A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,577
Currently Running With Scissors:
227 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LYS etiquette  (Read 3359 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
monstergirl
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005 06:06:08 PM »

I would call ahead; I did that last summer when I was having a guage problem, and my LYS told me to come down "any time I wanted" for help. Turns out I had a stupid question, and they were very nice about it. They've also asked me to bring in FOs to ooh and aah over.

If you're unsure, call ahead first. But you certainly don't need to buy something every time you went in!

HTH
peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005 06:12:26 PM »

i went to a NEW lys yesterday, had been browsing with no intention of buying. I looked at some hat patterns, but moaned to my mum (yeah! i go yarn shopping with my mum!) that they weren't knit in the round.
The lady working there was like, "Did you say you don't want to do them coz they're knit in the round?"
I explained, no, the opposite was true. I hate seaming things (now i've learnt to wrestle with dpns) because I SUCK at seaming things neatly, and straight off she said 'Oh, well, you can always bring something in and I'll show you how to do it, if you want.'

very friendly.
pity their yarns were kinda expensive.

just wander in and ask for help. hopefully they'll recognise you as someone they've helped before and be only too happy to sort stuff out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Archergal
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005 07:46:13 PM »

Please be sensitive though.  If you buy yarn and a pattern at Michael's or Walmart and have a problem, don't expect that every LYS will welcome you with open arms if you need help.  However, if you've bought the yarn or the pattern at the LYS, I wouldn't have any hesitation about going back to ask for help.

They're not necessarily there to help you with stuff they didn't supply you with.  Some may, but I wouldn't expect it.  Or I'd maybe expect to pay for that assistance. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annkari
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005 10:30:47 AM »

I work at a yarn store where we help every customer with their knitting problems, whether they bought the yarn at our store or elsewhere. You might have to be a little patient when the store is busy, but generally, we're more than happy to explain patterns or find solutions for botched projects.

I even wrote down a scarf pattern for a customer who, before entering our store, told her mother: "I hate this store, their silk clothing stinks!" before they came in (I guess they didn't realise I could hear them loud and clear  Cheesy). They clearly had no intention of buying anything, just needed a pattern because their grandmother had lost hers. Since I didn't have anything else to do at the time, I just wrote it out for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005 10:48:07 AM »

Call ahead. Then you can be anonymous if they're like the Yarn Store from Hell in Savannah that yahaira mentioned (that sounds awful!) and there's no embarrassment.

Having said that, I just wanted to share that I went into one LYS with a scarf that I had learned to make in a class at another LYS (we've got loads of 'em!) and I just gave her the puppy-dog-eyes "Can you *pleeaaase* help me...?" plea. (My question was stupid -- I was nervous about *blocking!*) And she was super, super sweet. She even asked me to bring it back when I was done to show how it had turned out.

Even if you're not buying something this trip, you're always a potential customer. If they know a *thing* about business, they'll respect that and realize that positive word-of-mouth is great for business (I kind of want to go to Plano, TX now, just to visit the Woolie Ewe!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005 11:14:25 AM »

Here is my take: 

It is a catch 22 in some ways....some stores are staffed very lightly and find that they help a large number of people with projects and fiber that were not bought there.  However, timing also seems to be important....going on a day when a store is slower, like mid-week, is also a good idea.

One LYS charges by the hour for lessons.  Sometimes, help is given for free, depending....and sometimes, one might have to plunk $5-10 for a half-hour to an hour lesson.  Not a bad tradeoff, overall.

I *can* see how some stores who are very small with small staff get frustrated with helping on projects that haven't been bought there....they are giving their time for nothing in some ways.  Is it good business to give time away?  Yes....in many cases. 

All I can say is if you go to a LYS and they help with projects that you didn't buy there and fiber you didn't buy there....then be sure to patronize them when you can. 

ruthee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
squeakyweasels

Knitter, Writer, Yarner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2005 11:49:12 AM »

One of the lys around me charges for help with questions. I'm not sure if it's a flat rate or hourly thing. My friend has gotten help from them a few times and I guess it makes it less awkward if you know you're paying for a service instead of asking for a favor. I think that's kind of weird, personally. When I worked in a craft store, that was my favorite part of my job, helping people with problems. I would love to help people with knitting questions all day. I mean, I would LOVE it. To me, that would make stocking and ordering and all the mundane retail tasks worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell ecofriendly luxury yarn, recycled at
http://stitchpop.artfire.com
starlings
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2005 12:31:32 PM »

I was visiting an LYS in another part of the province this weekend, talking about just this kind of thing with the owner. Her attitude - and I think this is common and commonsensical - is that asking for help with a problem on a project that you didn't buy yarn from her for is okay, as long as you don't make a habit of it.  In fact, she's happy to make contact with new people - it's a long-term investment in building clientele. However, some people will buy their yarn at Mall Wart and then regularly go to the LYS for the technical support they can't get a big, dumb store. This is understandably irritating for the LYS owners, a bit like someone bringing takeout to a restaurant and eating it with their tableware.

I'd recommend calling ahead. Tell them you're having trouble and ask if there's a time on the weekend when they're least likely to be busy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008 03:50:43 AM »

Use common sense - most people will be happy to share their expertise, at least at knitter's events (like Stitch 'n' Bitch nights) from other knitters.
But I can understand annoyance at people who buy from the cheapest online retailers and then expect knitting lessons from staff explaining how to cast on, knit, and purl.
Bottom line, what you expect is individual/subjective (e.g. whether/how much you have spent there being relevant).
No matter what the individual policy is at that shop (e.g. pay through the nose for a few minutes of help), there is no way I would consider it fair that they think you are RUDE for asking WHETHER anyone could give help. Ask nicely. If it's a simple question with a 20-second answer/explanation and they still refuse, you could argue that they are being rude/lazy. Remember though that some people have never bought from them and do not intend to, because it's nearly always possible to get something cheaper online, yet they expect lessons on technique.
I personally think some help, free and no matter what, is good business, but lots of staff time explaining all the details of stranded work is a waste of cash.
Basically, if you genuinely intend to give them some business in future, you can expect some help, but they don't know that you intend to give them business. So making that clear by buying something from them on the day is good manners. Otherwise, you're gambling. If you intend to buy online for a better price in future, no matter how much help you want /get from them, it's rude.
So it's a toss-up over whether they credit you with good intentions or not. From what I understand the market is like in the US, it might be fair for them to refuse teaching you. Think about whether you have bought from them in the past and whether they know you/know this, how much instruction you are asking for, etc, in deciding how much help you expect. Remember this is not the same as how much help they will fairly provide (e.g. whether the staff on shift at the time you come in recognise you or not). But regardless, it would never be considered rude to ASK about help. I know this is an old thread but hope it helps someone.

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyhands22
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008 09:48:59 PM »

I think I'm very lucky with my LYS.  I am a young (but very serious) 20 year old knitter and the ladies at my LYS are so sweet to me.  I bought the yarn for my first sweater there and ever since then whenever I go in they remember who I am, the pattern I am working on and what I had been having trouble with the last time I was there.  They always give me tips and things when I'm there and are always willing to help.  But, then again, I buy a lot of yarn there, probably too much.  But they have always been welcoming.
---In regards to your question (haha, sorry) I think asking a question is perfectly fine even if you don't buy anything, but if you are going to spend much time in there and plan on asking them to show you how to do something or ask them to fix something, etc, buying things may be in order.  But, I'm no expert.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Collapsible Tier Tray
Well, Hello (Art)Dolly!
Meatless Monday: Green Tomato Pie

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...