A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 314,824
Currently Running With Scissors:
232 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two questions, what fabric and what's this called?  (Read 1558 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: November 16, 2013 01:44:48 PM »

Hey guys. I need to make treat pouches for animal training. So I need a fabric that's waterproof, or at least water resistant. What kind of fabrics would that be? (Scotchguarding would be unsuitable, I'd think as the pouches would need to be washed and I don't know if it's toxic.)

Also, does anyone know what these kind of hinges are called? http://www.blackdog.net.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=74&product_id=133

A lot of treat pouches use them so that they can be propped open or closed semi-securely to keep out nosey animals. I'd like to use them in mine too. But I can't find a supplier until I know what they're called.

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013 02:24:00 PM »

You're going to want to use a PUL fabric (polyurethane laminated)- and if you're concerned about them being food-safe, I'd go with one called Eco-PUL... I have no clue about the hinge, I'm sorry!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013 07:14:02 PM »

Looks like a snap purse closure.  Wink
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013 10:37:29 AM »

The hinges are sometimes called squeeze frames or snap frames...look for them from purse making supplies.

As for the fabric.  I've made some treat bags for my dogs out of packcloth and then lined with nylon ripstop with a polyurethane or silicone coating.  The coating makes it waterproof and the nylon is a smooth fine weave that wipes clean easily, which is nice for moist treats like bits of hot dog and cheese.  The packcloth is heavier so makes a nice pouch that holds it shape well and is really durable.  Both can be bought for outdoor fabric stores...I've bought from http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html#silicone%20ctd%20rs  and http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/All-Ripstop-Nylon-Fabrics.  I've seen these fabrics at box stores (like Joanns) at times but don't know if most stores keep them in stock.

You could use PUL as it's waterproof but the front side is a cotton knit which is soft and textured...great for soft clothing like baby diapers but it will absorb moisture and smells as well as collect dirt and hair.   Also you still have to line it with something as the polyurethane coating will rub off if left exposed.  It's also a knit so doesn't hold it shape as well.  It's doable but wouldn't be my 1st choice.   

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Holiday Lantern

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.