A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
382 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question concerning ear peircings  (Read 9788 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

Couture is lame. End of story.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005 08:29:49 AM »

There are a few threads on this already, but there is NO WAY TO STERILIZE THOSE GUNS IN THE MALL. When you get your ear peirced with those guns, it jams a blunt object through your ear and while that is happening, everyone else's ear that has been peirced with that gun, goes into your ear also. They wipe them down with rubbing alcohol and maybe some sort of disinfectant, but that is no way to clean something that gets blood and tissue all over it. You need an autoclave. It may look like they know what they are doing, but really, they do not. Hand em a peicing needle and the proper tools anyday, and they will be completely dumbfounded. There are peircing only shops that are very clean, friendly, and professionally trained to do such things. It may seem like its only an ear lobe, so why not...but really, its YOUR EAR LOBE, you only have 2 of em! They dont grow back. Call around your area and talk to peircers about peircing your little sisters ears. Most places will do it with parental consent. I dont think a tattoo/peircing studio is in any way scary. The people that work there, are very friendly, and talk to you throughout the entire process making it less nerve racking.

And Im sorry, just because you havent heard of these guns being unsteril and bad, doesnt mean they arent. I dont mean to step on anyones toes, but this is a really gross practice and more people need to do research before allowing foriegn objects into their bodies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cyanidekustoms.bravehost.com
"I dont give a fu*k about punk rock no more" -The Dwarves
I want to give the Devil back the Devils' rock n roll!
Motorcycles and cars made of METAL....nothing gets to a girls heart faster... oh yea-  And crafting stuff that gives off toxic fumes....mmm m
novemberlies
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005 08:36:37 AM »

i worked at claires (cough cough, shut it!) and pierced kids with those guns so i sort of know the deal.

guns hold earrings that have a notch on the end so that they can lock on the back (if that makes sense, it is done so that the back does not fall off while sleeping because they obviously do not use O-rings or horse shoes in the mall, haha) so when you are pierced with a gun it tears your ear rather than piercing it because it is not a straight needle.

the earrings put in guns are held in small plastic containers. These containers can never be completely sterilized because they are plastic so if the technician drops it while loading the gun or touches it without gloves there is a slim chance that you can get hepatitis.

i would find a reputable tattoo or piercing place, get recommendations, know people who have gone there. be smart about it.

good luck darling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DorkasaurusRex
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005 08:43:17 AM »

When I start spreading my evil seed, they will all be taken to my piercer at Acme.  I do adore him.  I have the first holes in my lobes "mall pierced," and as my second holes, I just got them done at an 8 gauge by my piercer (the jewelry healing in them, by the way, is a pair of 8G SS plugs and not rings, and they are doing just fine).  I am in love.  So as a girl having one of each experience, here is what I know.  Several points:

1) The gun is actually forcing a blunt piece of metal through your ear, therefore tearing through the skin.  Piercers (or at least GOOD piercers, check out http://www.safepiercing.org/) use surgical grade, sterile, bevelled needles that push the skin apart instead of tearing it.

2) Guns are not precise.  My gunned holes are uneven and it DRIVES ME INSANE.  I wear a lot of studs and one always hangs lower than the other.  My piercer and I decided to line up my second holes "geographically" and not according to my uneven mall holes because I want to get the lower hole re-pierced to be even.  No matter what piercing, my piercer always marks the spot with a dot of black ink and we both look at it for a few minutes and discuss placement.  When I got a matching set, he had me hold the mirror so he could see both ears at once and then even got a second opinion just to make sure.  If whoever is operating the gun even flinches, you're going to have an uneven hole.

3) My "huge" 8Gs are actually healing faster than my (20G) lobe piercings did.  They are less sore and I already sleep on them, even though I'm not supposed to.

4) Check out the website I mentioned for guys in your area.  Any piercer you go on there will be insanely clean.  My piercer puts on gloves and opens every single sterile package in front of me on a dental tray lined in that blue disposable medical paper.  He is a neat freak about everything and I am all "just get on with it!"

Having one of each kind of piercing in my lobes here is what I have decided:  I love piercers.  I do not love mall guns.  That's all.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005 09:00:21 PM by DorkasaurusRex » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Then he asked,"Lord, what about when there was one set of footprints on one side and also a straight line with bootprints on one side and small round circles on the other?" The Lord replied, "Those were when I carried you, and we were joined by a pirate pushing a wheelbarrow."
AWynkoop
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2005 09:04:27 AM »

Just my 2 cents... I had my ears pierced at the mall when I was 10 and  they got so infected I had to remove my earrings. Two years later I convinced my mom to take me to get them done again.  To the mall we went and wouldn't you know it, infection followed and I had to remove my earrings yet again. After that my mom refused to let me get them done.  Well, we all know how teenagers are, and I was no exception, and at 13 I wanted my ears pierced like all my friends.  So I took matters into my own hands...literally.  I pierced them myself with a very sharp sewing needle.  I made sure to boil the needle and earrings to kill any germs, washed my hands very well and sterilized both my hands and ears with rubbing alcohol. 14 years later and I have never had a problem. And yes, my mom was really mad when she found out I had pierced them myself! And yes, I would be mad a my 9 yo daughter if she were to attempt piercing at home. My advice would be to go to a good piercing studio, and avoid the mall at all costs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
Brewster

I have a very hot man in my av. With eyes or not!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005 11:54:25 AM »

I dunno, she also wants to have them stretched some day.  I guess the peircing/tatoo palror is the best decision then?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005 11:56:46 AM »

YES!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Motorcycles and cars made of METAL....nothing gets to a girls heart faster... oh yea-  And crafting stuff that gives off toxic fumes....mmm m
PuckrUpNkissMoi
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005 12:03:12 PM »

http://www.bmeworld.com/heidi/guns.html

if that's not enough to make you not want to be pierced by a gun, check out some of the pics.  EW.  (warning, don't look here if you dont' want to be seriously grossed out http://risks.bmezine.com/?Ear+piercing+stud)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~   air guitar staR

------------------------------

Don't just recycle ~ FREEcycle!!  Visit www.freecycle.org
Brewster

I have a very hot man in my av. With eyes or not!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005 12:38:53 PM »

Question, if she gets it done at the peircing place, will it be easier to get the peircing stretched when she older?
Sorry for askign so many questions, shes asking me to ask them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005 12:42:15 PM »

YES!
It will be a lot easier for her to stretch a clean, professional peircing than an infected, lumped, or uneven mall gun peircing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PuckrUpNkissMoi
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2005 12:44:31 PM »

I don't think it'd be easier to stretch, per se.  She would be able to get them peirced larger at first, though.  I can almost guarantee that her new holes will heal much nicer and easier if she gets it done with a needle rather than the gun.  Thus she can probably stretch sooner. 

I got one of my second holes done with a gun, and wouldn't ya know, a year later the stupid thing still wasn't healed and was a constant source of frustration.  I decided to stretch it and use horshoes instead of studs to heal, and man, 6 months later, i'm So glad i finally switched!  Guns just aren't worth it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~   air guitar staR

------------------------------

Don't just recycle ~ FREEcycle!!  Visit www.freecycle.org
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...