A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
246 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lip balm flavor from Magestic Mountain Sage  (Read 1211 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Decaf
« on: June 26, 2005 05:23:10 PM »

Hey, I just ordered a lip balm base and 2 flavors from magestic mountain sage (www.thesage.com) and now that  I'm looking around Craftster, I'm wondering if I'll need a sweetener?  They don't mention anything about it on the site, (not even in the recipes section) so I almost assume they're pre-sweetened?  Does anyone have any experience with these products or at least an educated guess?  Thanks a ton!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LorettaYoungSkills

burn all the candles out make a wish but not aloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005 05:23:57 AM »

i dont think theyre pre sweetened. adding flavor to your lip balms is essentially adding a fragrance, the sweetner is what gives it its good taste when you lick your lips. i make many a lip balm but ive never used sweetner. i use honey in my recipe though (i dont use a base, i make my own) which gives it a bit of a taste but not much. can you get sweetner from magestic moutain sage?? i think i might on my next order, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lippybalm
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005 09:46:18 AM »

They are not pre-sweetened.

it's not necessary to use a sweetener in your balms, but if you do...try liquid stevia. It sweetens without altering your flavor.

When adding a sweetener, the sweetener has a tendency to sink to the bottom and not emulsify into your base.
to fix this.....add the sweetener to your base when its on the heat source. don't put the flavor oil in at this point.
remove the pot from the heat source.  stir the mixture until it completely cools and becomes "taffy" like.
(it'll be tough and tiring to stir for this long, but it has to be done.)
when this mixture is almost fully hardened, put it back on the heat source. stir as it re-heats to the liquid state.
now add the flavor oil, stir for a minute or two and remove.

if you don't do this re-heating method, the sweetener will sit at the bottom of your pot (or whatever you have the base in) and it will bead into little "liquid balls".

hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.baglunchco.com....tasty lip balm!
Decaf
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005 09:50:52 AM »

thanks a lot for the info guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decaf
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005 10:01:03 AM »

OK, another question....I found this "SteviaClear Liquid Stevia" online (http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/50953) and I'm wondering how much I'd use for a batch of about 50 tubes of lip balm?  It says to add 2 drops to beverage or food, but I'm not sure how that would translate to a batch of lip balm.  Thanks to anyone who can help (again)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lippybalm
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005 11:31:22 AM »

for a batch of 50 balms, I use about 1 and a half teaspoons.
This makes a really sweet balm. (sweet as in the opposite of savory, not like the exclamation "swaa-eeet!")  use a bit less, if you want a milder, less sweet balm.

i never follow the batching suggestions on stevia, in never seems to be enough in my opinion.
(could just be me, I'm a fan of sugary things!)

hope this helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decaf
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005 12:51:50 PM »

Hey thanks again for the great info, such a big help! 
But of course, yet another question...
I went to the health food store in town (the only one around) and found liquid stevia, but they only had big bottles for more than I'd like to spend, since I only need a little bit.  They did have powdered stevia for cheaper though.  Is there someway to use this instead?
Also, I looked around the grocery store and found liquid Sweet'n low.  Could this be an alternative to liquid stevia?  I realize it probably wouldn't be used in the same proportions, but could it be used at all in lip balm?  Thanks!...(it seems that the more I find out, the more questions I have!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lippybalm
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005 07:38:41 AM »

hmmm, I've never used the powdered stevia, So I can't offer advice there..

but as for the liquid sweet n low.. I wouldn't use it. It'll cut down the shelf life of your balm and you'll have to use a TON more of it in your recipe for it to produce any kind of sweetness in your balm.
(it'll end up boiling off your mixture pretty quickly. (which means it pretty much evaporates out of your base as it's boiled into your mixture. Plus, it could cause bacteria in your base, which you don't want!

http://www.wholesalesupplementstore.com/stevia.html .... try here for stevia.

also, www.thesage.com sells a product called "sugar kisses flavor oil" and it works just like liquid stevia.
(i've used it before and had great results.

or, if you don't want to bother with all this...www.brambleberry.com sells two pre-sweetened balm oils..
i think its caramel flavor and bubblegum flavor...

hope this helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...