish you all the best luck in finding your Groove with the craft fairs and etsy selling ^^ it's a fantastic and useful idea!

You know I have been doing this going on 2 year (December 12) and I still get silly over people WANTING to buy my stuff.  When I hear others say something like, "I just love your coasters." and then buy some, I think, "really, you like my stuff?"

It remindes me of when Sally Fields won an Oscar for a movie many years ago and in her acceptance speech, she said, "You love me, you really, really love me." And she was just gushing.  That is ME when someone compliments my work or buys something!  LOL LOL

I like my stuff .... or else I would not make it.  But it's freakin' reeeediculous that someone else would too.  <vbg>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...