A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 311,870
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Does anyone use paper stencil and letting the ink 'glue' it to the screen  (Read 304 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

flamingo obsessed

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 01, 2017 09:08:44 AM »

I did a short screen printing course a million years ago and I want to get back to doing some more, I am going to a medieval reenactment event and I want to make some banners, and I can't be arsed painting them

I have a screen, squeegee, paint and I had a go and promptly ran into problems, the first print was good. then it went very pearshaped.

The technique that I learned was cut the stencil out of thinnish paper (think newsprint) lay it down and put the screen on top, mask off the sides with tape as usual and then do a flood stroke, this will cause the paper to stick to the screen. It is cheap and fast and works well when there is no colour gradient needed and relatively simple shapes (although this is limited by the detail of the cut) it is also only useful for one session of printing, once you have run out of time and patience and let the whole thing dry out, the stencil is junk.

So as I said the first print worked fine, but i think I had problems because my speedball ink is old, about 7 years old and has the consistency of mayo. Should it be thinner??

I think I pushed too hard and so that caused the paper to wrinkle a bit causing bleeds (and gnashing of teeth) Then given that my enthusiasm won out over planning things properly, I ended up with paint to the eyeballs because I hadn't worked out anywhere to put the screen or squeegee down.

Two questions, do you know of any good online tutes on the old fashioned paper stencil method.
Any details of appropriate consistency of the ink?

OK I lied, three questions, any good videos online showing the basics of the push pull stroke.

I actually do have emulsions, but it is a lot of faff with developing them and I only have one good screen at the moment, so I don't want to tie it up. Plus my image is pretty simple so a paper cut works fine.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Martlet_(English).png

Advice for this very messy person
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, for supplies, surprises, flamingo themed things and general silliness

I would love to get my hands on charlie harper fabric.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017 10:29:13 AM »

I have only done printing with freezer paper stencils which are generally one time use only. I mix cheap acrylic paint with fabric medium but I've read thinning it with water makes it more flexible too. I sponge it on to fill the space instead of rolling or spreading.

I watched this video here, he's using a clear plastic instead of paper. Over head projector film is supposed to be good for cutting stencils, also those clear plastic inserts for protecting paper in a binder. Perhaps going with something like that instead of paper might do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OCgFA9RJIo

Also, there is this cheapy way of making a screen with sheer fabric and white crafting glue. You need something bigger than an embroidery hoop but you can staple that fabric to a frame of some sort in the right size. I think that might make for less possibility of paint seeping around the image.
http://www.thriftyfun.com/Custom-Homemade-Screen-Printed-T-Shirts-1.html

I wonder if one of those small, dense foam paint rollers would do the trick.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017 10:30:32 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

Crafting is the best medicine.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017 01:09:11 PM »

Have you seen this stuff, thermo transfer sheets? I haven't before now but it looks nifty.
http://balzerdesigns.typepad.com/balzer_designs/2013/04/thermofax-how-to.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

flamingo obsessed

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017 03:03:24 AM »

Oh that does look interesting
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, for supplies, surprises, flamingo themed things and general silliness

I would love to get my hands on charlie harper fabric.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Curtain Rods
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...