A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 314,820
Currently Running With Scissors:
166 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 3 Dresses (6 pictures)  (Read 5552 times)
Tags for this thread: dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

gaylefrancis
« on: September 05, 2013 11:41:43 AM »

I don't have any patterns for these. I learned to crochet to my measurements years ago for a pencil skirt tutorial that was up at crochetme, and I've gotten pretty good at making stuff that fits me pretty well. Let's take the tour, shall we?

Yarns:

Caron Simply Soft (black)
Red Heart Super Saver (pink)

Hook:
H-hook

Notes: This entire dress is one long screw up. I started out trying to make a halter with the Caron, and when I realized I bungled it, I added the pink parts to try and salvage it, and when that still wasn't working quite right, I added the skirt just to see if I could actually turn it into something I'd wear, and lo and behold, I did. I have to be careful how I bend over in it, as the neckline gets a bit risque, and I'm still not sure I totally love how the back turned out, but every time I wear it, I get a compliment or two, so I call it a win.

There's a string of elastic crocheted in the pink accent at the waist to help keep the whole thing looking properly fitted. I think the Simply Soft works really well for garments, but I'm not sure I'd use the Super Saver again. It works in this instance, but I find it's better for hats and scarves and arm warmers and stuff that you're gonna wash a lot so it'll soften up a bit more.

Yarn:
Lion Brand Pound of Love

Hook:
G-Hook

Notes: I wanted to practice the V-Stitch, which I'd never worked with before, and I also had enough yarn to make basically anything, so I figured another dress couldn't hurt. This was made from the waist up, then the skirt was added, and finally I added the neck piece. The neck piece was attached on one side and worked in rows of V-stitch to compliment the v-stitch at the waist. I wanted some sort of small decoration around the neck, and the neck piece was too long anyway, so I worked it into a flat knot and then sewed down the loose end.

This one's actually just a little loose in the back, so it has a tendency to slip down an inch or so. It doesn't slip so much I get nervous in it, though. Pretty sure there's hidden elastic in the waist of this one, too.

Yarn:
Patons Classic Wool Worsted (light blue)
Caron Simply Soft (dark blue)

Hook: H-hook

Notes: My pride and joy, specifically styled to call back to Joan Halloway's wardrobe on Mad Men. This is easily the best dress I've ever made. I started at the waist, worked my way to the shoulders, then added the skirt. The sleeves came next, and I'm very proud of how they turned out, as sleeves and I have a long, acrimonious relationship. It's all double crochet, save a few rounds of single at the waist (to tuck away the ever-present elastic), and the trim is also single crochet. I hand sewed the buttons, and the top can be unbuttoned, though it's got just enough ease I usually just slip it on and off.

It's a bit warm for summer, as it's wool, but it's a perfect fall and winter dress.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Errata-Hate, my YouTube channel, all crochet.

I Crocheted the Thing, my etsy shop with ready-to-ship products and commission information.
vincentvanbuck
In Martha we trust

Breaking loved ones' sewing machines since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013 07:35:49 PM »

Yes, the third is my favorite, too.  The blue looks very pretty on you.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps:

Nerd Battles: Team Multimedia
    Harry Potter Craftalong: House Ravenclaw
    elderflower
    Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013 11:28:31 PM »

Love your crochet dresses. The black and pink is stunning but I also really love the pale blue.  I'd love to know how you crochet elastic into your work. Do you use shirring elastic or a firmer hat elastic? And do you crochet over it or crochet it with the yarn as a double strand?
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    gaylefrancis
    « Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013 09:00:46 AM »

Love your crochet dresses. The black and pink is stunning but I also really love the pale blue.  I'd love to know how you crochet elastic into your work. Do you use shirring elastic or a firmer hat elastic? And do you crochet over it or crochet it with the yarn as a double strand?

I think it's just shirring elastic. I honestly had no idea about hat elastic, though I may look for it and see how it does. I crochet the elastic in by tucking it against the row I've just worked and then working the stitches around it. Row 51 of this patten is actually where I first did it:

http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/88273.aspx

It can be a little tricky because you need to make sure the elastic doesn't turn while you're working. I keep ending up with a wee bit extra lately, and I can't figure out why, but if you've got a little patience, it works well.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Crocheted the Thing, my etsy shop with ready-to-ship products and commission information.
    elderflower
    Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013 10:26:32 AM »

Thanks for that.  I must give it a try. It is nice to have the waist stay fitted without using a drawstring.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    pennydreadfull

Craft or Die \m/

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013 04:58:01 AM »

OMG these are all so beautiful!! I love the 3rd one best I think.  You've got some serious crochet skills lady!!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters - Francisco Goya

Always willing to do personal swaps!
    http://pinterest.com/jamietoohey/
    Instagram - jamietoohey
    alinanicoleta
    « Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013 12:02:22 AM »

Are all so beautiful , but the second is my favourite  Wink
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaylefrancis
    « Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013 12:19:01 AM »

OMG these are all so beautiful!! I love the 3rd one best I think.  You've got some serious crochet skills lady!!

Thank you! That third one has become a favorite fall dress. It's basically like wearing a blanket. I assure you, all these skills are just regular practice mixed with a determination to not frog if I can possibly help it.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaylefrancis
    « Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013 12:24:27 AM »

Are all so beautiful , but the second is my favourite  Wink

Thank you! I think the second one will get worn a bit more when I get a strapless bra that actually stays where I need it to. Smiley I do like the whole look of it a lot.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

ceralea
    « Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013 12:46:29 AM »

That's an awe inspiring amount of work!  The shaping on them all looks lovely.
    Something to aim for -  I haven't moved beyond a (baby) hat yet.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    Threads you might like:
    Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
    only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
    Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Vanilla Spice Nut Mix
    Meatless Monday: Cheddar Bay Biscuits
    Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Fabric Beads

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...