A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
196 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question concerning ear peircings  (Read 9790 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
cathou

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2005 06:19:07 AM »

another difference is the needle is hollow, and therefore when it is pushed through the skin, it gouges out the flesh leaving an actual hole, instead of pushing through and merely displacing the flesh as a stud does. 
actually this isn't true, the needle creates a (clean) crescent shaped cut. But the gun crushes the tissue (ouch).

... "The piercing needles are hollow rather than solid so that they actually cut a tiny hole through the skin being pierced rather than punching through the skin."  from http://www.howitworks.net/how-body-piercing-works.html    All piercing needles are hollow unless they are specially ordered for certain circumstances.

search "hollow needle" on http://www.bmezine.com/qod3/index.html and you will have a better answer with explication. I'm sure the howitworks website is not mean intended but unfortunatly it doesn't give trully acurate information. I was pierced with larger gauged piercing needle and never lost a piece of skin in the process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
StephInTheCity
candy-coated crafter

Crafting is sexy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2005 09:09:06 AM »

Not to sound like a broken record or anything, but piercings done with guns are just plain evil.  Bad, bad, bad!  Now that that's out of the way, I thought I'd mention a few other things. 

I don't remember anyone saying that a good piercer will wear hospital grade latex gloves (and many have non-latex ones for customers who are latex-sensitive).  So even if the piercer had AIDS (which is a ridiculous and offensive assumption to make), you're not going to get it.  You're more likely to get something from the person working at the mall who has been handling money (much of which supposedly contains traces of human feces when tested in labs--gross!).

I don't know much about the needle shape (hollow or whatever), but I do know that there are flesh punches (at least I think that's what they're called) that will take a chunk out of your skin, just like a hole punch.  I believe they are used mainly for large gauge conch piercings (the inside of the ear).  Thinking about that makes me squirm, but I have seen pics of them being done.

Finally, many states/counties/municipalities license tattoo and piercing studios.  The licensing process generally includes a health inspection.  I didn't check to see where anyone on this thread lives, but you might want to contact your city's health department to start with.  Someone there can probably tell you if and how licenses are granted.

Anyway, just had to put my two cents in...

[edited because i didn't spellcheck]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I was any more open, I'd be inside out.
DorkasaurusRex
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2005 01:28:12 PM »

I don't know much about the needle shape (hollow or whatever), but I do know that there are flesh punches (at least I think that's what they're called) that will take a chunk out of your skin, just like a hole punch.  I believe they are used mainly for large gauge conch piercings (the inside of the ear).  Thinking about that makes me squirm, but I have seen pics of them being done.

They are called dermal punches.  I almost had them done, but when I called my piercers to ask about them, they told me they refused to do them.  They said that dermal punching removes a piece of your ear that will never grow back, and they want everyone they do piercings on to be able to heal completely and entirely.  They did pierce me with an 8 gauge needle, although I could have gone as far as a 6, and I am heading back in the next couple of months to have them gauged up to a 4, and it will grow back if i ever decide to let it.  Although I read stories on BMEzine about little "tabs" of skin on the back of piercings done with larger needles that would eventually heal back into the ear, I never had those.  Just a nice clean 8G hole done with a nice clean needle. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Then he asked,"Lord, what about when there was one set of footprints on one side and also a straight line with bootprints on one side and small round circles on the other?" The Lord replied, "Those were when I carried you, and we were joined by a pirate pushing a wheelbarrow."
viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2005 01:37:14 PM »

guns are just plain evil..heh..i know some kids that got them dermapunched and it was the weirdest thing to watch...but watching someone get their ears scalped is worse...stuff like that, your ears wont go back, youd have to have them surgically done to fix it...at my friends shop they'll do all that, but they sit and explain it all very thoughly with you and give you time to think about it and look at pictures...i dont know which is worse..watching the scalping or the carterizing (sp?) after..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
StephInTheCity
candy-coated crafter

Crafting is sexy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2005 06:57:57 AM »

Oh, visciouskitty, I am almost afraid to ask... but what exactly does scalping entail?  I mean, I know what scalping means in general, but I've never heard it applied specifically to ears.  You have piqued my curiosity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I was any more open, I'd be inside out.
silencepainter
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2005 07:13:21 AM »

There are a few threads on this already, but there is NO WAY TO STERILIZE THOSE GUNS IN THE MALL. When you get your ear peirced with those guns, it jams a blunt object through your ear and while that is happening, everyone else's ear that has been peirced with that gun, goes into your ear also.

This is incorrect.  Things have changed a bit.  The guns, at least in my reputable places are sterile.  I got mine done at merele normans and the gun was sterile.  What happens now is that the handle is reused, however the part that holds the earring, and touches you is now disposable and a new one is used each time.  Perhaps not everyplace has this, but I've seen at least two places that do.

Now to be honest, I agree piercings with guns are not good things as a general rule.  But also to be honest, they are FINE for earlobes.  I've actually talked with piercers that will admit, that when it comes to earrlobes the guns really do work fine.  However any other part of the ear or body, should not ever ever ever ever be pierced with a gun.  As people have already said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
digitaldreamsx
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2005 08:19:54 AM »

time to share my story.

i got my ears done with a gun when i was a few months old.
they are digustingly uneven, and have yet to heal. this was almost 15 years ago.

i got my cartilidge done at the mall.
the woman who did it was the dumbest woman who ever lived. she tried to get my to get it done with a silver earing(im alergic to silver-real or fake) she told me that wasn't possible. she finally let me use titanium.
she dropped the earing (ON THE NASTY DIRTY MALL FLOOR! jersey malls are not all that clean) then tried to put it in my ear. i made her get another one (she tried to make me buy it-that wasnt happening) she didnt mark my ear or show me where she was putting it. snapped the gun, didnt go through. moved it it tiny bitt lower. snap. it went through but the gun was stuck. she tries to tell me nothing was wrong as she pulls on the gun. she gets the gun off then tries to do the other side. i wouldnt let her. THEN SHE WANTED A TIP

another one that hasnt healed yet...

i've done all my other holes and the healed within a month, not 15 years...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seika
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2005 08:25:02 AM »

I had all three of my holes done at the mall, cause they wouldn't do it anywhere else(which majorly pissed me off)anyways, Mine are fine, they seem to be even, and the only time I had a problem with infection was the first ones when I got them done with the fake gold cr*p.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
theartofmegan
Tutorial Contributor

One Crafty Wife Lady

Cr4ftN3rd. <3

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2005 08:32:05 AM »

All I know is, I was dumb enough to trust the dopey 17 year old girls who worked at the mall with a few of my ear piercings, but that's only because I didn't know anything about the piercing/tattooing scene yet.  And wouldn't you know it, my piercings are crooked.  Stupid kids!  Can't even pierce straight onto the dumb purple dot they put on my ears!  I mean really, do you want to trust something that not only is a health issue, but that you'll most likely be sporting until you're an old person to a ditzy kid with *very* little training who makes minimum wage to sell cheap jewelry to other teenagers?  Yeah, I wish I woulda known better.

That said, the hollow point needles don't remove a chunk of skin at all... They are hollow, yes, but not at the tip.  The nifty thing about a hollow point needle is that when they get ready to put the piece of jewelry into the fresh piercing, they just butt it up against the hollow end of the needle (the jewelry end is shaped like this: > ) and slide them through together.  

Now, as far as scalpeling goes, I was told by my former piercist that if you are going for a large gauge piercing, it's actually one of the easier ways to do so without your ear tearing or overstretching.  They actually do heal back together just fine eventually because it's nothing but a slit cut into your earlobe.  However, you can only go to a certain size depending on how big your earlobes are.  Personally, piercing my belly button pretty much freaked me out as it was, and the people that get their ears scalpeled have GOT to be a different kinda weird than I am.  That's for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art, Crafts, Fashion, Love.
http://www.theartofmegan.com

Visit my Etsy Stores!

The Art of Megan
Handmade, Vintage, and Recycled Craft Supplies at http://theartofmegan.etsy.com

HomeGrown Fashion
Unique, down-to-earth fashion, accessories, and home decor
http://homegrownfashion.etsy.com
Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

Couture is lame. End of story.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2005 08:41:00 AM »

There are a few threads on this already, but there is NO WAY TO STERILIZE THOSE GUNS IN THE MALL. When you get your ear peirced with those guns, it jams a blunt object through your ear and while that is happening, everyone else's ear that has been peirced with that gun, goes into your ear also.

This is incorrect.  Things have changed a bit.  The guns, at least in my reputable places are sterile.  I got mine done at merele normans and the gun was sterile.  What happens now is that the handle is reused, however the part that holds the earring, and touches you is now disposable and a new one is used each time.  Perhaps not everyplace has this, but I've seen at least two places that do.

Now to be honest, I agree piercings with guns are not good things as a general rule.  But also to be honest, they are FINE for earlobes.  I've actually talked with piercers that will admit, that when it comes to earrlobes the guns really do work fine.  However any other part of the ear or body, should not ever ever ever ever be pierced with a gun.  As people have already said.

I havent seen this in practice.  Is each disposable peice metal or plastic? Does it come autoclaved in packages? I dont see how peircers could say that guns are ok for any peircing.  Put the hygenical problems aside and look at how the blunt object smashes through your lobe. But thats just my thought on it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cyanidekustoms.bravehost.com
"I dont give a fu*k about punk rock no more" -The Dwarves
I want to give the Devil back the Devils' rock n roll!
Motorcycles and cars made of METAL....nothing gets to a girls heart faster... oh yea-  And crafting stuff that gives off toxic fumes....mmm m
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...