A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
323 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 110
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED-HP Craftalong ~Summer Semester 2013~  (Read 269854 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
AnnoyingLittleBrother
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2013 06:02:59 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott's Marmalade Challange
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Annoying Little Brother's Purple Jar lamp
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.) I took a jar, and put shapes cut from painter's tape on it.  Then I spray painted it purple.  (This is the first time I've ever spray painted anything.) When it was dry I took the painter's tape off, and I put a candle in it.  The lamp says "Chris" on it (that's my name), and has a full moon with a cresent moon on either side of it, a star, a key and lock, and a horn (the type that you blow into) on it.    
Project Picture:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL86/9414032/18592501/406915495.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnnoyingBigSister

EEVEE FOREVER!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2013 06:26:26 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Berttie Bott's Marmalade Challange
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Two mice in a marmalade jar
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.) There's a fat mouse who ate ALL the marmalade, and there's a skinny mouse who is ANGRY at the fat mouse, because he ate all the marmalade.  So she refuses to talk to him.

Project Picture:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL86/9414032/18592501/406915638.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
netchez
« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2013 06:47:22 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott's Marmalade Challenge
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Jello in a jar
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.) This is a lemon jello with cherries all in a jar.  The smaller jar is used for individual servings.  I used about 1/3 of the jarful of pitted cherries.  I mixed the jello according to the manufacturer's instructions.  In the larger jar I mixed the cherries in the jello before putting it in the fridge.  This produced a nice reddish color.  The other I put in the fridge to start chilling.  After about 1/2 hour I stirred the larger jar to mix the cherries downward and put the cherries in the other and stirred.  I then returned both jars to the fridge to finish chilling.  

This would work well for indiviual servings at a picnic or  at a party.

Project Picture:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013 07:43:36 PM by netchez » THIS ROCKS   Logged
netchez
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2013 06:51:34 PM »

AnnoyingLittleBrother: For a first time project, you did a really good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenleahlynn
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2013 08:10:08 PM »

class/challenge- bertie botts beans-marmalae
house-gryffendor
project-strawberry syrup

it's strawberry season here in indiana, but my kids eat them much too quickly for me to load the canner with jars. i did find plastic lids to screw onto my glass jars for storing in the fridge. the large glass jar is sliced strawberries in sugar, after resting in the fridge a couple hours it draws out some of the juice. i also bought plastic freezer jars to tuck away a few at a time for later in the year if any make it that long.

i found a recipie online simmering strawberries in water and sugar to create a sauce for freezing. i don't like fresh strawberries, but the strained sauce is good on cake or waffles.(jar 2)  my husband will eat my share of the cooked strawberries. (jar 3)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn

pinterest.com/jenleahlynn
jenleahlynn
« Reply #195 on: June 10, 2013 08:16:09 PM »

netches-pinkleo-i love the jars used to hold individual servings. i'm going to try        packing strawberry shortcake for my husbands lunch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenleahlynn

pinterest.com/jenleahlynn
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2013 09:00:46 AM »

***Dear Headmistress, Please excuse the late turn i n of this homework.  I've had a crazy few days.  You may choose to count it or not for points, as you see fit.  Either way, I just want my pretty Marmalade badge.  Wink

Challenge: Bertie Bott's Marmalade
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: Peach & Blackberry Liqueurs

Brief Description: Every summer I make batches of fruit liqueurs with whatever fresh fruit is available at the Farmer's Market.  (And sometimes in the winter, when they are in season, I make Pomegranate Cordial.)  Cordials and liqueurs are very simple to make, are fabulous for gift giving at Christmas, and let you remember the fresh tastes of summer in the darker winter days.  For this challenge, I made a batch of Peach Liqueur and a batch of Blackberry Liqueur, because each of them only take a week or so to finish, unlike some other cordials which can take 3-4 months to prepare.  Here are my recipes for each of them.  Please remember, that these recipes are for those of us of age to indulge in such things!

Project Picture:

(Please excuse the awful picture.  I made double batches and bottled and gave away the rest.  I'll try to get a better one in a bit...)

Peach Liqueur
1.5 lbs of fresh peaches
1/2-1 cup of sugar, to taste (I generally go light on the sugar, which can always be increased later)
2 cups bourbon, brandy, or vodka (I generally use vodka)

Peel, pit, and slice the peaches.  Place in a saucepan.  Add the sugar, stirring to combine, and warm over low heat until the sugar is dissolved and peaches are very juicy.  Place the peach mixture into a clean mason jar (sterilized in the dish washer if possible).  Cover and place in a cool, dark place for 1 week, shaking occasionally.  (You may use the refrigerator to store the mixture, depending on your climate this time of year.)

After aging, strain the liqueur though a wire mesh strainer.  Press the liquid out of the fruit.  (You can now toss the fruit, or serve it over ice cream.)  Restrain the mixture through a finer mesh strainer, and if desired, you can strain again through coffee filters, though this takes a very long time.  The liqueur is ready for cooking or drinking at this point, but it improves to a smoother finish if aged another month.  

*If desired, you may make this a spiced liqueur by adding 1-2 cinnamon sticks and 4-6 whole cloves.

Blackberry Liqueur
1 lb of fresh blackberries
2 cups water, filtered
1-2 cups of sugar, to taste (I generally go light on the sugar, which can always be increased later)
4 cups vodka

Rinse & check through the berries.  Discard any over ripe or moldy berries.  Place in a stain-proof bowl & crush lighly with the back of a wooden spoon.  Set aside.  Add the water and sugar to a sauce pan, stirring to combine, and warm over moderate heat until the sugar is dissolved.  Place the berries into a clean mason jar (sterilized in the dish washer if possible), and pour over the sugar syrup.  Cover and place the fridge for 1 week, shaking occasionally.  

After aging, strain the liqueur though a wire mesh strainer into a large bowl.  Add the vodka.  Pour into a clean mason jar (or two), and let age 2 month before drinking.  Bottle as desired.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013 09:02:14 AM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #197 on: June 11, 2013 09:34:02 AM »

Class: CoMC
Ravenclaw EC: CoMC
Project Name: Avatar the Last Air Bender Moon and Ocean Spirits
Brief Description:
I have always been inspired by the hoop in this post. So I decided to make one of my own! All of the supplies came out of my stash, but I am actually glad that I used the fabric I did. I freehanded the picture, basing it off of some images online, and the pen didn't wash out like I thought it would. Because the fabric is a little crazy with all the blues, you can't tell easily (or so I tell myself!) I tried for a very strong Yin/Yang shape.

For this project, I was inspired by the Jobberknolls to use the blue fabric, and the spirits for the pattern.

Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #198 on: June 11, 2013 09:46:28 AM »

Class: MS
Ravenclaw EC: Transfiguration
Project Name: Salad Jars
Brief Description:
I love salad and have been trying to eat healthier...but I don't like to make a fresh salad every time! Plus, it would just be too hard to carry all of the supplies on our camping trip. Wink So I prepped these salad jars to bring with. I used dressing, carrots, radishes, a couple small heirloom tomatoes, spinach leaves, and parmesan cheese. This is my first time making salad jars, so I read up about them online first. Supposedly the acidity of the dressing should help to soften and sweeten the radishes and the carrots before I eat them. I hope it's true! Cheesy

I had to transfigure the jars in order to put the salads somewhere. I need practice though, because the jars didn't all end up looking the same. Sad

Project Picture:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013 09:47:27 AM by SiakelA » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FiberAlchemist

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: June 11, 2013 10:31:42 AM »

@moonflame - Great use of Orange in your project!

@teag - I love your shrines, so detailed

@travelgirl - what an ambitious gift idea

@midkiffsjoy - lovely arm warmers

@pinkleo - overnight oatmeal interests me as I don't always want to cook first thing in the morning.  Do you eat it cold or warm it up? and how is the texture after its sat overnight?

@AnnoyingLittleBrother - Welcome!

@AnnoyingBigSister - Welcome!

@netchez - I never would have thought to use small jars as individual jello cups.  Much less expensive than buying the pre-made ones.

@jenleahlynn - strawberry syrup sounds so yummy!

@jennieingram - those both look delicious.  I might have to try to make some this summer.

@SiakelA - I adore your hoop.  I love the design for the fish and the fabric your stitched it on.  I've been thinking of trying salad jars too (so much easier to prep a weeks worth at once instead of everyday)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 110 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...