A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,275
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: leopard print fun - with added tutorial magic!  (Read 79894 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Lilitha

~*~Hyper Kawaii Puff Ball~*~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004 07:50:49 PM »

thatz very clever of you to use the sleeve part of another shirt for the boob area (sorry for my crudness in worlds) XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~I Fell In Love When I Fell Down The Stairs~*~
kaffrin
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004 03:40:11 AM »

ok, tutorial time Smiley

i've done my best to make this as simple as possible, without leaving out anything important. but it's still a fairy complex shirt, so this is pretty long:

right. first you will need a suitable victim. ignore the style of the shirt, and look for nice fabric, a great print, BIG SLEEVES! and if there is more than one, buy the biggest size you can.

i found this shirt in a sale, which wasn't too bad to start with, but the fabric was so soft and lovely, that i had bigger plans for it:

cut the sleeves off, as near to the seam as you can, cut up the seam. chop off any cuffs and detail, and cut up the sides, so you are left with big, flat pieces of fabric.

cut a pattern piece a bit like this one:

you'll have to adjust it according to how big you are up top. make sure it's wide enough and high enough to cover everything, add a seam allowance all the way round, and add a dart to shape it. use the sleeves (right sides together) to cut two of these. then cut an extra 2 to line them, and make them sturdier. you'll probably have to use different fabric for the lining, unless you have a mahoosive shirt and you are little. just make sure it's around the same stretchiness as your main fabric.

if you want to do any applique of embroidery on the boob bits, do it now.

sew the darts on all 4 pieces. trim the excess.

with the right sides together, sew around the top edge of the boob bits, and turn to the right side. now is the time to trim them or topstitch if you want.

measure yourself around under your bust and halve the measurement. if you fabric isn't amazingly stretchy, add an inch and a half. if it is, add about 2cm. measure how long you want the shirt, taking into account your seam allowances at the top and bottom edges. cut the body of the shirt to these measurements.

trim the bottom front of the shirt now if you want. if not, you can just hem the bottom edge.

pin the boob bits together, with an overlap. how far apart they are will depend on your size. pin them and then try them against yourself. adjust until it fits well.

with right sides together, sew the overlapped boob bits to the bottom front of the shirt. you may have to stretch or gather one or the other to get the sizes to fit.

from the remaining scraps, cut a piece of fabric as high as the boob bit on the very side (plus seam allowance on top and bottom edge), and as wide as the bottom back piece. if your fabric is very stretchy, cut around an inch off the width of this top back piece.

trim the back pieces at this time. if you don't want to, just hem the top edge of the top back piece, and the bottom edge of the bottom back piece.

with right sides together, sew the top back piece to the top bottom piece. if you have made the top bit shorter, stretch it to fit as you sew.

with right sides together, sew the side seams.

put the top on, and find a suitable strap material. pin the straps on to make sure they are the right length. take the top off and sew the straps in place.

add any finishing touches, ribbon bows or suchlike.

and finish.

then take a picture of yourself in said shirt, probably at a crap angle, as unflatteringly as possible, wearing bright red pants to flaunt your...ermm... eclectic style. pimp this about the internet.

Wink

« Last Edit: April 12, 2004 02:46:17 PM by kaffrin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Morbus
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004 06:39:48 AM »

thanks for the tutorial!!  i really love both the shirts, especially the one in the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can kill you with my brain.
SpaceCraft
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004 09:04:43 AM »

thanks for the detailed tutorial  Cool that is soooo cool! and the tutorial means that a simpleton like me can now do it hahaha  Wink
thanks again!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shalola

In seach of the ultimate lipgloss

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004 09:35:38 AM »

Fab tutorial!  Thanks for posting...oh, and I love the black shirt too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadKittyUSA33

I'm a kitty!!! A BAD ONE!!! meow...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004 07:06:06 AM »

wow! your shirts rocks and by the way i luv your picture isn't it from "Kiki's Delivery Service," I luv that movie!    great job!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.' ).')     
.*  MOLLYWOOD!!!!!  * .      
(. '(.'**`'.)`'.)   Rock on!
kval1
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2004 09:43:07 PM »

thanks for the fantastic tute... i will have to get out the machine and bad t-shirts and get to building myself a pile of new singlets....YAY..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie anna 58
"I am for an art that is political-erotical-mystical, that does something other than sit on its @ss in a museum." Claes Oldenburg

No Beefcake Without Irony

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2004 04:51:17 AM »

Amazing job on both shirts and a great tutorial to boot!  Shocked Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Glitter on the mattress
Glitter on the highway
Glitter on the front porch
Glitter on the hallway
-LoveShack/The B52s
Mexicomarti
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2004 05:29:07 AM »

You really are clever!  Great tutorial.  Wish I were young enough to wear something like that.  This is the land of truly ugly prints,  and could use some style.  Want to move here and be a designer?  LOL

Marti in Mexico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2004 09:59:06 AM »

That is so darling!  I have this XXL Ireland shirt that I picked up at Goodwill that I've been meaning to revamp but wasn't sure how to go about doing so.  I'll probably make the top higher and might even put in a bra since I don't want my straps showing and need all the help I can get  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...