A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,261
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how can I make bath bombs that equal lush in scent &power-mine are weak  (Read 2767 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

flamingo obsessed

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 19, 2015 04:31:13 AM »

Like many I am addicted to Lush..mostly when I am near a shop, I go in, use the testers and recoil in horror at the prices.

Last january, I was in their shop in Dublin and they had a huge box of bath bombs for half price. I talked myself into it and brought them home with glee. I adore a long hot bath at the end of the week, I stored the box outside of the bathroom because I was worried about humidity and the box was pretty, the hallway smelled glorious for months. I cut some in half to make them last longer, I divided the bubble bars in 3.

But now they are all gone. Sad

I have made bath bombs before, I have citric acid etc in the  house and a ton of essential oils. But I have never succeeded in making them smell as strongly as Lush, or colour the water as much (although that is less of an issue)

Has anyone succeeded, is the trick to use perfume oils as well as essential oils? I did a lot of experimentation trying to replicate their Karma soap blend a few years ago (recipe is on here somewhere) I made an amazing blend, but it still wasn't the same, then I looked closer at the package and saw 'perfume' . So is the answer to add some lush clone perfumes to my bath bombs? If so, where is a good supplier. I am Ireland and not everwhere delivers over here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, for supplies, surprises, flamingo themed things and general silliness

I would love to get my hands on charlie harper fabric.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015 03:31:39 PM »

I sometimes find the lush fragrances too strong for me - at least at the store (sensory overload).  I bet they do use concentrates of colours and scents.  I did get nice strong scent using a local soap companies blends, but I also did put a lot into my mix - and I mean ALOT.  As for colour, I did use food colour, so I wonder if you went with a more concentrated colour, like the gel colour, versus the liquid, then it may give you more vibrant colour.  I have not tried the soap colorants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

flamingo obsessed

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015 12:41:35 PM »

that is a good idea re the colour, pastes that they use for icing might work a lot better, It is more the scent though, I do agree with you about the sensory overload in the shop, if I stay there too long I get overwhelmed..

but maybe lots of scent is the answer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, for supplies, surprises, flamingo themed things and general silliness

www.pinterest.com/edelc
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015 11:30:09 PM »

Be sure to not use more than the manufacturer's recommended amount of fragrance oils. And DO NOT go crazy if you are using essential oils, they can be very dangerous and the way people without any real training (aka Multi Level Marketing) are selling them these days I think many people overuse them and use them in ways not intended.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
sporadic
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015 03:13:31 PM »

You can find a ton of crafting tutorials here, including several for different kinds of bath bombs:  http://library.rusticescentuals.com/

Check their recommendations.  You also may need to experiment with different fragrance oils.  I prefer using FO's over essential oils because of the variety offered.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

flamingo obsessed

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015 03:32:27 AM »

I agree with you MareMare, they are potent and like anything can be dangerous.

sporadic thanks for that link
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015 04:55:45 AM »

it's probably the layering of the scents that makes it seem to linger..try combining some scents together and let us know how it goes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
LoriFortini

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016 06:42:23 PM »

Great info - these are on my short list to try this gifting season!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lori
SunTrade2
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017 02:39:57 PM »

Be sure to not use more than the manufacturer's recommended amount of fragrance oils. And DO NOT go crazy if you are using essential oils, they can be very dangerous and the way people without any real training (aka Multi Level Marketing) are selling them these days I think many people overuse them and use them in ways not intended.

I so agree with this.  Many people do not measure the Fos or Eos.

Lush uses a bath bomb press.  They are able to compact their balls way more than if you do it by hand.  I think it makes a lot of difference.  I know some people invest of these presses, but I think the cheaper is like 500.  I personally not willing to do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017 03:04:48 PM »

Wow, did not know that about the presses but that makes sense! I actually make mine in a mini muffin tin and to compact them I press on the top with a 2 ounce fragrance oil bottle--it fits perfectly on the top and I just put a lot of weight behind it push like crazy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Suit Jacket Purse
Best Friends

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...