A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 313,335
Currently Running With Scissors:
305 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Prayer flags-femininity, peace, dream, muse, acceptance  (Read 1163 times)
Tags for this thread: prayer_flag , craft_challenge_109_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenleahlynn
« on: August 16, 2015 12:02:21 PM »

this was the first time I had made a prayer flag. each person created a list of words, then each of their partners was assigned one. You created 4 flags to send, then an additional one for yourself. the fabric background was 6x8, but the materials to be used were open. paint, embroidery, beads, ribbon,..... I loved the variety of technique, and interpretation that came out of this. I think it encouraged me to stretch, and be more abstract. the results are beautiful and unexpected. This was very different then the more realistic drawings I usually do.

FEMININITY FLAG

I wanted this to be strong and graceful. I drew the figure in a yoga pose, then a mandala on the reverse side so the color would bleed through. the lace at the bottom was hand crochet, with a glass bead to add weight.

PEACE flag

as part of the swap, you also created one for yourself. I stenciled a hummingbird and flowers, and I liked the simplicity

DREAM flag

For this I wanted it bright and surreal.the flower and humming bird as on the peace flag, were stenciled onto white fabric, then the face was drawn with sharpies. this seemed a bit much at first, but once it was appliqued onto a strong background I think it balanced it out. it's embellished with beads and embroidery to make it bold and vibrant.

MUSE flag

I loved this starry night fabric when I bought it at Joann fabrics. I had this idea of the moon being in love with the stars, so I embroidered the face onto cream felt, and appliqued it onto the blue sky. I further embellished it with gold beads and yellow thread

ACCEPTANCE flag

To inspire this one, I looked up definitions of acceptance. my favorite was 'to be at rest with oneself'. I used a different section of the starry night fabric that had a cluster of buildings. I liked the idea of community. then embroidered the definitions into the sky along with gold beads.

The flags I received may have come from different partners, but there is also a connection between them. the conversations between this group of swappers was also encouraging and supportive. check out the gallery!

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=437948.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn
interested in a private atc swap-i am collecting ATC cards to be framed in a collage and auction to raise money for Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma research. (ACCRF) project blog-    atc4acc.blogspot.com

pinterest.com/jenleahlynn
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015 04:56:18 PM »

These are so lovely. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015 06:45:53 PM »

These are all beautiful.  You should definitely make more, you've got the touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have boxes of vintage piano music.  Some as old as 1890's!  PM me if you'd like some!

Thing-A-Day
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015 11:50:20 PM »

They are all very beautiful.  I envy you your lovely fabric selection but your creativity takes it all to a higher level.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015 12:06:02 PM »

Administrator Comment Thanks for entering a Craftster Craft Challenge!  Don't forget to cast your vote!! Smiley

The voting poll is located at the top of the thread here:  https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=439943.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Bamboo Project Bag
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Meatless Monday: Spicy Tempeh Salad on Toast

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...