A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 314,293
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 70
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [Closed] Art journaling and altered journaling along - ongoing - 2014 - 2016  (Read 120586 times)
Tags for this thread: art_journal , craftalong  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #460 on: February 27, 2014 05:47:39 AM »

sugar painting?  now that sounds interesting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2K
« Reply #461 on: February 27, 2014 08:47:11 AM »

Ohmygoshthatblouseistodiefor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Translation:  I love that blouse.  You rock, AIMR!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #462 on: February 27, 2014 08:55:20 AM »

Watercolor and salt. Makes the neatest texture. I've never tried sugar.
This thread sure is running fast but I think we are all on a roll  Grin

My concern with the potato carving would be about the archive quality of it. {molding the paper over time}
I did those as a kid, too. Erasers are about as easy to carve as a potato. Then you have a more permanent stamp that can be re-used. Linoleum works for carving, too. But I think that takes more special tools to do. I have never tried to do that one. But I own some from others. They are very sturdy. And clean well.

I found some giant erasers. They say on them "for big mistakes".  Grin I think I found them at Walmart. About 3" x 8"...just guessing, as I can't find them at the moment. With a good exacto knife, they could carve quite quick.

Just ideas
~T

Whoops...found one 6 1/4" x 2 , and  1" thick  Cheesy You could probably split it, or else just carve both sides. And the sides, for that matter.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014 09:00:41 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #463 on: February 27, 2014 09:05:19 AM »

I never thought about mold...it makes sense that some of the potato would transfer to paper or fabric...fabric you can wash if necessary..wouldn't the moisture dry on paper making it inhabitable to mold?  Why would it be any different than using watercolor or other moisture on your pieces, even glue?

I have not seen many molded vegetable stamp projects to know , but I do like using them to stamp!

Does anyone else have more experience with veggie stamps that could comment?

I do love eraser stamps!  I can only find the small ones around here...they are white and easily carveable!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014 09:05:56 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmarion3

Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: February 27, 2014 09:44:57 AM »

Water evaporates and leaves nothing behind, but the potato might leave organic material like starch, which can reabsorb moisture and also makes a great medium for mold. You likely would not get any organic material, but if you are going for archive quality, don't use a potato. But if you are going for ephemera....note cards, wrapping paper, signs, stamping bags for gifts, etc. Then potatoes are fantastic for fun, short lived stamps. Also an easy craft for kids.

If you do use potatoes and want to make sure your final product is protected, you could use a fixitive or sealer on your page. Seal those organic bits in.

See what a college education can do for you. make you give long answers to fun swap trivia.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
teag
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #465 on: February 27, 2014 10:18:21 AM »

Here's a couple more pages (or 7) from my journal techniques journal

THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #466 on: February 27, 2014 10:32:10 AM »

Teag--I am liking your techniques journal a whole lot!! 

cmarion3--thanks for that info...sharing info makes it so much easier than trying to learn everything on one's own...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stillatthetop
« Reply #467 on: February 27, 2014 10:55:22 AM »

teag...I am loving your pages, too. Quite inventive. I have tried a few of your ideas before, but mine did not turn out quite as well as yours.  Angry

CM3...you always crack me up. And thanks for the additional information for the potato thing. I use Krylon fixatif. But I would think then you would have to seal both sides, or it might mold from the back.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
mariak
« Reply #468 on: February 27, 2014 12:02:30 PM »

Teag.....you are Awesome.  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt

« Reply #469 on: February 27, 2014 12:38:41 PM »

Love the flying car.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Junk Journal-along in the Misc. Topics board
Altered Puzzle Pieces coming soon....
Another 4 x 6 Art Swap
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 70 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: No Boil Mac and Cheese
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...