A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 313,993
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WHAT THE -beeeep- IS THAT ? (with pics)  (Read 2448 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
theo not thea
« on: June 27, 2005 09:48:04 AM »

I went to a discount store down the road the other day, and i seen they had a pretty sweet sewing kit for only a buck 75. i didn't know what half the stuff in it was because it being a discount store there was no instructions or anything, so i bought it. now, im hopeing some of yous could tell me what this stuff is.

<This image is no longer available>

<This image is no longer available>
it says on the side, sewing gauge, but what does it do?

<This image is no longer available>
seems like some type of chalk...

<This image is no longer available>
I don't know...

<This image is no longer available>
I think this is a seam ripper, but im not sure, i used it to rip the seam of this, and it seams to work. ( tehe, its a pun sorta. seems - seams)
<This image is no longer available>
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010 04:30:02 PM by Aislynn - Reason: Edited to remove broken image link. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Offline Offline

Posts: 2358
Joined: 11-Jun-2004

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005 09:53:06 AM »

#1-I'm not sure actually, I have a few though, that my gramma gave me, so I'm wondering as well. I thought it was some kind of thing that you could "draw" lines on fabric without actually drawing on the fabric...just making indentions, but I have no clue.
#2-is indeed a seam ripper, good guess Smiley
#3-I can't really tell, the pictures kinda blurry, but you said it looked like some kind of chalk? Prolly chalk for drawing the lines and then cutting, chalk rubs off easily...
#4- sewing gauge, like a knitting gauge I guess. I have some of those too, and never use them...I dunno.

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005 10:02:17 AM »

#1 - Tracing wheel: you use it with some type of special transfer paper to transfer a pattern onto fabric....I don't know many people who actually use these.

#2 - You were right....it is a seam ripper

#3- Chalk for marking things on your fabric like darts and button holes. It comes off when you wash your fabric

#4 -  Sewing gauge.  You use it to measure an even hem-line

for better descriptions for these and other sewing tools, go to the following website.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005 10:03:55 AM »

Well, you are right about the number 2 item being a seam ripper. Be very glad you have one...they are soooo useful! I use mine a lot, as I make a lot of mistakes.

The chalky stuff is tailor's chalk. You make marks on fabric with it, especially when using a pattern. It's good for marking where button holes or darts or straps go. It wipes off easily, which is why it's cool to use on fabric.

The sewing gauge is basically a glorified measuring tape, useful, I guess, because you can slide the little marker to your desired measurement and then compare everything to that instead of finding the same little line everytime with your tired, sewing weary eyes. It's good for measuring seams or button holes or anything small and fussy.

As for the last item, I'm not compeltely sure about it, but I think I remember my mother telling me it is also for marking fabric. You dip it in powdered chalk or something like that, and then run it along the lines of your pattern. The spikes break through the tissue and leave little marks on your fabric. Don't quote me on that last one, though.

Hope that helps!!!

Save lives! Visit www.theanimalrescuesite.com
Offline Offline

Posts: 908
Joined: 02-Dec-2004

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005 10:08:11 AM »

1. Tracing wheel. Before photocopy machines or computers were readily available, people used to make copies on typewriters by using carbon paper (had a sort of inky stuff on the back of it) and more paper behind their main paper as they typed. There's a sewing version of this carbon paper; you trace your pattern onto the paper and it marks your fabric. There may be some other way to use the tracing wheel, but I don't know about it.  

2. Seam ripper. The most important sewing gadget! :-)

3. Tailor's chalk. You can buy replacement chalk to put in there; you can also use the chalk without the holder. II have white and blue chalk. It's harder and a little "greasier" or less dusty than normal chalk, so it makes sharper lines. OTOH, the marks don't brush away like regular chalk, so you probably won't want to use it on something that you can't wash.

4. Sewing gauge. Can be useful if you're trying to make several of something or a long line of something that's all the same size--it's easier to read the ruler with that thing pushed down to the correct measurement.

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005 09:57:56 PM »

The tracing wheel is used to mark darts and pleats on fabric.  You use tracing paper between the pattern and the fabric. Mostly I use the tailor tacks to mark my darts.  That is the little dots on the dart.  Use thread to match the seam.
Offline Offline

Posts: 421
Joined: 17-May-2005

Hi my name is Jessica I have a yarn buying problem

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005 10:38:05 PM »

1, i think might be a rhotary cutter...like roll it over the fabric and it cuts it
2, is a seam ripper
3, (the chalk) is probably used to mark lines on cloth, for marking etc.
4, measures your seam allowances

djungelorms friend
Offline Offline

Posts: 283
Joined: 08-Feb-2005

staying sane through grad school by staying crafty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005 10:42:26 PM »

wow, i feel like i passed some sort of test here, getting these all right.  my mom has them all.  and i am old.  or so the undergrads tell me.

the wheel thingy can also be used to trace existing clothes laid out on a sheet of paper--so you can make a pattern from them.

have you hugged a moose today?
Offline Offline

Posts: 908
Joined: 02-Dec-2004

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005 10:47:39 AM »

the wheel thingy can also be used to trace existing clothes laid out on a sheet of paper--so you can make a pattern from them.

Good idea. That sounds easier than going around with a pencil; I was tracing a nightgown recently and my lines were all wavery.

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Offline Offline

Posts: 2649
Joined: 08-Mar-2005

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005 09:37:54 AM »

your sewing gage is great for measuring the length of button holes. Also when sewing a button on you can use this laying the button on top of the gage and it will give you the correct distance your button should be from the fabric so it will easily go through the button hole.  It is handy for that. I probably have fourof them around here but can never find one when I need it.  Huh

To use the tracing wheel you they would use tracing paper. It has a film on it so that when you cut out your pattern you trace the edges it will transfer the lines onto your fabric. This transfer paper was very commonly used although probably not as much any more.  It does work for tracing old clothes too but you will still need some sort of tracing paper or carbon paper to make the lines show up.

Another really different use for the tracing wheel  is that it will perforate your paper for you. Use it in making your cards or tickets. I used it to make a two part ticket for an event I was working with.  Or even for scrapbooking if you are looking for a different edging.

The tailor's chalk us also used for marking your fabric with lines. Say for darts or something like that  or when you are making the spaces for your button placement or the button holes too.

You are getting a lot of advice on what these are for but your last picture has me puzzled. WHat is the green?  I just can't figure that out since the picture is fuzzy.


Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Updated Yardbird
Tute Tuesday: Apple Cozy
What The World Needs Now...

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.