This is a project that has been lingering in the back of my mind for at least three years - since I saw it here on craftster! So when I went to visit ChameleonHound
a few weeks back, we decided to finally try it. I based my dyeing on this tutorial
, which uses powdered dyes instead of liquid.
Here's what I started with, courtesy of Goodwill:
Soak in soda ash solution, and arrange on draining racks:
Cover with snow, and sprinkle on powdered dyes:
And then let them sit and melt for 24 hours! Hand wash until the water runs clear.
Then wash in hot water, and leave to dry (this is the step where you start being rather impressed by yourself, because the things look so cool!):
Everything here was dyed with only three colors - purple, darkish blue, and yellow. Here are my finished products:
ChameleonHound's final shirts: she scrunched them up more, so the dye didn't soak in as much as mine did. I love both ways, and wanna try this one for my next experiments.
For anyone thinking about trying this: I highly recommend it! The method is super fun, and the results are awesome! Love all around!