A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
248 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question concerning ear peircings  (Read 9754 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
PuckrUpNkissMoi
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2005 04:59:54 PM »

CatyX - when you say "professionally proper," what exatly does that mean???

Claire's, walmart, and the piercing pagoda are not...  proper.  And if a place actually uses a gun, i would not recommended going there!  You never know what other unsafe practices they use....  (this is strange, though, as i personally have never heard of a piercing studio that actually promotes gun use.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~   air guitar staR

------------------------------

Don't just recycle ~ FREEcycle!!  Visit www.freecycle.org
DorkasaurusRex
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2005 07:29:40 PM »

I'm stuck- I've looked all over the internet

CatyX-
Try asking around.  My piercers are not actually on the internet anymore (they used to be).  I work at a coffee shop so it's easy for me to just ask people who are ordering where they get their piercings done.  If you are looking for a good place, most people I have asked are very polite and actually very eager to recommend their favorites (I know I am, I hand out their number and have it in my cell phone).

Brewster-
It's really odd that your Mom grounds you.  I wonder if she or a relative had a traumatic experience or something.  Probably not, just me stirring up drama.  Anyway, still really odd.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Then he asked,"Lord, what about when there was one set of footprints on one side and also a straight line with bootprints on one side and small round circles on the other?" The Lord replied, "Those were when I carried you, and we were joined by a pirate pushing a wheelbarrow."
Flip Flop
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2005 08:11:08 PM »

boy i wish i knew this before i got my ears pierced...i have 3 holes in each ear from the mall. I havent had any problems (well once one hole hurt but i just put some disinfectant on it and it got better) but looking at these i would definitely have gone with a pro piercer...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PuckrUpNkissMoi
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2005 10:00:06 AM »

i'm with ya, flip flop!  I tend to think that almost everyone who is pierced has at least 1 lobe piercing that was gunned...  It's a totally different story to get your ears gunned when you don't know better, but to get them gunned when you know the risks of it and such..  wow! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~   air guitar staR

Brewster

I have a very hot man in my av. With eyes or not!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2005 01:38:14 PM »

Yeah.  She did take another one of my sisters to get her ears pierced when she was 1 year old . and she screamed.  But
A. That piercing was DONE with a GUN!
B. SHE WAS A BABY! Of course she screamed!  This sister, is 11!  Nearly a teenager!

And my moms ears were pierced by her mother.  With a needle and thread.  Jah.
So no, no one has had a "traumatic" experience besides our older sister, when she was a BABY.  And that was all because of a GUN.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the.fee.fairy
Faeryish

Flying free

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2005 12:17:31 PM »

right, to clear all this lot up, i will weigh out the pros and cons of equipment:

Gun:
1. the stud is NOT sharp, if you look at a piercing stud, the end is flat.
2. those things move at around 150mph
3. As has been said before, do you see an autoclave? if not, things are not sterilised properly.
4. The metal in those studs is not good quality...at all. you should be piercied with Titanium, Niobium, Zircon or PTFE, these are all virtually nickel free. Gold, no matter what carat is NOT nickel free.

Needle:
1, THe needle is sharp, it will cut cleanly through the ear rather than blasting its way through
2. Needle generally equals autoclave.
3. Needles are got out of sterile packaging, usually in front of you, so therefore, you know that they are sterile
4. needles are one-use
5. the clamps can be sterilised, and all other equipment can be disposed of in biohazard rubbish, something i have never ever seen at any of the 'gun' places.

I hope this clears it up, GUN = BAD NEEDLE = GOOD

THIS ROCKS   Logged

'The Secret to living's Not Dying' - Kilnaboy
PuckrUpNkissMoi
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2005 12:29:30 PM »

another difference is the needle is hollow, and therefore when it is pushed through the skin, it gouges out the flesh leaving an actual hole, instead of pushing through and merely displacing the flesh as a stud does. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~   air guitar staR

cathou

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2005 12:34:38 PM »

another difference is the needle is hollow, and therefore when it is pushed through the skin, it gouges out the flesh leaving an actual hole, instead of pushing through and merely displacing the flesh as a stud does. 
actually this isn't true, the needle creates a (clean) crescent shaped cut. But the gun crushes the tissue (ouch).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2005 12:53:04 PM »

So I'm going to admit it.  I got my cartilige pierced by a gun in Europe.  Twice.  But I couldn't find places to get it done!  And I had to have my European piercings!  In Paris, I found one place, and I showed up, and they barely spoke English, which of course I don't begrudge them, because, you know, Paris.  But they told me they were going to charge 55 Euro to do my cartilige, and even though they were all sitting around they told me I would have to come back 45 minutes later.  So I just couldn't.  The Claire's was 3 subway stops away, and they were quick and it's healed fine.  And then in London, well... my excuses aren't as good in London.  I was staying down the street from the Victoria station, and the Claire's was right there, and the really nice (and really cute, I might add) British guy showed me his license from his piercing school and we made him laugh about tales of girls in American malls talking on their cell phones while piercing people and well I did it, and it healed fine too.  I know, I know.  Bad Mer.  But desperate times call for desperate measures. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PuckrUpNkissMoi
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2005 02:19:23 PM »

actually this isn't true, the needle creates a (clean) crescent shaped cut. But the gun crushes the tissue (ouch).

... "The piercing needles are hollow rather than solid so that they actually cut a tiny hole through the skin being pierced rather than punching through the skin."  from http://www.howitworks.net/how-body-piercing-works.html    All piercing needles are hollow unless they are specially ordered for certain circumstances.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~   air guitar staR

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...