A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, it's time to show off your TREE!  Show off your flocking and garland with us this year.
Total Members: 319,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
313 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fold-up changing mat  (Read 1784 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

I like big quilts and I cannot lie!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 30, 2014 08:32:36 AM »

My sister's first baby is due at the end of August.  There was some super-pretty seashell fabric in my FLFS.  And there was a patchwork class at the local agricultural show today.  These seemingly unrelated events resulted in this:

This is a bit of a weird project - it's the first thing I've made that I'm not sure I like.  Seriously, I got up this morning, took a look at it, and pulled a face.  What manner of monster had I created from those pretty fabrics?  I did still take it to the show for the lols and because I'd made the effort to finish it in time, but I knew it didn't have a chance really (especially when I saw how many other entries there were).  I struggled with pretty much all of it - there was no pattern, just a picture I found online (this one) and a handy pack of baby wipes to give myself a basis for the dimensions - and had to "save" myself from some pretty dumb mistakes with greater or lesser success, such as getting confused by the French Braid (I managed to make it too narrow *twice*!), fluffing the lining and orientation of the pockets, and wrestling with the plastic, which I've never used before and which was horrible until I remembered to turn my presser foot pressure right up!  And I really wish I'd just done diagonal line quilting instead of following the chevron shapes - I think it would have looked much better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014 09:58:38 AM »

So well done and I like the fabrics. These are so handy when you have little diapers to change.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer
Amazon_warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014 11:48:16 AM »

Thanks for the kind words!  Smiley  I wanted to try and make something useful but not "babyish" (I'll make a quilt for the baby too, when I get a moment).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Susuwatari
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014 02:57:06 PM »

I think it looks great! The fabrics and stitch pattern is really cool, it doesn't look super babyish right off the bat like so many baby-related things often do. I wish I'd had one of those when I was a nanny, or when I'm babysitting neighbor kids. It looks about a thousand times more handy than whatever blanket, if any, is stuffed in the baby bag for a makeshift changing pad. Your sister will love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

All you need is love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014 11:29:42 AM »

I love it! The odd fabric combo makes it unique and hey - that's in right now!

And the patchwork/piecing is amazing! No one would know your struggles with it - it came out like a pro!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amazon_warrior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014 03:43:58 PM »

Thanks guys!  It looked so much better in my imagination!  Roll Eyes  Though in fairness I am quite pleased with the accuracy of the piecing, just maybe not the overall result.  Mum gave it a thumbs up when she saw it this afternoon, so hopefully my sis will like it too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Elf on a Shelf Tutu
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Recycled Sweater Quilt
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...