A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,281
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blueberry Boyfriend Bait - gluten free blueberry coffee cake  (Read 1406 times)
Tags for this thread: coffee_cake , blueberry , gluten_free  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 20, 2015 03:28:33 AM »

A friend loaned me an allergen free cookbook by Cybele Pascale that had a blueberry cake recipe in it.  Since I am now trying to bake gluten free for Jim, I made this to see how it would turn out.  We had friends over for dinner one night and I wanted to see if there was a gluten free dessert they would like as well.  I made this and the flourless brownies I just posted about, and they all stated they quite liked it, so at least there are two desserts I can make that Jim can have with friends!

The gluten free flour blend is not as fine as the wheat flour, but the cake is quite buttery and moist, so that helps to disguise it.  Next time I may not use as much of the sugar blend myself, on top of the cake, as we do not have as much of a sweet tooth. 

Also, we are not lactose/dairy, or egg-free, so I adapted the recipe to add back in the butter, egg, etc.  But I also liked this and am interested in enough of the other recipes to pick up a copy of the book myself to see what else we can make at home that Jim will be able to eat and like.

Blueberry Boyfriend Bait
(modified from Cybele Pascal's The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook)

makes 16 servings

2 C Gluten Free flour blend (I used Robin Hood Gluten Free)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs at room temp
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup milk
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, tossed with 1 tbsp flour blend
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, combined with 2 tbsp granulated sugar.

<note - I found this a bit sweet so maybe next time I will leave out 1/4 cup of the sugar>

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Prepare a 9x9 inch pan by greasing, and dusting with gluten free flour, tapping out excess <don't skip this step, the cake will still more without both steps, or lining with parchment paper>

Whisk together flour blend, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.

In mixer bowl, combine butters and sugars, and mix on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix on medium to blend well, scraping down the sides as needed. Add vanilla and mix well.

Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat on medium for about 15 seconds.

Add half of the milk and mix for 20 seconds.

Add half of the remaining flour and mix, then the remaining milk, mix, then the remaining flour, and mix, scraping down the sides as needed.

Add half of the batter to the pan, using a spatula to spread the batter evenly across the bottom of the pan.  Sprinkle with half the blueberries.  Top with the remaining batter, and spread as evenly as possible.  Top with remaining blueberries and sprinkle with the cinnamon mixture.

Bake in the center of the oven for 1 hour, or until the cinnamon mixture caramelizes, and the top is golden.  Cool in pan for 30 minutes before turning out.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Make the day before, as it gets better the next day!

More about it on my blog if you're interested

Here is the original recipe from the book/her site if someone is interested in the more allergen-free and vegan version, and she has many other allergen-free recipes on her site too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015 08:28:21 AM »

oh my word, do you have any left?   I'll be right over.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015 10:42:57 AM »

It does look quite delicious!  I like the dense texture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015 11:46:32 AM »

It is really super moist too, and even with the coarser flour, felt like it melted in your mouth Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015 11:49:42 AM »

It sounds like you have taken on the challenge to help your boyfriend cope with his disease...your adaptations made it better than the recipe! Grin

Can't wait to see what other cooking creations you came up with...the double brownies you posted also sounded so yummy!  Similar to a flourless chocolate cake that my mom used to make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015 03:32:44 AM »

I have been thinking of a flourless chocolate cake too.  If it is as rich as those brownies though, you certainly would not need a big slice! 

His family doctor diagnosed him as having psoriasis years ago and he had other symptoms of Celiacs since being a young child, so he never thought anything of it.  Except a few years ago he had another problem, and the ER doctor recommended and set up a colonscopy for him.  However, that was when SARS was occurring in our city, so all non-urgent procedures were cancelled and he never re-booked it.  Then he developed the same problem again this winter and I nagged him about getting that scope.  It was the gastroenterologist that did the scope that diagnosed him as having Celiacs.  For the last few years I thought his symptoms where related to the psoriasis - the skin plaques and inflammation, the joint pain being psoriatic arthritis, and the gastric symptoms perhaps the same inflammatory process in his gut lining - now I wonder if perhaps he doesn't have psoriasis at all, but they were all the symptoms of Celiacs (his childhood family doctor did misdiagnose other things).

He's been on a GF diet for about a month and his gut is better, his skin is better, and his joints are better - he's been off the wagon a few times, but for the most part he has been good (just forgetful), so he is seeing the benefits.

Now to make sure his family is on board - his father was already saying the other day that surely it couldn't be that bad as he's had it all his life and had been eating gluten.

Anyways - sorry for the rant.  I primarily do the cooking, and shopping, and I want him not to feel too much "loss" in changing his diet, so I have been trying many new things, and other than the yeasted stuff, he has liked many of the baking experiments. 

I just made a batch of GF peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies he and his non GF friends both like, so he is happy as PB and chocolate is his favourite combination.  I will be posting the recipe later this morning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015 05:56:04 AM »

A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with gluten intolerance...after years of misdiagnosis and so many symptoms that I really thought she was a hypochondriac...after six months, it is like she is another person! I am making up for my doubting her by trying to find good and tasty recipes I can make when she comes over to craft or chat...she has a sweet tooth, so a lot of what you are posting should fit the bill...thanks so much for sharing!

I am now off to look at you cookies...I just saw the post! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...