A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 318,160
Currently Running With Scissors:
308 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY repurpose wood dining table  (Read 204 times)
Tags for this thread: diy_repurpose_wood_table_makeover_furniture_ideas  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LondonRaider
« on: February 21, 2017 01:25:51 PM »

Hello to all! This is my first time visiting, reading, posting, etc., on this site, so I beg for you all to bear with me as I try to explain what I'm hoping to accomplish. I am grateful for any, and all, responses, ideas, and feedback in any form, and thank you for giving me some of your time!!! Smiley Here we go! (I don't even know for sure if this website is where I would post what I'm about to post, now that I think about it...I hope it is though!!!) I have an oval shaped wood dining table - it's maybe 4-5 feet long, 4 feet wide, and it has 4 wooden chairs. It's one of those tables with a seam down the middle that allows you to expand it. I don't have the extra piece to do that with it though, so I've never done it. Anyway to make a long story (at least a little) short(er), it's not in the "best" of shape. The table has been what some would call "rode hard and put away wet". However the wood is still in pretty decent shape, and with a little TLC could be beautiful again! The chairs are a lost cause though. They are beyond saving, rotten wood slats, some slats are even missing all together. I have no use for it as a dining table right now because I got a new(er) one, and I have 2 sets of patio tables and chairs on my front and back porches, so there's no use for it there either. However I am determined to keep the table and re-purpose it into something else. I am new to this beautiful, giant, amazing world of DIY and crafts, and the "bug of creativity" has yet to bite me!!! Please! I need any help I can get! What would you do with the table? How would you re-purpose it? What would you turn it into? What would it become if it were your table??? Any and all ideas are wanted and welcomed!!! Thank you again!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017 09:56:53 AM »

Do you have a link to a picture?  What kind of base does it have?  Are there salvageable parts to the legs - like any decorative finials, or slats that are intact, or skirting, or the legs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017 11:00:18 AM »

Sounds like you have a new craft table!

Your choices would be to refinish it as natural wood (either with the real wood color or with a darker stain), paint it, or glue paper all over it (decoupage).

Painting might be easiest:  Clean the table well, then sand the entire table to rough up the finish so the paint will stick.  Clean off the dust, etc. from sanding, let dry, then use 2-3 coats of a good paint, allowing to dry between coats.  You could paint different sections of the table (the 2 halves of the top, the legs) different colors if that would make you happy. 
From there, you could stencil or free-hand paint designs.

Refinishing would involve removing the old finish with stripper, (staining if desired), then applying several coats of finish (I would recommend polyurethane), sanding between coats.

Decoupage is probably the most lively, but can make the surface a little uneven--a nuisance for writing, but fine for eating or most crafts.  Sand the table lightly, then use decoupage medium or white glue to apply paper of your choice.  Old maps, wallpaper, pages from books or magazines; go nuts!

Once you decide what you're going to do, google around, check pinterest, or ask here for full directions.  You can also check out the Home Decor section of the forum https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=347.0

good luck and happy crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: An Orb For Your Yard
Tute Tuesday: Bamboo Project Bag
How Does Your Garden Grow?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...