A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
184 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Spring Semester 2014~ *JOIN ANYTIME*  (Read 175449 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: April 08, 2014 08:03:44 AM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress...

Hello students & staff!  As Headmistress pinkleo mentioned a few days ago, we are both in the midst of large life projects.  I have completed my move to TN, but I am now commuting to my old job in KY for the next month.  (That's a 1.5 hr drive each way!) The commute is taking its toll on my sleep schedule and my family time, not to mention my crafting time and my Craftster time.

As pinkleo said before, we are both grateful for your continued patience during this period.  (For you newbies, please know that usually both of us are "here" more often, and usually things like House Points are updated more quickly.)  I have gone and updated House Points for Classes, Challenges & House Pride ONLY.  Points for completed OWLs & NEWTs have NOT been calculated.  This will have to be done at another date, but I didn't want to let class points go on any longer without being updated.  PLEASE DO NOT message either of us asking why your OWL & NEWT points aren't in the House totals yet.  You'll just have to be a little more patient. 

Secondly, I have notinced in the tallying of points that not as many folks have completed this Join the DA Challenge as normally participate.  (Obviously you are not required to do anything you don't want to do here!)  I know it can be hard to find the time to complete a project for a stranger when you have so many demands on your time, such as crafting for family, friends, kids, and just running your everyday life!  Therefore I have decided to EXTEND the time limit on this challenge. If you are unsure about charities that accept crafted items, be sure to check out the SPEW Craftalong thread, or talk to our awesome SPEW Captain, Ant Bee for ideas.

And in an effort to encourage crafting for charity, I have also decided to extend the deadline on the Bonus SPEW Points for charity items until the end of the semester.  For each additional SPEW item you craft (beyond the Join the DA - Patronus Challenge) you will earn an additional 5 House Points, on top of the normal 10 points. These SPEW points CAN be combined with Class prompts.  For example, you could create a daffodil yellow quilt for Quilts for Kids to complete your History of Magic homework.  This would earn you 15 House Points for History of Magic, + your normal 10 SPEW points, + 5 Bonus SPEW points = 30 House Points!

I hope this sparks some ideas from the Crafty Muses!  Go forth and create art my friends.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mamaneedles
)O( * ॐ

Homeschooling explains a lot of my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #321 on: April 08, 2014 09:47:38 AM »

I'm guilty of this one. I really, really don't know what to make/who to craft for. I've looked at the list and most needs me shipping to them, which add to stop me -car ride to the PO with the kids, money to send it (we don't have much!), etc. I'm lame for that, really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
I made a chidlren's book about homebirth!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: April 08, 2014 10:46:26 AM »

I'm guilty of this one. I really, really don't know what to make/who to craft for. I've looked at the list and most needs me shipping to them, which add to stop me -car ride to the PO with the kids, money to send it (we don't have much!), etc. I'm lame for that, really.

Many local hospitals take donations of handmade baby clothes (like hats) or baby quilts, provided the quilts are 100% cotton and are able to take the high heat of the industrial washers & dryers they use.  And many local elderly care facilities take lapghans for their residents.  We've also had folks who donate a crafted item to a charity that won't USE it, but will auction it off to raise funds.  For example, I just crafted a necklace & a bookmark for the Warren County Public Library auction.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul
Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #323 on: April 08, 2014 10:58:58 AM »

I'd suggest something local - that's definitely the least pricey way to go.  I've done cards for inmates, jewelry for mothers who have miscarried, etc.  If you can sew, knit, or crochet, hats for babies, hats or scarves for the homeless, blankets for local CPS office or CAC, toys for the same, etc.  You could also make maybe something that can be auctioned off for a non-profit in your area - I took a used set of tea cups and saucers, painted Mah Jongg characters on them, and they were auctioned off at a golf tournament/ladies' game day.  My mom (who sews - I don't!) makes these 2'x2' little patched quilts with different textured of cloth or add-ons for her work with dementia patients through hospice.  Crisis pregnancy centers can use baby clothes and cloth diapers, you can even make themed art work for a non-profit to have at their location.

Just some ideas - I've worked in non-profits all my life (now I'm a freelance grant writer working with them!) and I promise anything you would make for your normal life can be used and loved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
Moonflame
« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2014 06:39:43 PM »

Hi Moonflame!  Did you realize you posted two projects for Arithmancy in the same post?  You can only get House Points for one of those two posts, but you will receive SPEW points for both.  Did you mean to post one of them as another class?

Oh my Goodness!  That last one was supposed to be SoAR.  I was copy-pasting my header to save time, and forgot to change the class name for that one.  I've fixed it now.  Thanks! Smiley

Class: Herbology / Challenge: Quidditch - bludger to Slytherin (all stash)
S.P.E.W. n/a
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Kosy Kitty Kneedle Keepers
Project Description: These Hello Kitty DPN holders will keep my needles from getting lost and make crafting much easier (and less sweary since I won't be hunting down missing DPNs!)  This was a much-needed item!
Project Pic:

Challenge: April Detention / Quidditch - score a GOAL for Hufflepuff!  (upcycled/remade item)
S.P.E.W. n/a
House: Hufflefluff ^_^
Project Name: Skully Stick Savers
Project Description: My favourite soccer socks bit the dust. Sad  But they were only holey in the bottoms, so I saved them. (That was a couple of months ago!) Then, inspired by my success with the Kitty Kneedle Keepers, I decided to make more holders to corral my other loose needles.  I cut the top off of one of the socks, then cut that in half.  I seamed both halves individually to make tubes, sewed one end shut and turned them right side out, stitched the black end shut, then folded and sewed down the ends to make caps for my needles.  The socks were nice and stretchy, so there was no need for elastic.  I love how well they work!
Project Pic:

Challenge: S.P.E.W. / Quidditch - Bludger to Griffy (can I bludger with a non-class item?)  (stash)
House: Hufflepuff
Project Description: Another Square for Pine Ridge - trying a new stitch with more of that super-soft but manly yarn. Smiley
Project Pic:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014 07:29:34 PM by Moonflame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #325 on: April 09, 2014 04:51:15 AM »

Those needle cosies are such a good idea - I've been driving myself mad trying to find small enough elastic bands to hold really thin dpns together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moonflame
« Reply #326 on: April 09, 2014 08:05:32 AM »

Ooh!  I've made some really utilitarian holders for tiny dpns using pencil toppers that I string together with thin elastic like this:

Pencil Topper DPN tute

Those teensy hair elastics would work, though, too, for just bundling them together.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014 08:06:07 AM by Moonflame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Moonflame
BadWolf314

Team Textbook Captain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: April 09, 2014 09:32:25 AM »

BringMeKnitting8 The thread catcher is a great idea and the blanket is lovely!
FiberAlchemist The acorn hat is adorable! And I cant wait to see your shawl!
rockmygypsysoul Lovely card! I love the colors!
Nicajeanie I love all the different colors and patterns!
jellybean89 The scarfs are fantastic! I love the colors! And the cards are great! Its such a great movie!
gaudiknight I am in love with those socks! My inner whovian is squealing! They look like 4s scarf!!! Cheesy
Moonflame What a cute way to keep everything from walking off mysteriously! I love the colors of that square!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Theres no point in being grown up if you cant act a little childish sometimes.
Summer HPC
Summer Nerd Battles!
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: April 09, 2014 09:46:41 AM »

Hi Moonflame!  Did you realize you posted two projects for Arithmancy in the same post?  You can only get House Points for one of those two posts, but you will receive SPEW points for both.  Did you mean to post one of them as another class?

Oh my Goodness!  That last one was supposed to be SoAR.  I was copy-pasting my header to save time, and forgot to change the class name for that one.  I've fixed it now.  Thanks! Smiley

Awesome!  I fixed your points too!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: April 09, 2014 09:53:46 AM »

~*Headmistress Jennie completes the Homonculous Charm - We are here!*~

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...