A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
239 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i have no idea how to use this machine!  (Read 1307 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
acheirhea
« on: August 21, 2006 09:54:05 PM »

I received this sewing machine from a woman who works with my dad. It is her late mothers, and an instruction manual was nowhere to be found. I checked singer.com, and they could not match its serial number with a make and it does not have a make written on it anywhere so I cannot get a replacement manual. I tried looking for a manual that looks like it, but the ones I looked at before I got too overwhelmed did not look anything like my machine. I also cannot find a website that tells me which part is which, what it does, and how to use it! This is very frustrating, I've had this machine all summer and I've barely touched it, and there are so many things I can use it for! I also don't have much fabric at hand to toy around with, as well as no needles or thread as of yet (it has a little bit of thread and a needle of some kind in it already, I don't think I know how to change the needle and I assume I just thread it by bobbin). If someone knows the make of this machine, or one like it that I could get a manual for, I would appreciate it, as well as any direction to a site that will break the parts down for a total beginner, as well as possibly any really easy alterations I could try doing with this machine and how to do it. Thanks in advance! Here's the machine, the devil:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
AriadnesThread
Take your life like you would a whore - Pogues

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006 10:25:37 PM »

I'd bet my ass that's a Wal-Mart Singer.  Singer won't have a manual on this, because it's sold only to Wal-Mart.   Without sewing machine experience, you're going to have a hard time.  Try to snag someone around you with some experience, even take it to a Singer dealer.  You can't go wrong with the dealer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006 07:50:58 PM »

YOU ARE MISSING A PART. In the middle of the dial that has a 1 2 3 4 5 (that's your stitch length) there should be a button. I think it's for backstitiching, so you may be ok with out it.
I had a bunch of these in my costume shop. I heard the previous teacher had gotten them as a deal through singer. Unfortunalty I'm no longer in that shop. They are pretty easy to work with. Middle schoolers could use them. Well, after 6 weeks of training they could sew. Most of them. Most of the time.
What specificaly are you looking for? I may be able to help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006 08:25:46 PM »

I agree that you are missing the backstiching button however I think you can still push the button in without the actual button part. Anyways...
I used to have a very similar machine. The big dial is your stich length.
The "button" in the middle makes the machine back stich. (all this was stated before)
The small dail abouve the needle adjusts the bobbin thread. This will vary depending on what type of fabric you use and what kind of stich you are using.
The two switches across the front...
The first one (by the needle) is your stich type. The first is the standard straight stich, and the rest are varying zig-zag stiches. The second is your needle setting. You can align it to the left middle and right. typically I like the center.
The print above the Singer logo suggests you can do a button-hole stich. I'm not sure where your setting are for that though.
The little thingie on the top is the bobbin thread thingie. It's for re-threading the bobbin thread.
The dial on the side is for hand moving the needle and I think you push that indent to switch it to thread the bobbin instead of having the needle move.
I hope that helps a little. I'm assuming you know ho to thread the machine but if you don't jsut reply and I'll try to explain. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not super active, but still crafting and post lots on facebook.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...