A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
175 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 70
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [Closed] Art journaling and altered journaling along - ongoing - 2014 - 2016  (Read 142319 times)
Tags for this thread: art_journal , craftalong  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Smmarrt
« Reply #280 on: January 30, 2014 10:40:18 PM »

Gesso is a bit pricey but worth the investment. It does priming and painting and covers and acts as a resist and a lot more.

For glossy pages  - you can sand them with a fine grit sand paper or sanding block. That knocks some of the shine off and adds "tooth" which you need for your layers...

And what a sweet story.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluttermuffin
« Reply #281 on: January 30, 2014 11:29:00 PM »

thanks you all for the tips... I can't wait to do some shopping and get started...   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3
Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: January 31, 2014 08:07:56 AM »

I have a question for those of you who have been altering  books.  On glossy pages, how do you prime them to take paint?  is gesso a must or will cheap primer from the paint department work as well?  I have a coffee table book with a solid black canvas cover.  all the pages inside are thick and glossy (like photo paper).

I use gesso when I'm doing something more permanent and a keeper as it is quality stuff, but spendy for large projects.

I us interior primer paint when I'm slathering the stuff on! Altered books, paper bags, etc.
Works pretty darned good. Do sand shiny surfaces and most surfaces can use a light sanding to clear finger oil, etc. Then paint. Doesn't take much sanding, a fine sandpaper and a light touch usually will do it.

Have fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
Ludi
May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #283 on: January 31, 2014 05:12:52 PM »

Contemplating a very personal "get naked" journal page which makes me nervous.   Shocked Tongue Huh Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
greybird
« Reply #284 on: January 31, 2014 06:03:05 PM »

That's exactly what I did - added ribbons and fibers. I will add two more holes and take another photo!
Looking forward to seeing it!   Cheesy

I suppose we could organize a paper and journal fodder swap....anyone interested? I have soooooo much stuff I could send each and every one of you an envelope FULL of goodness. Or a box full. Or a ginormous bag full.

I'm definitely interested, but I'm not sure if I have enough stuff to participate or not since I'm new to this and only started collecting bits and bobs.    Huh   What might be some things to include?  Maybe I'm just not realizing a source of something I would have to share.   

cmarion - love the prints!   Especially the birch in winter ones, beautiful colors!

fluttermuffin - that is so awesome!    Cheesy    Your hubby sounds like such a sweetheart.   Cheesy    And I've not tried primer, but I love gesso.   Smiley

Contemplating a very personal "get naked" journal page which makes me nervous.   Shocked Tongue Huh Lips sealed
You should do it.   Smiley   If it turns out too personal, and you feel uncomfortable sharing then just keep it for yourself.   Smiley       

THIS ROCKS   Logged
yoopidou
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2014 06:34:08 PM »

Grin Ah ah, all this talk about a get naked page. I keep seeing myself..., hum, well... naked and thinking: " Are you really sure you want to see that?" I must have a dirty mind!

I suppose we could organize a paper and journal fodder swap....anyone interested? I have soooooo much stuff I could send each and every one of you an envelope FULL of goodness. Or a box full. Or a ginormous bag full.

I'm definitely interested, but I'm not sure if I have enough stuff to participate or not since I'm new to this and only started collecting bits and bobs.    Huh   What might be some things to include?  Maybe I'm just not realizing a source of something I would have to share.   
Same for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smmarrt
« Reply #286 on: January 31, 2014 07:53:59 PM »

There's a thread started in the New Swap Ideas page for an ephemera swap. I might organize if Wulf or anyone else doesn't want to do it.

As for stuff: I love thrift stores and there's a neighborhood in San Francisco where I can walk to 3 stores over 5 blocks, and two are big stores. I buy all kinds of stuff (don't be frightened of my list - I do use this stuff with my preschoolers, too!)

playing cards
greeting cards and envelopes (I mostly use the envies and give the cards to the kids)
paper - ledger books, copy paper, card stock, old calendars, old music books and sheet music, paper dolls and coloring books, packages of note pads and card game tally sheets, magazines and maps
vintage games and/or game pieces - dominoes and dice
small butter molds and little tins for petit fours
old books and foreign language books
sewing notions and ribbons/trims

If I don't use stuff within 6 months, I just donate it again to the thrift store or to SCRAP - which is this cool place for teachers and artists to get all kinds of supplies - like the stuff I mentioned.

If any of you live in a large-ish city, or close to one, look to see (or ask a teacher friend) if their school district has a SCRAP or RAFT or Reuse center. The one here has everything from fabric samples to concert posters to art supplies to 100's of Nat Geo mags to carpet and tile samples, tins, books, left over stuff from contractors, tech companies and any other person who ordered too much stuff or didn't use all the stuff they have. It used to be that teachers could fill a grocery bag and walk out for under $10. Now, the items are individually priced, but I just usually tell the cashier what I have and say "$30 for all?" and so far, that has worked.

Another great place for stuff is your library book sale. Again, I'm lucky enough to have 2 to go to each year. On the last day, everything is $1. I have found moleskine journals, foreign language books, mags and comics, old books for either altering or ripping out pages for other art, playing cards, and music books. I used to go just to buy books to read but now that I make so much paper stuff, it is the best place to find cool stuff.

And one more city thing - there are post cards, posters and flyers EVERYWHERE and I take what I like - sometimes just to copy the style or layout or fonts, sometimes to cut up and collage, and sometimes to punch out to use for inchies and other paper crafts.

So once you start looking, I'm sure you'll find stuff where you never thought to look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smmarrt
« Reply #287 on: January 31, 2014 07:57:25 PM »

Oh and if you have children - I'm sure there's plenty of stash busting to be had with school supplies, ripped books and broken toys.

And one more, if you live in an apartment building with shared garbage and recycling bins, (don't be grossed out) but one can find shopping bags and magazines. No, I haven't scurried back to my apartment with arm loads of brown paper bags! No, that's just sad, really...... Wink Wink Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmarion3
Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2014 04:53:19 AM »

I have scurried home from a dumpster or recycle bin with goodies! Takes a brave heart.

Thank you Smmarrt for all the suggestions. I haunt the thrift stores too. I found a scrapbook calendar from 2008. Loose leaf printed designs for every day of the year. What a find! Some are cute, some are ugly, some are wonderful and so on.

I like the other suggestions too. I will have to ask my teacher friends what resources they have. One resource I have is the church holiday fair. We do a tag sale, and used books and jewelry sale as well. I ask for the leftovers or broken bits, then buy at ridiculously low prices what ever else catches my eye. Fun.

Yes, you must turn in to a hoarder. It's hard I know, but so useful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
yoopidou
« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2014 10:00:03 AM »

If I had a barn, attic, basement...I would fill it with all stuff that I might use one day. I usually keep possible crafting stuff until the art/craft shelves are full. Then, I give or throw some away. I have more space, yeah, I'm happy. As soon as I have gotten rid of it, I find some use for it but I don't have it anymore. So, I need to build s new stash. And it starts again. Wink

I also have found cheap supplies at garage sales.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 70 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...