A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,057
Currently Running With Scissors:
188 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dying jeans....?  (Read 987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: May 08, 2013 05:25:24 PM »

I bought these acid wash jeans, they were a black denim with a nearly white acid wash. The material is 79%cotton, 19%polyester, 2%elastane. I used two shades of Rit dye, 1/3 Wine and 2/3 Cherry red for a deep red kinda color, and used the washing machine method. After washing they were pink. So I dyed them again using just Cherry red and they're slightly more red but still pretty pink. Why aren't they red? Is it the material??

Tutorial Contributor

Offline Offline

Posts: 4576
Joined: 02-May-2006

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013 09:14:17 AM »

Try the stove top dying method and let them simmer longer than the instructions indicate . after you turn off the heat let the jeans continue to soak over night before you wash them .. Ive had better results dying in this manner - good luck

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013 08:57:15 AM »

Yes, it is the material. Rit will dye the cotton fibers nicely. But, that's only 79% of the fiber in the material. The remaining 21% won't take the dye. So, no matter how dark the cotton fibers turn, the overall effect will be about 20% lighter.

I suggest using a fabric dye or paint that can color polyester fibers. I am not familiar with elastane, but I assume it is an elastic fiber that gives the jeans stretch. Ask your local craft store to help you find a dye or paint that will color synthetic fibers like polyester, or visit www.dharmatrading.com and browse through the differenrt dyes and paints, look for one that does synthetic fibers.

Follow the instructions on the box of Rit to set the dye. I don't use Rit much, but I think it sets with just a spin in the dryer. Then, follow the instructions on the new dye or paint and dye the jeans again, to color the synthetic fibers.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013 10:21:58 PM »

Thanks for the input! I'll probably end up trying one or both of those! Tongue

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Designated Cutting Boards
Tute Tuesday: Altered Journal Page
Magic and Luck

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2018, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.