A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,022
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Prayer flags-femininity, peace, dream, muse, acceptance  (Read 1292 times)
Tags for this thread: prayer_flag , craft_challenge_109_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

jenleahlynn
« on: August 16, 2015 12:02:21 PM »

this was the first time I had made a prayer flag. each person created a list of words, then each of their partners was assigned one. You created 4 flags to send, then an additional one for yourself. the fabric background was 6x8, but the materials to be used were open. paint, embroidery, beads, ribbon,..... I loved the variety of technique, and interpretation that came out of this. I think it encouraged me to stretch, and be more abstract. the results are beautiful and unexpected. This was very different then the more realistic drawings I usually do.

FEMININITY FLAG

I wanted this to be strong and graceful. I drew the figure in a yoga pose, then a mandala on the reverse side so the color would bleed through. the lace at the bottom was hand crochet, with a glass bead to add weight.

PEACE flag

as part of the swap, you also created one for yourself. I stenciled a hummingbird and flowers, and I liked the simplicity

DREAM flag

For this I wanted it bright and surreal.the flower and humming bird as on the peace flag, were stenciled onto white fabric, then the face was drawn with sharpies. this seemed a bit much at first, but once it was appliqued onto a strong background I think it balanced it out. it's embellished with beads and embroidery to make it bold and vibrant.

MUSE flag

I loved this starry night fabric when I bought it at Joann fabrics. I had this idea of the moon being in love with the stars, so I embroidered the face onto cream felt, and appliqued it onto the blue sky. I further embellished it with gold beads and yellow thread

ACCEPTANCE flag

To inspire this one, I looked up definitions of acceptance. my favorite was 'to be at rest with oneself'. I used a different section of the starry night fabric that had a cluster of buildings. I liked the idea of community. then embroidered the definitions into the sky along with gold beads.

The flags I received may have come from different partners, but there is also a connection between them. the conversations between this group of swappers was also encouraging and supportive. check out the gallery!

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=437948.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn
interested in a private atc swap-i am collecting ATC cards to be framed in a collage and auction to raise money for Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma research. (ACCRF) project blog-    atc4acc.blogspot.com

pinterest.com/jenleahlynn
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015 04:56:18 PM »

These are so lovely. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015 06:45:53 PM »

These are all beautiful.  You should definitely make more, you've got the touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The thing about believing that you can do anything is that you actually do things!
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015 11:50:20 PM »

They are all very beautiful.  I envy you your lovely fabric selection but your creativity takes it all to a higher level.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015 12:06:02 PM »

Administrator Comment Thanks for entering a Craftster Craft Challenge!  Don't forget to cast your vote!! Smiley

The voting poll is located at the top of the thread here:  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=439943.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Coral Bead Bracelet
Flowers In Your Hair
Meatless Monday: Charred Jalapeno Corn Salsa

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...