A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,893
Currently Running With Scissors:
261 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 53
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Spring Semester 2014~ *JOIN ANYTIME*  (Read 188363 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
samash90
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2014 12:38:01 PM »

Thank you pinkleo , I was a little overwhelmed with info to begin with but I think its sunk in a little now and I have a grasp on it. Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2014 01:14:45 PM »

Thank you pinkleo , I was a little overwhelmed with info to begin with but I think its sunk in a little now and I have a grasp on it. Smiley 
You are more than welcome. Smiley  And I find it best to just jump in.  I promise; once you get going it's easy to get into the swing of things. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ErinAquaheart
Surviving ccancer through crafting

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2014 01:57:13 PM »

Oops!!! Sorry about that pinkleo!  I have corrected the empty spot...it was meant to be for Potions...

Samash90!  Can't wait to see you in the halls and grounds of Hogwarts!  We could always use an enthusiastic Slytherin... Wink

A big welcome from your Care of Magical Creatures professor...

And Coulsenl: your drawings made me smile!  I love the Phoenix...but I am partial to the creatures... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

samash90
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2014 02:40:00 PM »

I agree Pinkleo ,i easily jump in the craft , its the board thing that puzzled me, i feel sad to admit it but it took my half an hour just to figured out how to post on the board Smiley

Sounds good to me Erinaquaheart, i was tossing up between my old sorted house of ravenclaw , but i was feeling rebellious and was leaning towards slytherin Smiley you have sold me !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2014 03:04:38 PM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress....  It's time for a new Join the D.A. Challenge!

~*Mastering the Patronus Charm*~
March 17 - April 7, 2014

"This ancient and mysterious charm conjures a magical guardian, a projection of all your most positive feelings. The Patronus Charm is difficult, and many witches and wizards are unable to produce a full, corporeal Patronus, a guardian which generally takes the shape of the animal with whom they share the deepest affinity. You may suspect, but you will never truly know what form your Patronus will take until you succeed in conjuring it."

The Patronus Charm (Expecto Patronum) is an immensely complicated spell that evokes a partially-tangible positive energy force known as a Patronus, or spirit guardian. The charm was primarily designed for defense against Dementors and Lethifolds.  Dementors as you know, feed on human happiness, draining it from their victims until all they can feel is depression and despair.  While Witches & Wizards are able to defend themselves with this charm, Muggles have no such luxury, and there are many living in depression and despair every day.  A successfully cast corporeal Patronus is able to shield not only its caster, but also other human beings around them.  In this way a single Witch or Wizard can defend their families, friends, neighbors, and even strangers.  

For this Challenge you must craft an item for a CHARITY, that will help bring hope to someone in despair.  Please check out the SPEW Craftalong for a wonderful list of organizations that accept handmade items.  Many of these charities even have guidelines, tutorials and patterns available to help you in your crafting.  Your crafted item will earn you 15 House Points, and cannot be combined with any other class.  

However, in effort to promote the spread of joy and love in the world, your Headmistress is also giving you a chance to earn extra House Points on all charity items crafted within this Challenge's timeline.  For each additional SPEW item you craft, you will earn an additional 5 House Points, on top of the normal 10 points. These SPEW points CAN be combined with Class prompts.  For example, you could create a daffodil yellow quilt for Quilts for Kids to complete your History of Magic homework.  This would earn you 15 House Points for History of Magic, + your normal 10 SPEW points, + 5 Bonus SPEW points = 30 House Points!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coulsenl
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2014 07:23:57 PM »

ErinAquaheart - i love your necklace and converse shoes
pinkleo - pretty hats, i'm sure they will be well loved
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ErinAquaheart
Surviving ccancer through crafting

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2014 08:16:38 PM »

Challenge: Bean--Candied Violets
SPEW: NA
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Violet Fairy
Project Description: I started to look at violet flowers and kept thinking that the blossoms would make really pretty fairy skirts.  I couldn't shake the idea so I drew up a little fairy with a violet blossom for her skirt and had her floating through some violets.  It was excellent inking practice.  I was working on pulling long solid lines with a loaded brush and experimenting with heavy and thin lines to get different details.

Class: Arithmancy
SPEW: NA
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Baby Pink Giraffe
Project Description: I wanted to show my teen sister-in-law how much I really do love her so I painted her a picture for her birthday.  And since the number eight is a symbol for love and friendship I thought that this gift was perfect for this assignment.  It's a little late but I think she will still like it all the same. She told me to pick the animal but told me she loves black and pink.  So this baby was born.  I was trying a different technique for shading.  I like it but I think I was still too scared to go darker.  I will continue to work on that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coulsenl
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2014 09:27:39 PM »

Love the fairy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midkiffsjoy
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2014 09:31:18 PM »

TechnicolorAquahearts- Omg!!  I *LOVE* your A Winter's Tale Painting!!!!  It's GORGEOUS!!!  Their auction isn't online, is it?  Omg Having a piled up art desk *sucks*.  It'll be much easier to do art magic now. Smiley

ErinAquaheart- HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERIN!!!!!!!!  *hopping up and down and waving*  I am SO glad you are getting to enjoy it.  Cheesy  I will keep you in my thoughts all 21st and send you happy thoughts.  Your wash clothes are so bright and colorful!  Smiley  Your fairyflies picture is *beautiful*!!!  Their problem sounds like you might have gotten some wisp in there.  Smiley  Your pink and black drop necklace is beautiful.  I wish I could make such beautiful jewelry.  Smiley  That is a sweet baby afghan.  One of my school sister's just found out she's going to be a grandmother.  I can't wait to make little baby boy things for it. Smiley  Oh I love your custom not chucks! Smiley  Your violet fairy is lovely. Smiley  I love your pink giraffe!!!  Cheesy

gaudiknight- I love your BJD's sweater, and scrappy dress !!!  I haven't been able to sew/crochet for my Bleuette lately, and I miss it.  

BadWold314- That beanbag is going to be HUGE!!!  Your pie looks both delicious and mentally stimulating. Smiley That is a CUTE violet!  I would never have thought to use a paint chip as a crafting media.  Smiley

Sammylouise40- Your violet looks delicious.  (If only it wasn't clay. Lol )  What a sad story, but a wonderful little lady figure.  That is such a cool burning cake!  I really like your clay board!  I'll have to make AnnoyingBigSister something like that for her clay work.  I think that would really help her.  Smiley

margaron- Your snuggly is coming along wonderfully!  I can't wait to see more. Smiley

pinkleo- I love your cleaning cloth and baby square.  How AWESOME to make a baby blanket out of squares everyone has made!!! Smiley  That's so cool! Smiley  Oh I love the Random Granny Ghan.  *Everything* is better with kitties.  Smiley  Your baby hats are always so pretty. Smiley  

Acadian Driftwood- That craft room looks contained!!! Smiley Oh Wow!  All of your wallets are beautiful!!!  Cheesy  

pottermouth- I love your Hippogriff!!!  It looks so awesome!!! Cheesy

Moonflame- I love your LokiDoki scarf. Smiley  Your arm warmers are awesome!!!  I like that yarn too!  Smiley  It looks so fuzzy and warm!!!

blupaisan- Your cuff bracelets are *crafty*. Smiley  Those earrings are awesome!!!  I like 'em! Smiley

seeuudee- Those Steampunk fairy wings are the B O M B!!!  I LOVE them!!! Cheesy

Maman Tattoo- That Winter Coat is AWESOME!!!!! O.O  And those mittens are so cute! Smiley

Netchez- Your square is really pretty.  You worked really hard on it. Smiley

Mistress Jennie- Glad y'all made it to the new apartment in one piece!  I had a bf who would surprise me with Screwdrivers in the shower on particularly hard days.  Ummmm orange juice and vodka....  Smiley

coulsenl- Those are nice petunias.  I like the idea of a mourning petunia.  Smiley  I really like your raven, and your phoenix is beautiful! Smiley

samash90- Hi there!!!  AnnoyingLittleBrother does mainly paper crafts too!  He's really big on origami.  Smiley  

Y'all have all been so busy!!!  Cheesy  The weather has been crazy here and the donkeys have torn apart a fence line so it's been hard for me to find time to work on class projects.  Sometimes it feels like I'm spinning in circles.  I'm really glad I got my Bertie Bott done!  This is the very first time I've worked with this medium.  Smiley

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott Sugar Violets
Quidditch Pitch: Score for Hufflepuff (I'm pretty sure this counts as thrifted)
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Bone Orifice Hook for my Spinning Wheel
Project Page Link (if available):
Brief Description: Having to butcher my calf, and working on the tools I need to tan it's hide has really made me think heavily on art and crafting using organic media.  Living on a ranch that's been in my family for 180 years (this year) I have grown up around bones.  Go for any walk through the woods or pastures and you'll come across bones.  It's the cycle of life and through the years lots of things have died here.  
I have always admired carved bone tools that were so popular during the Victorian times.  I have two friends who are bone carvers and I have always admired the beautiful objects they create.  So I went for a walk through the pastures with a basket and picked up bones.  The one that produced the best working material was a leg bone from a goat named Princess who died this past Winter from old age.  When she was very young she managed to break her leg and I cast it.  It healed beautifully and never slowed her down. Smiley  
The bone had a natural curve in it, perfect for a replacement orifice hook for my spinning wheel, and after I used a hack saw to cut off the ends of the bone, I used a drimel tool with a diamond blade to follow the curve and cut a long section of bone.  I used first my diamond blade to cut as close to what I needed, then used my orbital sander to rough out the shape I needed.  I finished with hand sanding.  I then used the diamond blade to cut the slot.  I used a drimel sanding drum to ease some of the extra  bone away from the front of the slot.  I then hand sanded the slot to a smooth surface.  I was amazed by the smooth and satin surface that I was able to achieve.  It is 7 1/4" long.
Everyone wants to use it as a crochet hook.  Maybe I will try making a crochet hook next.  I have always admired Victorian bone crochet hooks.  
Project Picture:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014 10:16:30 PM by midkiffsjoy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster.  Justifying my need for a craft room. Cheesy

Cheesy !!!!Let's go Hufflepuff Let's go!!!! Cheesy
samash90
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2014 01:31:01 AM »

Due to the fact that i am a ambitious first year my first project on craftster is going to be an owl (nuts right ) well ambition does come with the house Smiley

~*OWL PROPOSAL HEADER*~
OWL Subject & Option:Transfiguration , option 1 and 2
House:Slytherin
Project Name:ambitious first altered book
Brief Description: For my owls i am going to show my mastery of transfiguration , by taking one thing and changing it to another. It will utilize my vanishing and conjuring spells , by transfiguring a large amount of supplies into a finished product. when complete it will have a dual purpose as a decorative book and a scrap/smash book.

plan of action-
step 1: find hardcover book
step 2: removed pages
step 3: glue pages
step 4: pick photos, paper and embelishments
step 5: figure out the rest of the steps

pattern/techniques used - making it up as i go
materials using- anything and everything i have in my stash
expected timeline - must be complete by april the 23rd, as i am taking it to australia with me to give to him for his 50th.

wish me luck - of course no slytherin needs it  Grin

Read more: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431803.0#ixzz2wIggAmVX
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 53 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...