A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,462
Currently Running With Scissors:
252 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Devil tail from Liquitex and tulle handmade fabric.  (Read 1433 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: July 14, 2012 08:47:06 PM »

There is a horror convention every 6 months very close to where I live. I'm planning a great devil outfit to wear when I go made from things I have acquired over the years. I wanted to incorporate a tail, but I didn't want just any old stuffed lump of fabric. I also recently quit my job so I have very little money to have executed this project.

I had made up some latex material similar to this when I made my sloppy joe costume this past Halloween, so I knew what I had to do. My budget was much tighter this time around.

I bought a small bottle of red Liquitex but everything else I had.

materials used:
small bottle red Liquitex
outdoor mod podge
hot glue
small section of a wooden skewer to make the vein in the point

I made the fabric by mixing Liquitex and outdoor mod podge (When I made the sloppy joe I mixed Liquitex and liquid latex but I couldn't afford it this time around).  I slathered it onto a table and painted on layers of tulle to make it sturdy but still flexible. I trimmed off the extra to create a log strip of fabric which I rolled and hot glued together inch by inch while stuffing it little by little with tulle. The hot glue seam is on the underside...it's not very neat looking but I coated that with more red liquitex to try to blend it.

the point is made from a separate square of the same fabric which I folded and cut to a point. I hot glued a wooden skewer to the end of the tail and sandwiched the point over it to create a vein. The seam connecting the two was coated with more hot glue and more red liquitex.

It's exactly how I wanted it...not too heavy and fairly long...
I just need to figure out how to attach the darn thing!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012 02:21:07 AM »

I love the look of it and the tip is perfect.

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
October 18, 2017 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Mix and Match Napkins
Tute Tuesday: Mini Top Hat

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.