A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,585
Currently Running With Scissors:
200 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YARN DYEING 101 - KOOL AID  (Read 221024 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , kool_aid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

spunkkygirl
« Reply #350 on: January 20, 2006 06:58:29 PM »

Do you think I could use apple cider vinegar or does it have to be that white distilled vinegar??  I don't have any regular vinegar and I can't get any tonight but I would SO LOVE to try this like NOW!!!! thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk.  That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.- Ernest Hemingway
elijor
« Reply #351 on: January 20, 2006 07:14:51 PM »

I've done it quite a few times and never used any vinegar. The kool-aid is acidic by itself.

I've felted the dyed wool so I know the dye was set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spunkkygirl
« Reply #352 on: January 20, 2006 07:43:39 PM »

Thank you SO MUCH  Cheesy for the quick reply you are so sweet!! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk.  That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.- Ernest Hemingway
spunkkygirl
« Reply #353 on: January 21, 2006 12:22:57 AM »

Well thank you so much for your help, I used the cider vinegar and various flavors, myfavorite is the lemonade, pink lemonade one!! Grin  Any feedback (even negative is appreciated)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013 12:48:25 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 21, 2006 03:16:57 AM »

is it possible to dye a felted garment with this method? or is it possible to dye it first and then felt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkLlama
« Reply #355 on: January 21, 2006 10:29:28 AM »

Does anyone have a picture of an item they have dyed with koolaid and then felted? A before and after picture maybe, I would like to see if it fades or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #356 on: January 21, 2006 04:05:22 PM »

PinkLlama you gave me the push I needed to figure out how to post a pix.

HopefullyYeah it works, here is a picture of some Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool I dyed with Kool-Aid (actually Flavoraid - Kool-aid's illegitimate step brother Wink ) as well as a cell phone pouch I knit with it. I would have to say the dye job definitely does not fade. The color does change slightly but I checked all of my other felt stuff and that is true for all of them. Probably the fact the the yarns are more compacted and the slight fuzz the felted item has.

Here is another purse and a close up to show a multicolored dye job.

A close up of the purse.
https://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/37809Kool-Aid_Purse_Close-up_small.jpg

The slight white areas, like right on the tip of the tab, are not fades. They are gaps between the colors from when I dyed the yarn. This was my first batch and I have learned to be more careful. It's a trick to not have white spots and also not have too much blending of the colors.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013 05:24:56 PM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knightswhosayknit
Veni, Vidi, Texui

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 21, 2006 04:22:36 PM »

elijor- that purse is beautifu. I actually like the white spots in the yarn, and they're definitely better than the brown spots you get if the dyes mix.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone on Ravelry? My username is Caitlism, friend me!
spunkkygirl
« Reply #358 on: January 21, 2006 06:48:51 PM »

Ok my pix aren't working, and I have tried about three different ways.  Can someone give me a quick class on how to post them? I looked at other threads and I am not sure what I am doing wrong!  ugh Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkLlama
« Reply #359 on: January 21, 2006 07:22:02 PM »

PinkLlama you gave me the push I needed to figure out how to post a pix.

elijor, thanks so much for posting those pictures. My only concern was fading so now there is nothing stopping me. The purse is beautiful. I like the few white spots it adds to the varigatedness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf
The Birds and The Bees

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...