A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,893
Currently Running With Scissors:
284 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sultry Lap Quilt for Me!  (Read 3075 times)
Tags for this thread: log_cabin , lap_quilt , basic_grey  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2014 01:41:09 PM »

I just realized in looking over old posts that I've been quilting for almost five years (This was my first quilt). I've made a couple dozen quilts in this time, but none for me! I've started a couple, but they've languished in the to-do pile as other things oust them for my crafting time. I decided the other day to finally finish one of them and have  a quilt of my very own!

Several years ago I found this Sultry fabric by Basic Grey for Moda. I looooved it! I bought a layer cake (10 inch squares of every print in the line, sometimes with multiples of some/all prints) and proceeded to sew the crap out of it. Pretty soon I had used it up, so I bought a Fat Quarter set of the entire line for myself for my birthday one year. And promptly lost interest in the fabric.

Fast forward a few years and I felt like I should do something with it. So, lacking inspiration, I cut the fat quarters (18x22 inch squares) into 6 x 22 inch strips. Then I proceeded to sew the strips into large log cabin blocks (16 inch finished blocks). I stitched the blocks together in a 3 x 4 grid, started sewing some borders from scrap pieces of all different lengths, and then lost interest again.

The other day I decided it was time for me to have a quilt, so I dug out the top and border pieces, finished the border, stitched the back up (I had bought yardage for backing along the way) and got that sucker basted!

Quilting it was a bit difficult on my home machine since it's a little bigger than I usually care to wrangle with (about 60x76) but I persevered and completed it in about 3 marathon quilting sessions.  

I did my go-to fully stitched binding and had it in the wash the night before last. That evening I cranked the AC and used it as I watched tv!

I've seen the "selfish sewing" hashtag on Instagram and while I agree with the concept, I don't care for the negative connotations associated with the word "selfish." I wonder what might be a better hashtag?

It makes me ridiculously happy every time I look at it or use it, so I guess the moral of the story is--make something for yourself! As crafters I think we are always taking care of others and making things for other people, but I encourage you to take time to make something for you or your house that will make you happy. You're worth it!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014 07:32:54 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014 01:44:55 PM »

This is so pretty! I'm so happy  you created something for yourself-it's about time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014 01:50:33 PM »

Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best
50 in '14
50 in '15
stillatthetop
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014 02:03:44 PM »

Yah. Another cheerleader here! Yes. Make for you. Don't feel guilty.
Most all my projects I give away, too. I just don't have the room for all of them.
Some pain my heart when I get rid of them, and I spank myself for not making two?
I think you did wonderful to finally finish your original project.
I also get bored with projects and set them away for a time.
And learn new skills in the mean time that make the project richer.  Grin
I think that is just the nature of the creative beast.
At least that is what happens with me.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Amazon_warrior
You say "scientist or artist?" like they're mutually exclusive.

I like big quilts and I cannot lie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014 02:59:49 PM »

Oh that's lovely - great look with all the log cabins, and I love the chunky modern feel of it.  Totally understand at being ridiculously happy about your own quilt, too - I'm like that with mine.  There was a down-side for me, though - I finished it in summer when it's too warm to use it much!  XD  Ah well, winter'll be here sooner than I like...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014 04:04:34 PM »

It's really lovely, and you deserve it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BriannaB03
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014 05:50:37 PM »

I love it!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014 07:09:59 PM »

Good for you.  It is a lovely quilt.  I'd have cranked the AC and done the same. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014 07:23:33 PM »

Your story sounds so familiar...but you finally got it done...and it is for yourself!!

Thanks for sharing your epic saga and for posting a completed quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018 06:59:45 AM »

Beautiful and I agree, crafting for the self needs a new name. Putting gas back into our own creative engines is not selfish, it's necessary. #Treatyoself
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...