A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Which flip flop creation is your favorite?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 313,866
Currently Running With Scissors:
320 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 104
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: YARN DYEING 101 - KOOL AID  (Read 213760 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , kool_aid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

litlnemo
« Reply #860 on: December 07, 2006 06:09:56 AM »

Thank you! It was a gamble, though. I did test with strands of yarn before I dyed the whole thing, at least. But I knew I might not be happy with the results. Luckily it worked pretty well.

It would have been better to dye the yarn before knitting it, of course!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peariso
« Reply #861 on: December 07, 2006 08:02:36 AM »

I need to know what i'm doing wrong when it comes to the Wilton dyes.   Huh 

I have soaked my wool with viniger for at least 20mins.  I have made sure that there was A LOT of viniger in the water/dye mixture and I actually boil it all until i get the colour i like.

But the dye never seems to set and when i'm mixing it in the beginning it is like mixing oil and water.  It is very separatey (K i just made that one up)  Then it bleeds for ever.  Even when i'm knitting with it, it stains my hands and feels almost greasy.

I have washed my fo but i'm just worried that my brother will have blue feet/carpets...

Thanks so much guys
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all easier to stalk me by   http://www.wists.com/Peariso
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #862 on: December 07, 2006 08:18:39 AM »

You may have had too much vinegar

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=102434.msg999545#msg999545
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
peariso
« Reply #863 on: December 07, 2006 08:34:40 AM »

I never would have thought of that.  I was always under the assumption that the more the better.  Thank you for pointing me to that Dulcinea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all easier to stalk me by   http://www.wists.com/Peariso
Dulcinea

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #864 on: December 07, 2006 08:38:21 AM »

SEARCH is your friend!

Seriously, any questions you may have, always go there first - you can probably find the answers, and it'll be faster than waiting for someone to reply with an answer to your question  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
meilynne
yarnaholic

sock it to me, baby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: December 08, 2006 07:01:03 PM »

After many frustrations with hot pink pots, spoons, wash water, and eventually fading pink yarn, I finally figured out how to dye with that tricky red #3 - a beautiful bright watermelon pink that also makes the violet lovely as well.

It's all because red #3 dyes at a lower acidity than the rest of the colors, so here's how I did it....

I added a washed & soaked skein of Paton's Classic Merino to a 4 qt. pot filled with 3 qts. of cool water w/ 1 tsp of Wilton's violet (red #3 & blue #1) dissolved in it. Hint: Wilton dissolves faster in a little hot water, then add to the dyepot.

I started with 2 tbsp of vinegar, and heated to almost boiling, then turned it down to the lowest temp, just below simmer. I let that sit for about 30 minutes, then the water turned blue as the red absorbed, but the blue didn't. Then every 20 minutes or so, I added 2 more tbsp of vinegar, until I was up to 10 tbsp, when the water finally turned clear as the blue completely absorbed.

I let the whole thing cool overnight in the pot - I hear that makes the dye set better. I washed and rinsed the whole thing the next morning, and though the yarn was slightly varigated with different hues of purple, not a speck of pink residue was left behind.

HTH,
Mei in AR

http://yarngear.com/craftster/wilton-violet.jpg
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013 01:18:04 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

« Reply #866 on: December 08, 2006 07:28:06 PM »

Really pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Dulcinea

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #867 on: December 08, 2006 07:28:17 PM »

BOY, is that pretty!

Nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
Boffcat
« Reply #868 on: December 09, 2006 04:08:03 AM »

Ohh, that's a gorgeous purple!

I'm thinking of buying a big batch of natural, undyed hemp yarn - does anyone know if hemp would take well to any of the dying techniques used in this thread? I'd be most likely to go down the food colouring route, as we don't have kool aid here. And is it daft to try dying a reeeaally big skein (about 1,000 yards)? Would I be better off seperating it into more manageable amounts? Any help would be very much appreciated!

(Apologies if something similar's been asked before; I had a quick skim through and couldn't find anything.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who would have thought - I have a blog!
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: December 09, 2006 04:32:46 AM »

Meilynne, I think you've got it! but I want to take a wait and see approach. Anything that's under 7 ph is an acid so theoretically, red 3 can dye protein, and it is also called acid red 51, so you think that it would be able to, you know, dye things, but I have never had any luck with it and thought that at that low of an acidity, it would take forever for it to penetrate.

I don't have anything to measure the exact ph level, but I did put a litmus strip in a solution of 3 qts water and 2 tbs vinegar and it imho turned a little too red a little too quickly to be between 6 and 7 ph. I should mention though that the 6 ph number I got came from the website of a food coloring supplier as a usage guideline. Red 3 probably doesn't separate at exactly 6 but at 5.something or 6.something.

How long ago did you dye this skein? Have you noticed any fading or rub off at all? I'm definitely going to do some tests of my own, but keep us posted if the color fades, or doesn't fade. It's such a great shade of purple that I really hope it keeps.

Peariso: Red 3's the only food coloring that will separate when too much vinegar is added, though what can happen with all dyes when too much vinegar is in the dye bath, is the dye strikes the yarn/roving so quickly that all of the dye penetrates the outside leaving the inside undyed.

I'm going to say stay away from red 3 at least until you've had time to experiment with it on non essential yarn or roving.

Boffcat: Hemp is a cellulose fiber, it can't be dyed by food coloring, wilton's or kool aid, sorry. You'll need a cellulose dye, Dylon is a good one and its available at many large arts and crafts stores.  All plant fibers are cellulose, food coloring can only dye protein fibers which includes animal fibers, and a few new food based synthetic fibers like soysilk and silk latte. It can also dye nylon since its very similar in structure to protein.

Offtopic: Given what red 3 can do to dyepots and utensils,  can you just imagine what it does to the stomach once it comes in contact with stomach acid?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 104 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 26, 2017 Featured Projects
What's Up Girlfriend?
Tute Tuesday: Cons to Mary Janes

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...