Finished pics from the Hallowe'en party this weekend! I made everything except the bodysuits - so the shorts, both capes, both logos and accessories, both belts (the BF conceived of the utility belt) and Batman's eyes and ears. The BF also constructed underarmor out of recycled cardboard that he taped to an undershirt.***More Finished Pics Below***
w00t! I have officially been making headway on my half of me and my BF's Batman-and-Robin duo costume.
It's my own design, you can see the sketch at this thread: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=412429.0
I bought a pair of high-waisted black trousers with a side zipper and no pockets at the thrift store and, standing with them on inside out in front of the mirror, sketched some lines and cut them into Superhero Shorts, inspired by the famous American Apparel disco shorts:
And my version:
I must say, I am absolutely tickled at how they came out. They look a little shorter than the AA version, partly because they *are* a little shorter, but also due to the angle I photographed them at with my laptop camera.
Here's a photo of my cape pieces cut out with the shorts:
The cape is a half-circle skirt pattern, and the pieces that you see are folded in half (so it looks like a quarter piece). I found this great lightweight fabric in the two perfect colours in the sale section of Fabricland. Score!
Stay tuned for more progress pics and please leave your C&C!
I'm holding the cape closed because I haven't sewn on the closures yet. After that, I just need the mask and I'm all set! I've been having some difficulty with the mask. My idea was to take some recycled plastic, heat it up, and mold it to my face. The first kind of plastic I tried (a yogurt container) didn't work well, it would only flex one way at a time. Gonna try it with a Coke bottle next. If that doesn't work, I'll try black craft foam.
I made the belt by covering some elastic in yellow fabric. It doesn't *quite* reach behind the buckle, because I measured it at a different part of my waist than where the shorts sit. Oh well.
The buckle, logo and stripes are all cardboard cutouts with leftover costume fabric hot glued around the back. I can adjust the placement because I glued safety pins to the back so I could use the suit again in the future.
The catsuit was bought online. Without the cape and with a different logo, it could also be a costume from The Incredibles!