A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
177 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fat girls and skirts....  (Read 103088 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2008 04:13:21 PM »

watching yoyowa's YouTube video (awesome BTW!!!)

thanks! Sorry for the late response, haven't been on in a while!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2008 06:55:18 PM »

Re skirts coming out too short in the back.... 

save putting on the waistband until the end, try on the skirt with a piece of elastic tied around the waist, even the hem up by pulling up fabric as necessary at the elastic, then trimming the excess fabric and attaching your waistband.

GENIUS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
vegasgrrl24
« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2009 08:14:14 AM »

I know this is an old post... but I wanted to mention one of my secret's for buying clothes. I search ebay for all those big girl name brands. Good Luck!

I heard of torrid through a tiny ad in seventeen a few years back. In 8th grade I bought my semi-formal dress there and since then I've only bought two other shirts! They're expensive and the closest one is far away so I've been once! lol

Ok, thanks jennyw
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #223 on: November 05, 2009 07:26:53 PM »

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but check out the book "Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics" by Francesca DenHartog.  I made the squares skirt or whatever it is called - basically you take fabric, fold it in quarters, and cut a hole in the middle.  Anyway, I made sure to use a 60" wide fabric (so it wouldn't be 18" short at any point bc that's a little showy for me), and I think it turned out really cute.

I like that book because it works for plus sizes just fine.  Smiley  And lots of flexible options.

On length, I think it depends on your shape, but I personally like knee length or just below the knee.

On the chafing issue, I use some baby powder in the summer months.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009 07:29:00 PM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting cotton Hawaiian fabric scraps for a quilt if you wanted to send any my way!
http://www.pinterest.com/donniesgirrl
RamenQueen
« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2009 06:33:07 PM »

on the chafing issue ( and I hope i dont get flagged for this) I put a layer of Personal Lube aka KY Gel on each thigh. It works and doesnt show as easily as baby powedr
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Whizkid!
« Reply #225 on: December 18, 2009 11:43:34 PM »

I can wear a circle skirt if it has a dropped yoke, and tiered skirts work great for me, I am a size 20 but I got alot of booty. A-lines only work for me if they have a dropped yoke, because I am small waisted but big bootied so I get the horrible gap above my ass crack, I really hate that. I also cannot wait till the jean companies get over this low rise fixation, I mean if you got ass the low rise thing can get ugly.

As for the male of the species theres hope, my 16 yo son ( who is absolutley gorgeous ) asked a girl out to a dance and she was around a size 16-18, she thought he was making fun of her or on some kind of sick school boy dare, but after much convincing on his part she accepted. He took her to the dance and alot of his friends were like why did you ask her out and not one of the skinny hot chicks, he was like why would I want a self obsessed bag of bones. He came home that night slightly pissed at his friends and told me I guess I will have to get use to the comments Mom, or end up in jail for kicking rude dudes asses because I like my chicks thick.

Oh, my goodness, can we please get some guys like that at my school, PLEASE? I NEEDS ME ONE OF THEM!

On another note, I'm sixteen, and a size 18, and lately, I've been REALLY into making and wearing skirts. My absolute favorite, which I just made the other day, is dark gray and a little poofy. It sits high on... uh, I guess my natural waist (the smallest part of my body)? I tie a thick black ribbon in a bow over the waistband, so it doesn't chop me in half so much. It goes a couple inches above my knees, and I wear it with black tights under it.

The black tights are great, because I LOVE the look of a skirt that goes a little above the knees but unfortunately, I also have cottage cheese thighs. The tights hide them, so that's really nice.

Anyway, if there's any other fat teenage girls out there, do yo' thang! I hate seeing stick thin girls everywhere who think they're hot stuff. We're so much hotter than they are!

(Also, can you believe those sticks who try to say things like "omg, I'm so fat?" What is THAT about? Doesnt it just make you want to punch their skinny asses?!?) <--- My bad, went a little crazy there.

-Melanie (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trophywife
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2010 09:24:15 PM »

check out this skirt. http://www.craftstylish.com/item/46369/how-to-make-a-two-color-a-line-tee-skirt my mom n i (i'm an 18 n she's a 24) have both made them and they are wonderful on the hips. lightweight and stretchy. just be sure to get a shirt that will be long enough. but this pattern is really easy to follow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dirtyrouge
« Reply #227 on: March 20, 2010 12:37:05 PM »

hi! sorry but i haven't read through all the 23 pages on this so someone might've already mentioned it... http://www.whatthecraft.com has an awesome and super-easy tutorial for a pencil skirt - it was one of the first things i made when i started sewing. i guess circle skirt/a-line skirt/pencil skirt, it all depends on your shape - not every big girl has the same shape! but i find that a pencil skirt with a slightly higher waist looks awesome on me. i guess it's just trial and error what looks good on your body type.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supertink
Where's my pixiedust?

Fantastic!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2014 09:32:11 PM »

Zombie thread! I won't do a Daryl Dixon, I promise.  Grin

I wear whatever I feel looks good and comfy. I'm 5' and I'm 48 3/8"- 37"- 47 3/8". I'm between a 16 and 18, down from a 20/22. I too have big calves (16"!) and thighs (28").
I'm working my way down.

I say screw fashion and wear a lot of 1940's and 1950's styles. I emphasize a little waist and make full butt adjustments on my skirts. I make full bust adjustments in my blouses and tops, since clothes are made for a B cup and I wear a 34N.
Pain but no one else has my clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disneyphile
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...